Tyler Hamilton Verdict Upheld

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steven L. Sheffield, Feb 11, 2006.

  1. Tyler Hamilton Verdict

    Press Release

    Boulder, Colorado Feb 11, 2006 Olympic Champion cyclist Tyler Hamilton
    received the final verdict from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS)
    today. He is very disappointed to learn charges he received a homologous
    blood transfusion during the 2004 cycling season were upheld. Per CAS, ³the
    appeal filed by Mr. Hamilton against the award dated 18 April 2005 rendered
    by the AAA Panel is dismissed²

    Hamilton steadfastly maintains his innocence and has gone to great lengths
    to clear his name. He endured nearly seventeen months of arbitration and
    media scrutiny with the same characteristic fortitude that has made him
    popular as an athlete.

    Mr. Hamilton¹s defense criticized the test methodology used to try to detect
    homologous blood transfusion (transfusion of blood from another person). He
    argued the test lacked proper validation, was rushed into use and did not
    meet the standards of the scientific community. As a result, he maintained
    the conclusions of such a test could not be trusted.

    Well respected experts cited inconsistencies within his test data that could
    only be explained by technical error or flaws within the methodology. Test
    results from the Athens Olympic Games failed to type Mr. Hamilton¹s blood
    correctly and generated biologically impossible results. In addition, they
    are not in agreement with test results generated three weeks later at the
    Vuelta Espana (Tour of Spain) that formed the basis for the doping charges
    in this case.

    The decision reached by CAS prohibits Mr. Hamilton from returning to
    professional cycling until September 22, 2006. In addition to looking
    forward to returning to racing, he will continue to defend his integrity and
    fight for improvements within the anti-doping system.

    Statement from Tyler Hamilton: "Based on my devastating personal experience
    over the last year and a half, I am committed to fighting for reform within
    the anti-doping movement. I do support the anti-doping mission and USADA,
    however the current system has failed an innocent athlete and needs to
    change.

    "Out of respect to fairness and the rights of all athletes, there should be
    clear separation between the agencies that develop new tests and those that
    adjudicate anti-doping cases.

    "Credible, independent experts, not those who funded or developed the
    original methodology, should be charged with properly validating new tests.
    I don¹t believe any athlete should be subjected to a flawed test or charged
    with a doping violation through the use of a method that is not fully
    validated or generates fluctuating results.

    "I will also continue to support the formation of unions to help protect the
    rights of athletes. My goal is to keep other athletes from experiencing the
    enormous pain and horrendous toll of being wrongly accused."

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

    Tags:

  2. On 02/11/2006 09:44 AM, in article [email protected], "Joe King"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Right you are Steven...
    >
    > http://www.tylerhamilton.com/

    I expected so, since I posted the press release from Deirdre Moynihan, from
    the Tyler Hamilton Foundation.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com
    double-yew double-ewe dot flahute dot com [foreword] slash

  3. Tim Mullin

    Tim Mullin Guest

  4. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Tim Mullin wrote:
    > "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:C0135CAC.39EC2%[email protected]:
    >

    > > Tyler Hamilton Verdict

    > > Press Release

    > From a slightly less biased source http://www.tas-cas.org/en/pdf/Hamilton.pdf

    Can we all point and laugh at Magilla now? Since he has been espousing
    Hamilton's innocence since day 1. How about now Magilla?

  5. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    I find it interesting that Hamilton will apparently accept the CAS verdict
    as being final and will now work to "reform" the drug testing procedure. So
    much for fighting to his last Euro to prove his twinness.

    While this was all coming down I was in the IMAX theater at the Boston
    Museum of Science watching Wired. Excellent film. It did a great deal to
    explain how the brain processes it's information---for those of us who took
    high school and college biology before the dawn of CAT and PET scans.

    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [...]
    > I don¹t believe any athlete should be subjected to a flawed test or
    > charged
    > with a doping violation through the use of a method that is not fully
    > validated or generates fluctuating results.
    >
    > "I will also continue to support the formation of unions to help protect
    > the
    > rights of athletes. My goal is to keep other athletes from experiencing
    > the
    > enormous pain and horrendous toll of being wrongly accused."
    >

    > --
    > Steven L. Sheffield
    > stevens at veloworks dot com
    > bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est
    > ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea eye tee why you ti ay aitch
    > aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you
    > double-yew double-ewe dot flahute dot com [foreword] slash

  6. Steve G.

    Steve G. Guest

    I still believe.

  7. crit PRO

    crit PRO Guest

    That is your right.

  8. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Joe King wrote:
    > Right you are Steven...
    >
    > http://www.tylerhamilton.com/

    The guestbook opens to a no content page. I was going to survey the
    reaction for a laugh.

  9. ST

    ST Guest

    On 2/12/06 9:03 AM, in article [email protected], "Kyle Legate"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Joe King wrote:
    >> Right you are Steven...
    >>
    >> http://www.tylerhamilton.com/
    >>

    > The guestbook opens to a no content page. I was going to survey the
    > reaction for a laugh.

    Try it again Homie.......
    You need to wait about 3-5 seconds.

  10. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    ST wrote:
    > On 2/12/06 9:03 AM, in article [email protected], "Kyle Legate"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Joe King wrote:
    >>
    >>>Right you are Steven...
    >>>
    >>>http://www.tylerhamilton.com/
    >>>

    >>The guestbook opens to a no content page. I was going to survey the
    >>reaction for a laugh.

    > Try it again Homie.......
    > You need to wait about 3-5 seconds.

    Maybe it just doesn't like Firefox, but I get nothing at all. Cutting
    and pasting from the web source seems to work.