Two-year-old runner

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Harold Buck, Nov 14, 2003.

  1. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    My son is two years old, and he appears to be a natural runner. During pre-soccer practice, I
    noticed that he could outrun all of the other kids his age, and even all of the three-year-olds. He
    does the same during sprints at pre-football. So he begged me to take him to the track ("Daddy takey
    track?"), where he ran 95 laps of the quarter-mile track. The last lap, after I had implored him to
    stop, was in 57 seconds!

    I do force him study existential philosophy and particle physics, but I do not force him to run.
    This is something he wants to do. He does not train, he is just a natural runner.

    I'm interested in getting him into an UltraMarathon running program. He's too young for the 24-hour
    races, I think, but a nice 50- or 100-mile race would be fun for him.

    Last weekend, he entered a 5k race and won the race with a time of
    16:13. I think he could have gone faster, but it was very cold and windy. However, even if asked
    directly, I will not post any details about this race so my claims can be verified.

    Does anyone have any advice regarding his development? What about on whether he should be shooting
    for the Olympics in 2004 or 2008?

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson

    Tags:

  2. jobin

    jobin Guest

    Harold Buck <[email protected]> wrote:
    > My son is two years old, and he appears to be a natural runner.

    fascinating, absolutely fascinating.

    you could get in touch with these people to see when a book deal can be made:

    http://www.simonsays.com/

    also, get down to hollywood and see how soon you can get a movie deal. browse these sites for
    more info:

    www.pixar.com www.disney.com www.sony.com www.columbia.com

    see if a television interview can be arranged:

    www.cbs.com www.abc.com www.nbc.com www.cnn.com

    also see if these shoe companies would be interested in being future sponsors:

    www.nike.com www.adidas.com www.reebok.com

    if all this is overwhelming, not to worry. i can set things up. all i ask, in return, is a nominal
    fee of 2.62% of the revenue. i'm even willing to ghost-write his autobiography.

    oh, before i forget, make sure you get a website in his name. you wouldn't want cyber-squatters to
    give you a headache later.

    good luck and let us know how it goes. jobs

  3. [email protected] wrote:
    > Harold Buck <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> My son is two years old, and he appears to be a natural runner.
    >
    > if all this is overwhelming, not to worry. i can set things up. all i ask, in return, is a nominal
    > fee of 2.62% of the revenue. i'm even willing to ghost-write his autobiography.

    No way, dude. Harold's son is a natural writer, and
    the process of writing his autobiography would help him
    hone his writing skills to the keen edge that will prove
    necessary to document his future exhilirating successes.

    -dave

    --
    work: dga - at - lcs.mit.edu me: angio - at - pobox.com MIT Laboratory for Computer Science
    http://www.angio.net/ (note that my reply-to address is vaguely despammed...) bulk emailers: I do

  4. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > oh, before i forget, make sure you get a website in his name. you wouldn't want cyber-squatters to
    > give you a headache later.
    >
    > good luck and let us know how it goes.

    Thank you for your kind advice and support. As I say, this is what HE wants to do. He does not
    train. His is just a natural runner, although I will not provide any evidence to support my
    incredible claims even if pressed. You should just believe me without any supporting evidence. There
    is a documeted case of a five-year-old runner on this newsgroup, so you should have no trouble
    believeing my claim.

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson

  5. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    Harold Buck wrote:

    > My son is two years old, and he appears to be a natural runner. During pre-soccer practice, I
    > noticed that he could outrun all of the other kids his age, and even all of the three-year-olds.
    > He does the same during sprints at pre-football. So he begged me to take him to the track ("Daddy
    > takey track?"), where he ran 95 laps of the quarter-mile track. The last lap, after I had implored
    > him to stop, was in 57 seconds!

    Ah yes the old 95 laps for a two year old. Ain't nuttin', happens all the time. I hate to sound like
    someone with doubts but nice troll. If you can parley BS into money you will become a millionaire.

  6. Steve Common

    Steve Common Guest

    Harold Buck <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone have any advice regarding his development? What about on whether he should be shooting
    >for the Olympics in 2004 or 2008?

    Hi Harold.

    The only real difficulty I envisage is finding a Camelbak which won't knock against his
    heels too much.

