Tyler Doping

Steiger said:
Breaks my heart. I like Tyler a lot, as a cyclist and a person. He's the closest thing I've got to a bike hero. I hope, hope, hope he can vindicate himself; it'll be very disappointing if he can't.

The only silver lining is that the test in question is essentially brand new, which gives Tyler and his guys a starting point from which to make a case. The test involves a tricky technique, apparently, and the ultimate result is a probability reading requiring a level of interpretation. We'll see what the next few weeks yield, but all in all, it's a sad week for cycling.

:(

Steiger said:
What are your thoughts? This a big blow to USA cycling and cycling in general.

Its like hearing Mother Teresa was running a cat house. I too hope it is some kind of bad mistake.I am still in denial.

lokstah said:
Breaks my heart. I like Tyler a lot, as a cyclist and a person. He's the closest thing I've got to a bike hero. I hope, hope, hope he can vindicate himself; it'll be very disappointing if he can't.

The only silver lining is that the test in question is essentially brand new, which gives Tyler and his guys a starting point from which to make a case. The test involves a tricky technique, apparently, and the ultimate result is a probability reading requiring a level of interpretation. We'll see what the next few weeks yield, but all in all, it's a sad week for cycling.

:(
I like him to and I dont think he's doping, he just doesnt look like the type to dope.

ryan_velo said:
I like him to and I dont think he's doping, he just doesnt look like the type to dope.

and who DOES look like the type?? I think we're going to see many more big names get exposed. Even LA's insurers suspect him and are witholding bonuses due to it. Michele Ferrari, (whom LA defended vigourously, hence the whole LA/Simeoni debacle) has been found guilty of administering doping substances etc and we all know who he assists.)

well, whatever happens, tyler will always be thought of with suspicion, even if he somehow manages to get this overturned. But i guess 95% of pro cyclists are thought of with suspicion anyway.

My personal opinion of Tyler won't change if it is confirmed or isn't... he does what he has to in order to be competitive in professional cycling... and performance enhancing "techniques" are part of that scene. What is really disappointing is how his sponsor and team will drop him like a hot potatoe and feine total "surprise and disappointment." Are they also going to fire all their team doctors, trainers and management and clean house?... don't think so. But then again I suppose the athlete gets all the glory... maybe its only fair that they get all the shame on the other end of the stick. But I mean really... how surprised can any of us really be... he was a member of U.S. Postal for how many years? ;)

fallen^sparrow :)

I dissagree fallensparrow, my wife works directly with phonak employees and has known many for years, including Andy Rihs. She has a high opinion of them -- one that I agree with based on the several that I've met. I do question they're quick position shift from supporting Tyler until there is 100% proof on Tuesday, and dropping him on Wednesday... but hey, they've got a business and reputation to protect.

And although I'm optimistic that there was some kind of error in the testing process, if Tyler is found guilty at the end of the day, my opinion of him will definitely change. Doping is really dragging the sport of cycling down, and hurting the reputations of all involved. This is a real bummer.

FYI -- statement from Tyler released today by team phonak explaining the suspension:

First of all I would like to discuss the recent press releases concerning my suspension from the team. This decision was taken jointly by Andy Rihs in his function as team owner and myself and communicated already during the press conference held on Tuesday evening. I am still a member of the Phonak-Cycling-Team and will continue to participate in the day to day decisions concerning our team.

With regard to the B-test from the Olympic Games no official information has been provided to me as of today. However, I am sure that the Gold medal that I worked so hard for will stay in my hands. I guarantee that I represented the United States of America as an honest, clean and proud athlete. As the Olympic Committee did not promptly inform me of the alleged anti-doping violation until one month after the event on August 18, 2004, it was not possible to defend myself before. Regardless of this I will prove my innocence.

I will support the scientific board established by Phonak Cycling and myself, which I strongly believe will put light on the questions we have on the reliability of this new test. Hopefully with this scientific team, we can find a fool-proof method to this test in order to the prevent other athletes ending up in the same situation. I believe that this is the only way to bring clarity to this matter.

It is necessary that I will be released from the allegations based on a scientifically conducted correction of the testing method. It is of further essence that I can as soon as possible, together with my team, form part of a reinstated reputation with evidence that I have contributed to valid, reliable and watertight measures in the anti-doping campaign. In this sense I fully support this research & development project, and I am confident that its result will bring me back to cycling soon so I can pursue my dream of winning the Tour de France.

I very much appreciate the support of my family, my friends, my team and fans."