Tyler Hamilton is a tough little ****er!!!

Steven L. Sheff

Guest
From http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-tourdefrance-hamilton&prov=ap&type=l gns

LA FERTE-SOUS-JOUARRE, France (AP) -- American cyclist Tyler Hamilton made a last-minute decision
Monday to stay in the Tour de France despite a broken collarbone sustained in a crash with dozens of
other riders.

Hamilton, seen as one of a handful of cyclists capable of unseating four-time winner Lance Armstrong
as Tour champion, had worked hard to prepare and didn't want to drop out, according to Bjarne Riis,
his manager at team CSC.

``He wants to give this a try. He's a warrior,'' Riis said. ``We'll support him as long as we can.
But I'm not sure how long he'll be able to continue because he is in a lot of pain.''

A day earlier, Hamilton said he would likely pull out. Hamilton broke his right collarbone in the
crash 500 yards from the finish line during the first full stage of the Tour on Sunday. The
collision involved about 35 riders, with Hamilton and four others injured.

Two riders, Marc Lotz of the Netherlands and American Levi Leipheimer, were forced out of the race
by their injuries, Tour doctor Gerard Porte said.

Lotz sustained deep facial cuts and a fracture under his eye, and Leipheimer had a fractured pelvis,
the doctor said. Both men rode for the Dutch team Rabobank.

The accident came as a deep disappointment for Hamilton, an up-and-coming cyclist who said he spent
the entire year training for the Tour.

The 32-year-old Hamilton won the Liege-Bastogne-Liege on April 27 and Switzerland's Tour of Romandie
in early May. He finished sixth in Saturday's opening prologue, one spot and one second ahead of
Armstrong.

According to the Danish TV2 he had to get 11 teeth fixed after the Giro last years (in which he
finished second) because he literally had been biting his teeth to stand the pain from a .....
broken collarbone.

Svend P.

news:BB2EBA97.3739%[email protected]...

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-tourdefrance-hamilton&prov=ap&type=l
> gns
>

> LA FERTE-SOUS-JOUARRE, France (AP) -- American cyclist Tyler Hamilton made
> last-minute decision Monday to stay in the Tour de France despite a broken collarbone sustained in
> a crash with dozens of other riders.
>
> Hamilton, seen as one of a handful of cyclists capable of unseating four-time winner Lance
> Armstrong as Tour champion, had worked hard to prepare and didn't want to drop out, according to
> Bjarne Riis, his manager at team CSC.
>
> ``He wants to give this a try. He's a warrior,'' Riis said. ``We'll
support
> him as long as we can. But I'm not sure how long he'll be able to continue because he is in a lot
> of pain.''
>
> A day earlier, Hamilton said he would likely pull out. Hamilton broke his right collarbone in the
> crash 500 yards from the finish line during the first full stage of the Tour on Sunday. The
> collision involved about 35 riders, with Hamilton and four others injured.
>
> Two riders, Marc Lotz of the Netherlands and American Levi Leipheimer,
were
> forced out of the race by their injuries, Tour doctor Gerard Porte said.
>
> Lotz sustained deep facial cuts and a fracture under his eye, and
Leipheimer
> had a fractured pelvis, the doctor said. Both men rode for the Dutch team Rabobank.
>
> The accident came as a deep disappointment for Hamilton, an up-and-coming cyclist who said he
> spent the entire year training for the Tour.
>
> The 32-year-old Hamilton won the Liege-Bastogne-Liege on April 27 and Switzerland's Tour of
> Romandie in early May. He finished sixth in
Saturday's
> opening prologue, one spot and one second ahead of Armstrong.

I don't get it. I've never had a broken collarbone before. How is it even possible for him to
ride at all?

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 11:50:20 GMT, "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote:

>From http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-tourdefrance-hamilton&prov=ap&type=l gns
>

>LA FERTE-SOUS-JOUARRE, France (AP) -- American cyclist Tyler Hamilton made a last-minute decision
>Monday to stay in the Tour de France despite a broken collarbone sustained in a crash with dozens
>of other riders.
>
>Hamilton, seen as one of a handful of cyclists capable of unseating four-time winner Lance
>Armstrong as Tour champion, had worked hard to prepare and didn't want to drop out, according to
>Bjarne Riis, his manager at team CSC.

---
Kelly Beard, a.k.a. Mr. K.V.B. Liar

Hopefully, Hamilton and Leipheimer can put this behind them and retarget the Vuelta. That is,
assuming Hamilton drops out...

