Two-wheel-drive Semi-recumbent tandem.

"A"

Dec 3, 2009
Something new at TW-Bent:

A 2-wheel-drive semi-recumbent tandem

What do you think of it?

2010bt2.jpg

Reminds me of a Hase Pino, with front wheel drive added...but on theirs (Hase), the front rider's efforts also go to rear wheel. Nobody neccessarily rides for "free".

It looks like a monstrosity to me. The 'captain' seat in rear looks like it was put there as an afterthought. The riding position is unreal. The whole bike looks incredibly clunky. Sorry, I guess you could say I don't like it.

blazingpedals said:
It looks like a monstrosity to me. The 'captain' seat in rear looks like it was put there as an afterthought. The riding position is unreal. The whole bike looks incredibly clunky. Sorry, I guess you could say I don't like it.

The idea is that both captn and stoker have full view of vision, stoker is not looking at the back of the captn's head all the time.
Communication between the two riders are much easier, no need for captn to take eyes off the direction of travel to say something to the stoker. Distance between riders' ears are closer, not need to shout to each other for communication.

I understand the concept just fine. It's hardly a new idea, just poorly executed IMHO. The captain's cockpit looks extremely un-ergonomic, even for an upright. What's that - six or seven inches between the saddle and the handlebars? That's a short reach, even for a midget - and then the bars would be over the captain's head! What that is, is a recumbent with a built-in tag-along, because only a kid could fit on the back. Which also means the steering is in the wrong place, because the captain should be the reclined rider in front. For a better execution, here's the Hase Pino, which has been around for a long time.
pino_steel09_p.jpg

... and before that was the Bilenky Opus III Counterpoint, which, although out of business now, was more refined than the Hase. This one is in my club.

dward.jpg

Neither of them are 2WD, but OTOH, I don't consider that much of a selling point for a road machine.

Have you ever ridden a semi-recumbent tandem or are you just posting your observations from pictures that you've seen?

My wife and I have been riding out semi-recumbent tandem since May 2008, over 1200 miles.. never had she stare at the back of my helmet while she rides.

Handlebar on the 2wd semi-recumbent tandem looks to me have plenty of adjustment to suit different size of riders in the rear.

You asked for my opinion and I gave it. I don't like it, and I think it's basically unworkable. You're taking this kind of personal. Are you trying to advertise it here?

I advertize my opinion of semi-recumbent tandem from my personal riding experience.

Have you ever ridden a semi-recumbent tandem or are you just posting your observations from pictures that you've seen?

You asked for opinions of that particular half-recumbent based on the picture, which is only a file picture, straight off TW-Bent's web site. Interestingly, not a pic of one you purportedly own (a "2010 new model" you have owned and ridden since 2008?) If you like it, great. Why do you need my approval?

blazingpedals said:
You asked for opinions of that particular half-recumbent based on the picture, which is only a file picture, straight off TW-Bent's web site. Interestingly, not a pic of one you purportedly own (a "2010 new model" you have owned and ridden since 2008?) If you like it, great. Why do you need my approval?

You mentioned no experience in riding any type of semi-recumbent tandem.
Your observations about semi-recumbent tandems are simply observations without riding experience, your opinions seem purely speculations without merit, but you seem to insist that your opinion should be in need of approval, opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one and all of them stink.

"A" said:
....opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one and all of them stink.

By your own reasoning, the same is true for your opinion. Just because the guy had an opinion that didn't mesh with yours re: a specific type of equipment isn't exactly a reason to act like a **** would.

Remember, you asked:
What do you think of it?
If you don't want to read opinions that don't fit your ideal, then don't post the freakin' question. You in no way qualified your question in terms of who was "allowed" to respond and whether their response had to be based on experience or could be just an opinion based on the photo. Think about that and how your snit now sits, relative to the constraints you placed (i.e., none.).

WTF have you got to contribute to the topic of this thread other than jabber about
my posts/comments?

GTFO if you don't have anything relative to contribute.

alienator said:
By your own reasoning, the same is true for your opinion. Just because the guy had an opinion that didn't mesh with yours re: a specific type of equipment isn't exactly a reason to act like a **** would.

Remember, you asked:If you don't want to read opinions that don't fit your ideal, then don't post the freakin' question. You in no way qualified your question in terms of who was "allowed" to respond and whether their response had to be based on experience or could be just an opinion based on the photo. Think about that and how your snit now sits, relative to the constraints you placed (i.e., none.).

