Tyler Hamilton: Depression, luck and illness? horrible combination!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mareblu

Mar 16, 2004
Poor Tyler, this year has not seemed so far to go just right for this great american cyclist. First, the death of his dog, the illness at the TDF and now stomack problems and gone from The Vuelta.

I just wonder, does this year hold any other winning races for him? perhaps at the Championships in Verona Italy? :confused:

Mareblu
[email protected]

I guess not! this is what I just read on www.velonews.com:

No worlds for Hamilton
Tyler Hamilton won't be making a run for the world time trial championships title after all.

The Olympic time trial champion pulled out of the Vuelta a España after Thursday's difficult climbing stage complaining of a possible stomach virus that sapped his strength.

According to Phonak team director Alvaro Pino, Hamilton's season is finished.

"Tyler decided that after the Vuelta, his racing season for 2004 is over," Pino told VeloNews before Saturday's start. "He's satisfied with how his season has ended, with the Olympic medal and a stage victory in the Vuelta."

Hamilton started the Vuelta with what he called no pressure, but many tipped him as a challenger for the overall title. His stock rose even more when he won the time trial in stage 8 to become the first American to win stages in all three grand tours.

But Hamilton faded out of contention after struggling up the Aitana climb the following day. While he left open the possibility to stay in the Vuelta and challenge for the remaining two individual time trial, his continued struggles up Calar Alto cemented his decision to put the season on ice..

mareblu said:
Poor Tyler, this year has not seemed so far to go just right for this great american cyclist. First, the death of his dog, the illness at the TDF and now stomack problems and gone from The Vuelta.

I just wonder, does this year hold any other winning races for him? perhaps at the Championships in Verona Italy? :confused:

Mareblu
[email protected]
Heh if you belive all that! Of course he is very unlucky (falls on TdF and VaE, death of his dog), but these stomach problems are suspicious! I belive that T-Mobile and Ag2R had these problems, but it is funny that some of retired riders from other teams said the same hehe! These stomach problems are too much popular to be true in all cases..

I think Tyler was planning that, as some other riders did! He retired from VaE and he will go for TT gold in WC!

It wasn't all bad. He did win the Olympic Time Trial...and a stage in the VaE (which might be a TT but not sure).

1st overall Tour de Romandie
1st stage Tour de Romandie
2nd overall Dauphine Libere
2nd 2 stages Dauphine Libere
2nd stage Veulta al Pais Vasco
3rd stage Tour de Romandie
4th stage Tour de Romandie
5th prologue Tour de Romandie
8th stage Tour de Romandie
8th stage Critérium International
8th stage Veulta al Pais Vasco
8th stage Paris-Nice
9th Liege-Bastogne-Liege
9th stage Veulta al Pais Vasco
10th stage Critérium International
12th overall Critérium International

Jakebrake said:
1st overall Tour de Romandie
1st stage Tour de Romandie
2nd overall Dauphine Libere
2nd 2 stages Dauphine Libere
2nd stage Veulta al Pais Vasco
3rd stage Tour de Romandie
4th stage Tour de Romandie
5th prologue Tour de Romandie
8th stage Tour de Romandie
8th stage Critérium International
8th stage Veulta al Pais Vasco
8th stage Paris-Nice
9th Liege-Bastogne-Liege
9th stage Veulta al Pais Vasco
10th stage Critérium International
12th overall Critérium International

Yeah, you're so right Jake, my man. Hamilton just sucks. I don't know why he bothers either.... :rolleyes:

Heh yes, he realy is unlucky! New blood test kicks ass, so they must be more careful in future...Tyler probably wasnt...

Virenque said:
Heh yes, he realy is unlucky! New blood test kicks ass, so they must be more careful in future...Tyler probably wasnt...

Virenque, I know, he is a great cyclist! and I still believe what he is saying.....after all, look at what has happened with Lance. Did they prove anything on him?
I haven't read "any" tests in which he tested POSITIVE but the french condemned him right away since 1999.

First off, big ups to mareblu who managed to bring us the news before any english sites had it. And from Spanish??? Good work!!

Secondly, Tyler has had a **** time of it lately. Poor guy.