DaveG wrote:
> "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:BB2EBA97.3739%[email protected]...
>

> Jeez,I am watching him now in a freaking neck brace!! These sportsmen-they don't care-the
> life/race is everything to them. I acknowledge their commitment/heart. FFS another spill as I
> type.............
>
> --
> ATB-DaveG

Ken Very Big Liar <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I don't get it. I've never had a broken collarbone before. How is it even possible for him to
> ride at all?

Probably does what he did in the Giro when he had the broken shoulder -- he grinds his teeth from
the pain, then gets the teeth replaced after the race.

Here's a quote from cyclingnews.com from about 2 months ago:

"I had to get 11 teeth replaced because I was grinding them, I was in so much pain," he said.
"Whether I was on my bike or laying in bed I was always grinding them. It shows you how much pain I
was in during the race. But the whole team in the Giro was supporting me. I didn't want to give up.
I worked so hard to get to that point. It's amazing how you can put pain behind you."

NS

Nev Shea wrote:

> Ken Very Big Liar <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > I don't get it. I've never had a broken collarbone before. How is it even possible for him to
> > ride at all?
> >

> Probably does what he did in the Giro when he had the broken shoulder -- he grinds his teeth from
> the pain, then gets the teeth replaced after the race.
>
> Here's a quote from cyclingnews.com from about 2 months ago:
>
> "I had to get 11 teeth replaced because I was grinding them, I was in so much pain," he said.
> "Whether I was on my bike or laying in bed I was always grinding them. It shows you how much pain
> I was in during the race. But the whole team in the Giro was supporting me. I didn't want to give
> up. I worked so hard to get to that point. It's amazing how you can put pain behind you."
>
> NS

A lot of expensive dentistry - down the drain.

Finished stage 2 in 100th place with the main bunch - unlike 42 mostly intact others.

Ken Very Big Liar wrote:

> I don't get it. I've never had a broken collarbone before. How is it even possible for him to
> ride at all?
>
> On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 11:50:20 GMT, "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >From http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-tourdefrance-hamilton&prov=ap&type=l gns
> >

> >LA FERTE-SOUS-JOUARRE, France (AP) -- American cyclist Tyler Hamilton made a last-minute decision
> >Monday to stay in the Tour de France despite a broken collarbone sustained in a crash with dozens
> >of other riders.
> >
> >Hamilton, seen as one of a handful of cyclists capable of unseating four-time winner Lance
> >Armstrong as Tour champion, had worked hard to prepare and didn't want to drop out, according to
> >Bjarne Riis, his manager at team CSC.
> >

> ---
> Kelly Beard, a.k.a. Mr. K.V.B. Liar

I have had a couple of them. They are painful as hell to roll over in bed... but on the bike, it is
not that big of a deal. You can ride without much movement. The key phrase here is 'much movement'.
If you are doing a great deal of climbing or sprinting, requiring torquing on the shoulders, THEN
you will feel the pain.

And, if you should fall and land on the same shoulder... well. Suddenly, surgery becomes the
ONLY option.

Joe
--
#----------------------------------------------------------# Penguinix Consulting #
#----------------------------------------------------------# Software development, QA and testing. #

Why is Ken a very big liar? I always thought Ken was pretty cool RBR dude.

B-

"Ken Very Big Liar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I don't get it. I've never had a broken collarbone before. How is it
even
> possible for him to ride at all?
>
> On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 11:50:20 GMT, "Steven L. Sheffield"
<[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> >From
>
>http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-tourdefrance-hamilton&prov=ap&type=
> >gns
> >

> >LA FERTE-SOUS-JOUARRE, France (AP) -- American cyclist Tyler Hamilton
made a
> >last-minute decision Monday to stay in the Tour de France despite a
broken
> >collarbone sustained in a crash with dozens of other riders.
> >
> >Hamilton, seen as one of a handful of cyclists capable of unseating four-time winner Lance
> >Armstrong as Tour champion, had worked hard to prepare and didn't want to drop out, according to
> >Bjarne Riis, his
manager

"Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Why is Ken a very big liar? I always thought Ken was pretty cool RBR dude.

He tells women he's a pro bike racer in an attempt to impress them (ie. get into their pants). He
doesn't realize it actually eliminates whatever chances he may have had.

> "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Why is Ken a very big liar? I always thought Ken was pretty cool RBR
dude.

> He tells women he's a pro bike racer in an attempt to impress them (ie.
get
> into their pants). He doesn't realize it actually eliminates whatever chances he may have had.

Probably a lot of guys do that. More like a very small lie. If he was lying about a lot of
other stuff then maybe so. Ken is Mr. RBR isn't he? He got that cool website with all the
cycling guys in there.