"A" said:
WTF have you got to contribute to the topic of this thread other than jabber about
my posts/comments?

GTFO if you don't have anything relative to contribute.

Wow. You're a lot tougher than the other cheerleaders.

I see you can't respond about the points re: you acting as a jerk would to the other guy. As for GTFO, sorry. It's not your thread. It's public. Perhaps you ought to take your own advice if you're going to be so intolerant of opinions that differ from yours. Again, since you seem to have either memory or reading issues, the other guy expressed his opinion in a pretty polite way. You did the polar opposite in response to his opinion. Don't ask questions if the answers you get are going to twist your panties.

You still have contributed nothing to the topic of this thread, at least the other one pretend that he has some opinions, even though he lacks any valid experience with semi-recumbent tandems.

Looks like being sorry is what you're good at.. stay sorry.

alienator said:
Wow. You're a lot tougher than the other cheerleaders.

I see you can't respond about the points re: you acting as a jerk would to the other guy. As for GTFO, sorry. It's not your thread. It's public. Perhaps you ought to take your own advice if you're going to be so intolerant of opinions that differ from yours. Again, since you seem to have either memory or reading issues, the other guy expressed his opinion in a pretty polite way. You did the polar opposite in response to his opinion. Don't ask questions if the answers you get are going to twist your panties.

"A" said:
You still have contributed nothing to the topic of this thread, at least the other one pretend that he has some opinions, even though he lacks any valid experience with semi-recumbent tandems.

Looks like being sorry is what you're good at.. stay sorry.

Again, you failed to read your original question and successfully understand what it meant to the people reading it.

Levy all the insults you want, but don't think that you won't be seen for what you are and what you lack. Alas, all you've contributed to the thread is a bad attitude and ignorance. Of course, it's likely that bad boy persona of yours is the reason that all the other boys in the trailer park think you're the best.

Feel free to try an act like a tolerable, passably educated human being.

Again to you, feel free to contribute to the thread topic when you actually get out and ride sometime. What I lack is the ability to tolerate hypocrites like you who have nothing to contribute to thread but to provoke other in meaningless jabber. Get a life.

alienator said:
Again, you failed to read your original question and successfully understand what it meant to the people reading it.

Levy all the insults you want, but don't think that you won't be seen for what you are and what you lack. Alas, all you've contributed to the thread is a bad attitude and ignorance. Of course, it's likely that bad boy persona of yours is the reason that all the other boys in the trailer park think you're the best.

Feel free to try an act like a tolerable, passably educated human being.

'A' - Apparently, nobody here is qualified to respond to your posts. Which makes me wonder why you posted in the first place. I pointed out the Hase and the Opus as examples of well-designed combination tandems. I did not say I had no experience; although it's true I haven't owned one. I've checked out the Opus in my club up close, and was impressed. Maybe not owning one still disqualifies me from commenting. If so, well, you're not going to find many people who actually own one. Certainly not here or they'd have spoken up already. How many of them has TW-Bents sold? One?

"Checked out" a bike and ridden a bike more than often give a different perspective.
Now "owning" anything bike does not limit my ability to test ride when I see one available or owned by someone else.

Neither the Opus nor Hase Pino are 2wheel drive or rear suspended, that's what's new about the TW-Bent. If your opinions on TW-Bent's new 2wheel drive semi-recumbent tandems are negative, that's your entitlement, but at least be clear that you have never ridden any semi-recumbent tandem to consider their advantage or compare them to a regular tandem.

If you really want to find out, contact TW-bent and find out for yourself how many 2-wheel-drive semi-recumbent tandems they've sold, since it's pretty new, answer is naturally very few, wouldn't you say?

blazingpedals said:
'A' - Apparently, nobody here is qualified to respond to your posts. Which makes me wonder why you posted in the first place. I pointed out the Hase and the Opus as examples of well-designed combination tandems. I did not say I had no experience; although it's true I haven't owned one. I've checked out the Opus in my club up close, and was impressed. Maybe not owning one still disqualifies me from commenting. If so, well, you're not going to find many people who actually own one. Certainly not here or they'd have spoken up already. How many of them has TW-Bents sold? One?

Just turn him off, Alienator. He asked for opinions, and when he got one from me he attacked me for it. He's obviously a shill who was hoping to generate some interest in the product. It must have never occurred to him that we might not ooh and aah over it.