    It's not that it's any hinderance to good form, indeed it may even encourage a "forward cycle" gait
    which is a good thing. No, it's just that something knocking regularly against you becomes very
    trying, mentally, after a few hours on the road/trail.

    In any case, get him to try out all race-day equipment (sahara cap, headbands etc) on one of the
    longer training runs so as not to have any unpleasant surprises "on the day"

    Best of luck to the whipper-snapper eh?

  7. jobin

    jobin Guest

    Dave Andersen <[email protected]> wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> i'm even willing to ghost-write his autobiography.

    > No way, dude. Harold's son is a natural writer, and
    > the process of writing his autobiography would help him
    > hone his writing skills to the keen edge that will prove
    > necessary to document his future exhilirating successes.

    sorry, my bad. i guess you're right. but maybe we can suggest titles for his book. how about "the
    buck does not stop here."

    i think that'll be a first: an olympic gold medalist who also wins the nobel prize for literature.
    maybe physics too, since i remember harold mentioned something in that regard.

    jobs

  8. jobin

    jobin Guest

    Harold Buck <[email protected]> wrote: ...
    > Thank you for your kind advice and support. As I say, this is what HE wants to do. He does not
    > train. His is just a natural runner, although I will not provide any evidence to support my
    > incredible claims even if pressed. You should just believe me without any supporting evidence.
    > There is a documeted case of a five-year-old runner on this newsgroup, so you should have no
    > trouble believeing my claim.

    absolutely, harold. why should i not believe you? those who don't believe you are enemies of
    freedom. they are ruining the future of an amazing child. the better he gets, the more personal
    their diatribes will get.

    btw, would you mind sending me some of his genes in a bottle? i'll keep it for future use or maybe
    sell it on e-bay. i'm willing to pay UPS ground shipping.

    thanks jobs

  9. Lyndon

    Lyndon Guest

    Harold Buck wrote:

    >My son is two years old, and he appears to be a natural runner. During pre-soccer practice, I
    >noticed that he could outrun all of the other kids his age, and even all of the three-year-olds. He
    >does the same during sprints at pre-football. So he begged me to take him to the track ("Daddy
    >takey track?"), where he ran 95 laps of the quarter-mile track. The last lap, after I had implored
    >him to stop, was in 57 seconds!
    >
    > I do force him study existential philosophy and particle physics, but I do not force him to run.
    > This is something he wants to do. He does not train, he is just a natural runner.
    >
    >I'm interested in getting him into an UltraMarathon running program. He's too young for the 24-hour
    >races, I think, but a nice 50- or 100-mile race would be fun for him.
    >
    >Last weekend, he entered a 5k race and won the race with a time of
    >16:13. I think he could have gone faster, but it was very cold and windy. However, even if asked
    > directly, I will not post any details about this race so my claims can be verified.
    >
    >Does anyone have any advice regarding his development? What about on whether he should be shooting
    >for the Olympics in 2004 or 2008?

    Harold, when are you going to get serious? He's never going to break Geb's WRs by the time he's 3
    this way. You've got to get him training 3 times a day, 150 miles a week with at least a 50 mile
    long run (barefoot, of course). Then, when he grows into it, you can up it to 500 or so for the
    week. And don't forget to keep going back to Balco's website for their steroid of the week.

    On a more serious note, Track and Field News has a thread "On Not Pushing Your Kids," which contains
    this note from Jim Spivey:

    "My son, Seb, at age 12, already passed my PR in the mile as a sophomore in gym class, 5:45. He
    ran 5:35 for a mile last spring. He said he does not like the mile, it hurt too much. I pointed
    out that his splits were 37-76 - 90-93- 77, and that if I ran a mile with those splits, it would
    hurt too. I also pointed out that his first and last 400 added up to 2:33, missing his PR in the
    800 by 1 second.

    He is skipping CC this fall, which at age 13, I am glad. Too much running for a kid that grew 4"
    last spring."

    Jim Spivey is one of the finest distance runners this country has ever produced, and his son is the
    one NOT running xc at age 13.......something to think about.