B-

>>Snip<<
I believe the later news reports indicate his clavicle is cracked(as opposed to broken). I am not
sure if this is a translation change or a more exact diagnosis. I am also not sure if this means any
real difference in the level of pain TH would be experiencing. Mike

> > I don't get it. I've never had a broken collarbone before. How is it even possible for him to
> > ride at all?
> >

> Probably does what he did in the Giro when he had the broken shoulder -- he grinds his teeth from
> the pain, then gets the teeth replaced after the race.
>
> Here's a quote from cyclingnews.com from about 2 months ago:
>
> "I had to get 11 teeth replaced because I was grinding them, I was in so much pain," he said.
> "Whether I was on my bike or laying in bed I was always grinding them. It shows you how much pain
> I was in during the race. But the whole team in the Giro was supporting me. I didn't want to give
> up. I worked so hard to get to that point. It's amazing how you can put pain behind you."
>
> NS

"Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Why is Ken a very big liar? I always thought Ken was pretty cool RBR dude.

You're confusing "Ken & Kelly" or something or other. Kelly's not really "Ken" and no one's
referring to me.

Of course I am a cool RBR Dude and Kelly Beard himself sometimes makes odd choices for the past
one-year-plus for online handles.

Go figure...

-KJP

> B-
>
> "Ken Very Big Liar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I don't get it. I've never had a broken collarbone before. How is it
> even
> > possible for him to ride at all?
> >
> > On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 11:50:20 GMT, "Steven L. Sheffield"
> <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >

> > >From
> >
> >http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-tourdefrance-hamilton&prov=ap&type=
> > >gns
> > >

> > >LA FERTE-SOUS-JOUARRE, France (AP) -- American cyclist Tyler Hamilton
> made a
> > >last-minute decision Monday to stay in the Tour de France despite a
> broken
> > >collarbone sustained in a crash with dozens of other riders.
> > >
> > >Hamilton, seen as one of a handful of cyclists capable of unseating four-time winner Lance
> > >Armstrong as Tour champion, had worked hard to prepare and didn't want to drop out, according
> > >to Bjarne Riis, his
> manager
> > >at team CSC.
> > >

> > ---
> > Kelly Beard, a.k.a. Mr. K.V.B. Liar

If it was broken he would not be able to ride. A fracture hurts like hell and might lead to a break
if he crashes again or really exerts himself.

"Michael McMurray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >>Snip<<
> I believe the later news reports indicate his clavicle is cracked(as opposed to broken). I am not
> sure if this is a translation change or a more exact diagnosis. I am also not sure if this means
> any real difference in the level of pain TH would be experiencing. Mike
>

> > > I don't get it. I've never had a broken collarbone before. How is it even possible for him to
> > > ride at all?
> > >

> > Probably does what he did in the Giro when he had the broken shoulder -- he grinds his teeth
> > from the pain, then gets the teeth replaced after
the
> > race.
> >
> > Here's a quote from cyclingnews.com from about 2 months ago:
> >
> > "I had to get 11 teeth replaced because I was grinding them, I was in so much pain," he said.
> > "Whether I was on my bike or laying in bed I was always grinding them. It shows you how much
> > pain I was in during the race. But the whole team in the Giro was supporting me. I didn't
> > want to give up. I worked so hard to get to that point. It's amazing how you can put pain
> > behind you."
> >
> > NS

Tyler says he's going to hang around for the TTT to help Sastre. Wonder how he will be able to
maintain aero position, and put out TT power, without straining the fracture and causing a LOT of
pain. Guess he will deal with it. Greg

Dominant theory is he will rider the TTT to help place Sastre then retire... They really need 9 to
make the TTT work.

Does the team doctor or directeur sportif have ultimate authority to *order* a rider to
abandon the race?

My point is, if Tyler is risking a permanent injury by continuing, would his team *let* him do it?

None of us has seen the x-rays, and even if we had we don't have the actual medical knowledge
required to interpret them (at least most of us don't). Therefore, we can only trust that Tyler and
his team are doing the right thing by continuing.

This is the stuff of which cycling legends are made. Paul Sherwen already referred to him as a "hero
of the Tour." Tyler's performance in last year's Giro (finishing second after breaking a bone in his
shoulder) is a legendary performance, in my opinion. What if he *does* go on to finish on the
podium? They'd still be talking about it in France in 50 years. If he doesn't continue the race
we'll never know if that might happen. Clearly it's a long shot but obviously Tyler wants to give it
his best effort. I salute him.

Joanne