I read somewhere that he has pulled out of Verona??? Saying that he is happy with his season etc etc. Is this true anyone?? If it was, what conclusion do we make of it. Do we say, yeah well fair enough. I mean he did win TT gold and has had some good results in other races. Or do we look at it with more suspect. Could he not concentrate 100% on Verona if he has to battle with a positive test accusations? Are these accusations infact true and he is just covering his tracks? Who knows! I guess we will find out.

As for the comments that perhaps the other riders that pulled out of Veulta with stomach problems were also suspect, I just don't know if i buy that. I mean it could be true. But Im just not covinced. How many BIG names like Tyler did pull out of the Veulta?

I am not saying Tyler is guilty, and i hope for the sake of the sport that he isn't. Because I belive top level cycling is just starting to gain trust with regards to doping.

Tyler has jumped to his own defence sayiing he is 100% innocent. But what rider dosn't say that as soon as they are under suspision? Thats like the general statment that is made when something like this happens. How much do we belive a rider when they say this? I guess we should belive Tyler though, as he has always declared his innocense and has always been innocent so why should we bail on him now.

Well they are just my thoughts, and i will say that i am new to the world of cycling so i am probably way off base with my comments!!

mareblu said:
Virenque, I know, he is a great cyclist! and I still believe what he is saying.....after all, look at what has happened with Lance. Did they prove anything on him?
I haven't read "any" tests in which he tested POSITIVE but the french condemned him right away since 1999.
Yes, Lance never tested positive, but Tyler did! I dont want to start the new debate here, but the reasons why most of the peloton never tested positive are next:
1. They are using doping for training, of course not for racing!
2. Urine doping tests, which are done at rider`s home can detect just (?) EPO and it cant detect all other doping methods, such is blood transfer, growth hormone, ...

I think "Do you think LA is doping?" is the right topic to talk about that..

sportzgurl said:
First off, big ups to mareblu who managed to bring us the news before any english sites had it. And from Spanish??? Good work!!

Secondly, Tyler has had a **** time of it lately. Poor guy.

I read somewhere that he has pulled out of Verona??? Saying that he is happy with his season etc etc. Is this true anyone?? If it was, what conclusion do we make of it. Do we say, yeah well fair enough. I mean he did win TT gold and has had some good results in other races. Or do we look at it with more suspect. Could he not concentrate 100% on Verona if he has to battle with a positive test accusations? Are these accusations infact true and he is just covering his tracks? Who knows! I guess we will find out.

As for the comments that perhaps the other riders that pulled out of Veulta with stomach problems were also suspect, I just don't know if i buy that. I mean it could be true. But Im just not covinced. How many BIG names like Tyler did pull out of the Veulta?

I am not saying Tyler is guilty, and i hope for the sake of the sport that he isn't. Because I belive top level cycling is just starting to gain trust with regards to doping.

Tyler has jumped to his own defence sayiing he is 100% innocent. But what rider dosn't say that as soon as they are under suspision? Thats like the general statment that is made when something like this happens. How much do we belive a rider when they say this? I guess we should belive Tyler though, as he has always declared his innocense and has always been innocent so why should we bail on him now.

Well they are just my thoughts, and i will say that i am new to the world of cycling so i am probably way off base with my comments!!

Agree Sportsgurl, let's hope for the best :eek:
Tyler is one of my favorites :p

Virenque said:
Yes, Lance never tested positive, but Tyler did! I dont want to start the new debate here, but the reasons why most of the peloton never tested positive are next:
1. They are using doping for training, of course not for racing!
2. Urine doping tests, which are done at rider`s home can detect just (?) EPO and it cant detect all other doping methods, such is blood transfer, growth hormone, ...

I think "Do you think LA is doping?" is the right topic to talk about that..