    Lyndon

    "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson

  10. B

    B Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:29:23 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] wrote:

    >Harold Buck <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> My son is two years old, and he appears to be a natural runner.
    >

    >fascinating, absolutely fascinating.
    >
    >you could get in touch with these people to see when a book deal can be made:
    >
    >http://www.simonsays.com/
    >
    >also, get down to hollywood and see how soon you can get a movie deal. browse these sites for
    >more info:
    >
    >www.pixar.com www.disney.com www.sony.com www.columbia.com
    >
    >see if a television interview can be arranged:
    >
    >www.cbs.com www.abc.com www.nbc.com www.cnn.com
    >
    >also see if these shoe companies would be interested in being future sponsors:
    >
    >www.nike.com www.adidas.com www.reebok.com
    >
    >if all this is overwhelming, not to worry. i can set things up. all i ask, in return, is a nominal
    >fee of 2.62% of the revenue. i'm even willing to ghost-write his autobiography.
    >
    >oh, before i forget, make sure you get a website in his name. you wouldn't want cyber-squatters to
    >give you a headache later.
    >
    >good luck and let us know how it goes. jobs

    I agree, how TOTALLY astounding, imagine a child who runs, wow!

  11. Tom C.

    Tom C. Guest

    I believe you, um-hmm, you're telling the truth, yup. You couldn't lie if you tried to, uh-huh, yup.
    All truth comes from Harold Buck, yup!!! Can I follow you in some kind of cult thing or something???
    Your 2 year old can be your side-kick, kinda like Minnie-Me.

    "Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >

    > > oh, before i forget, make sure you get a website in his name. you wouldn't want cyber-squatters
    > > to give you a headache later.
    > >
    > > good luck and let us know how it goes.
    >

    > Thank you for your kind advice and support. As I say, this is what HE wants to do. He does not
    > train. His is just a natural runner, although I will not provide any evidence to support my
    > incredible claims even if pressed. You should just believe me without any supporting evidence.
    > There is a documeted case of a five-year-old runner on this newsgroup, so you should have no
    > trouble believeing my claim.
    >
    > --Harold Buck
    >

    > "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."
    >
    > - Homer J. Simpson

  12. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    [Um, just in case it's lost on some of you, my post was a parody of the guy who said his
    five-year-old was a natural runner but who ignored requests for info about the kid's supposed
    recent 5k run.]

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson

  13. Tenkman

    Tenkman Guest

    "Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Ah yes the old 95 laps for a two year old. Ain't nuttin', happens all the time. I hate to sound
    > like someone with doubts but nice troll. If you can parley BS into money you will become a
    > millionaire.

    Come on Doug, even an old fart like you should know that Harold was making fun of the recent 5
    year-old who runs fast post. You weren't having a senior moment were you?

    Anyway, how is the training going?

    > --
    > Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email protected]

  14. Barry

    Barry Guest

    Harold Buck wrote:

    > My son is two years old, and he appears to be a natural runner. During pre-soccer practice, I
    > noticed that he could outrun all of the other kids his age, and even all of the three-year-olds.
    > He does the same during sprints at pre-football. So he begged me to take him to the track ("Daddy
    > takey track?"), where he ran 95 laps of the quarter-mile track. The last lap, after I had implored
    > him to stop, was in 57 seconds!

    My wife claims that our son, who hasn't even been born yet, runs a 10k every night even though she
    implores him to stop.

    Frankly I didn't believe her, since neither she nor I has any running ability.

    But now you've got me thinking that she might be telling the truth, perhaps running ablity does
    manifest itself earlier than we might think.

    --
    Barry

    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. --
    Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

  15. B

    B Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:04:43 -0600, Barry <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My wife claims that our son, who hasn't even been born yet, runs a 10k every night even though she
    >implores him to stop.
    >
    >Frankly I didn't believe her, since neither she nor I has any running ability.
    >
    >But now you've got me thinking that she might be telling the truth, perhaps running ablity does
    >manifest itself earlier than we might think.

    Perhaps he's wanking his lil' monster? Did that occur to her?

