Two way radios

Jay Beckham

Sep 28, 2016
Berkeley Springs, WV USA
My wife and I bike on a rail trail usually three times a week for 20-22 miles or so. Sometimes one of us will pull ahead or lack behind several miles. This occurred today. Thankfully she didn't have a mechanical problem until we caught back up together. But it could of occurred five miles apart or even ten. Where we bike cell phones are useless. So I want to purchase two radios that will work up to ten miles. This is a rail trail but it is in Western Maryland and there are small mountains around us and the trail follows the river so there is rarely a line of sight up the trail. Previously I had two radios about ten years ago rated at five miles that don't even work 100 feet or so.

Can anyone provide any ideas along this line? I would hope that Motorola would be a good brand but I don't trust any of the ranges I read in the ads.

Thanks

GMRS radios and a license. Spend money...acquire range.

Google up the reviews and the 'Best of 2016' results if you're interested.

The FRS radios always disappoint me. 10 miles my skinny white ass. More like a mile with line-of-sight operating conditions. And yeah, I've got some junk Motorola's, myself. They are good for finding friends in those huge outdoor gunshows and flea markets and that's about it.

Agree but would add you need full legal output. Can't remember if that is 3 or 5 watts or better yet study a bit and get your ham tech license. You should have repeaters to utilize in the area which will give you much more range.

Your question regarding maximum output power on GMRS requires a bit of reading the FCC rules. Try here for a more complete explanation of rules governing different max power rating on GMRS. Search the site RadioReference.com for good information on GMRS.

If you really want to get the most out of hand-held portable radios I agree with jhuskey on the use of Amateur Radio portables and repeaters. It takes a little work to get licensed but it is well worth.

Kenneth
N0VA