Tyler Hamilton Verdict Upheld

Steven L. Sheffield

Guest
Tyler Hamilton Verdict

Press Release

Boulder, Colorado Feb 11, 2006 Olympic Champion cyclist Tyler Hamilton
received the final verdict from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS)
today. He is very disappointed to learn charges he received a homologous
blood transfusion during the 2004 cycling season were upheld. Per CAS, ³the
appeal filed by Mr. Hamilton against the award dated 18 April 2005 rendered
by the AAA Panel is dismissed²

Hamilton steadfastly maintains his innocence and has gone to great lengths
to clear his name. He endured nearly seventeen months of arbitration and
media scrutiny with the same characteristic fortitude that has made him
popular as an athlete.

Mr. Hamilton¹s defense criticized the test methodology used to try to detect
homologous blood transfusion (transfusion of blood from another person). He
argued the test lacked proper validation, was rushed into use and did not
meet the standards of the scientific community. As a result, he maintained
the conclusions of such a test could not be trusted.

Well respected experts cited inconsistencies within his test data that could
only be explained by technical error or flaws within the methodology. Test
results from the Athens Olympic Games failed to type Mr. Hamilton¹s blood
correctly and generated biologically impossible results. In addition, they
are not in agreement with test results generated three weeks later at the
Vuelta Espana (Tour of Spain) that formed the basis for the doping charges
in this case.

The decision reached by CAS prohibits Mr. Hamilton from returning to
professional cycling until September 22, 2006. In addition to looking
forward to returning to racing, he will continue to defend his integrity and
fight for improvements within the anti-doping system.

Statement from Tyler Hamilton: "Based on my devastating personal experience
over the last year and a half, I am committed to fighting for reform within
the anti-doping movement. I do support the anti-doping mission and USADA,
however the current system has failed an innocent athlete and needs to
change.

"Out of respect to fairness and the rights of all athletes, there should be
clear separation between the agencies that develop new tests and those that
adjudicate anti-doping cases.

"Credible, independent experts, not those who funded or developed the
original methodology, should be charged with properly validating new tests.
I don¹t believe any athlete should be subjected to a flawed test or charged
with a doping violation through the use of a method that is not fully
validated or generates fluctuating results.

"I will also continue to support the formation of unions to help protect the
rights of athletes. My goal is to keep other athletes from experiencing the
enormous pain and horrendous toll of being wrongly accused."

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

On 02/11/2006 09:44 AM, in article [email protected], "Joe King"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Right you are Steven...
>
> http://www.tylerhamilton.com/

I expected so, since I posted the press release from Deirdre Moynihan, from
the Tyler Hamilton Foundation.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com
double-yew double-ewe dot flahute dot com [foreword] slash

I find it interesting that Hamilton will apparently accept the CAS verdict
as being final and will now work to "reform" the drug testing procedure. So
much for fighting to his last Euro to prove his twinness.

While this was all coming down I was in the IMAX theater at the Boston
Museum of Science watching Wired. Excellent film. It did a great deal to
explain how the brain processes it's information---for those of us who took
high school and college biology before the dawn of CAT and PET scans.

news:C0135CAC.39EC2%[email protected]...

ST wrote:
> On 2/12/06 9:03 AM, in article [email protected], "Kyle Legate"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Joe King wrote:
>>
>>>Right you are Steven...
>>>
>>>http://www.tylerhamilton.com/
>>>

>>The guestbook opens to a no content page. I was going to survey the
>>reaction for a laugh.

> Try it again Homie.......
> You need to wait about 3-5 seconds.

Maybe it just doesn't like Firefox, but I get nothing at all. Cutting
and pasting from the web source seems to work.