I might believe the training only angle that you suggest, but I've heard many times that pros are subjected to dope testing even during off days and even during the off season. How do you explain that?

gntlmn said:
I might believe the training only angle that you suggest, but I've heard many times that pros are subjected to dope testing even during off days and even during the off season. How do you explain that?

gntlmn, can you prove this? I have heard it too but have NEVER been able to find one documented example of an offseason EPO drug test by the UCI. This, combined with the ridiculously low number of tests for EPO done last year (it was somewhere between 300 and 400, I can dig up the link) leads me to believe that the only EPO testing being done is for in-competition tests, and only by race winners. Even then, the numbers don't add up, because there are tons of pro races, crits, grand tours, etc, which leads me to believe that maybe only a random assortment of winners actually get tested for EPO.

gntlmn said:
Did you read what I had written under number 2?

Thats how Camenzind and Bruylandts were cought this year! Anti doping agents came to their home and took urine and they found EPO! So..bad luck! But urine test can find just EPO (maybe not just EPO, but in 99% they find epo), so they can use plenty of other doping substances which can be detected just at the races, when they must give blood too!

THIS IS TYLER'S PRESS RELEASE AS OF TODAY 09/23/2004

Media Release
Tyler Hamilton
Statement by Tyler Hamilton of 23 September 2004
First of all I would like to discuss the recent press releases concerning my suspension from the team. This decision was taken jointly by Andy Rihs in his function as team owner and myself and communicated already during the press conference held on Tuesday evening. I am still a member of the Phonak-Cycling-Team and will continue to participate in the day to day decisions concerning our team.

With regard to the B-test from the Olympic Games no official information has been provided to me as of today. However, I am sure that the Gold medal that I worked so hard for will stay in my hands. I guarantee that I represented the United States of America as an honest, clean and proud athlete. As the Olympic Committee did not promptly inform me of the alleged anti-doping violation until one month after the event on August 18, 2004, it was not possible to defend myself before. Regardless of this I will prove my innocence.

I will support the scientific board established by Phonak Cycling and myself, which I strongly believe will put light on the questions we have on the reliability of this new test. Hopefully with this scientific team, we can find a fool-proof method to this test in order to the prevent other athletes ending up in the same situation. I believe that this is the only way to bring clarity to this matter.

It is necessary that I will be released from the allegations based on a scientifically conducted correction of the testing method. It is of further essence that I can as soon as possible, together with my team, form part of a reinstated reputation with evidence that I have contributed to valid, reliable and watertight measures in the anti-doping campaign. In this sense I fully support this research & development project, and I am confident that its result will bring me back to cycling soon so I can pursue my dream of winning the Tour de France.

I very much appreciate the support of my family, my friends, my team and fans.

Tyler Hamilton

Virenque said:

Thats how Camenzind and Bruylandts were cought this year! Anti doping agents came to their home and took urine and they found EPO! So..bad luck! But urine test can find just EPO (maybe not just EPO, but in 99% they find epo), so they can use plenty of other doping substances which can be detected just at the races, when they must give blood too!

The way I understand Camenzind's situation, the out-of-competition test was not conducted by the UCI, but rather by the Swiss Olympic Committee (or their representative).

The Bruylandts situation is new to me -- apparently the UCI were watching him closely and tested him the day of a win, and then visited him again the day after and did another test. He had high hematocrit values, and this was 2000, so they suspended him based on the indirect evidence. Nevertheless, this does give me one example of a UCI-sponsored out-of-competition test.

Virenque said:

Hello Virenque!, quick question, what is your personal answer about the Hamilton's scandal? did he or didn't he? :confused:

mareblu said:
Hello Virenque!, quick question, what is your personal answer about the Hamilton's scandal? did he or didn't he? :confused:
I think he did, that he and his doctors weren`t careful enough, or they didn`t expect those new tests! No one who tested positive can convince me with opposite!
antoineg said:
The Bruylandts situation is new to me -- apparently the UCI were watching him closely and tested him the day of a win, and then visited him again the day after and did another test. He had high hematocrit values, and this was 2000, so they suspended him based on the indirect evidence. Nevertheless, this does give me one example of a UCI-sponsored out-of-competition test.
Bruylandts was cought this year when he was training after injury and he didn`t expect any tests..

Virenque said:
I think he did, that he and his doctors weren`t careful enough, or they didn`t expect those new tests! No one who tested positive can convince me with opposite!
Bruylandts was cought this year when he was training after injury and he didn`t expect any tests..

thanks for answering me........fair enough for me :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.