  16. Pier-14

    Pier-14 Guest

    My five year olds time was 27.32.8 in his first 5k. The details are online at two sites with
    pictures of the both of us. So why don't I tell you where to look? Simple I have nothing to prove to
    you. We both finished in the top ten in our age classes although there technically is no five year
    age class, he came in 7th anyway wedged inbetween 13 and 15 year olds. "Harold Buck"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My son is two years old, and he appears to be a natural runner. During pre-soccer practice, I
    > noticed that he could outrun all of the other kids his age, and even all of the three-year-olds.
    > He does the same during sprints at pre-football. So he begged me to take him to the track ("Daddy
    > takey track?"), where he ran 95 laps of the quarter-mile track. The last lap, after I had implored
    > him to stop, was in 57 seconds!
    >
    > I do force him study existential philosophy and particle physics, but I do not force him to run.
    > This is something he wants to do. He does not train, he is just a natural runner.
    >
    > I'm interested in getting him into an UltraMarathon running program. He's too young for the
    > 24-hour races, I think, but a nice 50- or 100-mile race would be fun for him.
    >
    > Last weekend, he entered a 5k race and won the race with a time of
    > 16:13. I think he could have gone faster, but it was very cold and windy. However, even if asked
    > directly, I will not post any details about this race so my claims can be verified.
    >
    > Does anyone have any advice regarding his development? What about on whether he should be shooting
    > for the Olympics in 2004 or 2008?
    >
    > --Harold Buck
    >

    > "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."
    >
    > - Homer J. Simpson

  17. Pier-14

    Pier-14 Guest

    Now that I think of it he was photographed at his last football game and those pictures are online
    as well. "Pier-14" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My five year olds time was 27.32.8 in his first 5k. The details are online at two sites with
    > pictures of the both of us. So why don't I tell you
    where
    > to look? Simple I have nothing to prove to you. We both finished in the
    top
    > ten in our age classes although there technically is no five year age
    class,
    > he came in 7th anyway wedged inbetween 13 and 15 year olds. "Harold Buck" <no_o[email protected]>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > My son is two years old, and he appears to be a natural runner. During pre-soccer practice, I
    > > noticed that he could outrun all of the other kids his age, and even all of the three-year-olds.
    > > He does the same during sprints at pre-football. So he begged me to take him to the track
    > > ("Daddy takey track?"), where he ran 95 laps of the quarter-mile track. The last lap, after I
    > > had implored him to stop, was in 57 seconds!
    > >
    > > I do force him study existential philosophy and particle physics, but I do not force him to
    > > run. This is something he wants to do. He does not train, he is just a natural runner.
    > >
    > > I'm interested in getting him into an UltraMarathon running program. He's too young for the
    > > 24-hour races, I think, but a nice 50- or 100-mile race would be fun for him.
    > >
    > > Last weekend, he entered a 5k race and won the race with a time of
    > > 16:13. I think he could have gone faster, but it was very cold and windy. However, even if asked
    > > directly, I will not post any details about this race so my claims can be verified.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any advice regarding his development? What about on whether he should be
    > > shooting for the Olympics in 2004 or 2008?
    > >
    > > --Harold Buck
    > >

    > > "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."
    > >
    > > - Homer J. Simpson

  18. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Pier-14" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > My five year olds time was 27.32.8 in his first 5k. The details are online at two sites with
    > pictures of the both of us. So why don't I tell you where to look? Simple I have nothing to
    > prove to you.

    Ah, but we have no reason to believe you're anything but a troll. When you make incredible claims,
    it's up to you to provide some evidence. If you try to say garbage like, "I have nothing to prove to
    you," we conclude quite fairly that you're most likely a liar.

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson

  19. > Ah, but we have no reason to believe you're anything but a troll. When you make incredible claims,
    > it's up to you to provide some evidence. If you try to say garbage like, "I have nothing to prove
    > to you," we conclude quite fairly that you're most likely a liar.

    Well said, Harold.

    BTW, my kid could outrun his kid, even with him pushing me in my wheelchair-stroller that we rigged
    up from two old baby joggers. ;-)

    Scott C.

  20. Drlith

    Drlith Guest

    "Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [Um, just in case it's lost on some of you, my post was a parody of the guy who said his
    > five-year-old was a natural runner but who ignored requests for info about the kid's supposed
    > recent 5k run.]

    Man, you're like those guys who tell a really lame joke, and then sit there bouncing up and down,
    practically peeing in their pants, saying "Djagetit? Djagetit?"