Tyler Hamilton : Was His Olympic Time Better Than What Lance Would Have Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

flysolo1

Nov 18, 2003
does anyone believe that tyler's time in the olympic tt was really a gold or just all the riders run down

flysolo1 said:
does anyone believe that tyler's time in the olympic tt was really a gold or just all the riders run down

gosh...i was wondering the same. i'm thinking that lance would have beat him. only because lance would have focused on it.

i'm glad lance didn't race so julich could get on the podium and tyler would get at least part of the monkey off his back.

No offense , but who cares.

He beat everyone that turned up , thats all that matters (besides , Ulrich is no mug at TTing and he fairly destroyed him)

Hearty congrats to Tyler!

Roadrash Dunc said:
No offense , but who cares.

He beat everyone that turned up , thats all that matters (besides , Ulrich is no mug at TTing and he fairly destroyed him)

Hearty congrats to Tyler!
REALLY! LET HIM HAVE HIS MOMENT TO SHINE!! HE DESERVES IT!

don't get me wrong, i'm very happy for tyler! he's a great guy and it was his time to shine. but we're bikers. we obsess constantly over irrelevant details all of the time. why this this subject be any different? :p

Who knows?

Tyler Hamilton's time was better than every other rider who chose and/or was selected to race. The best time gets the gold medal.

Why were the other riders "run down", but not Hamilton?

Well in that case i'd say if LA really trained to win the Olympic TT he'd probably have won it ;)

Its obvious it didnt mean enough to him though or he'd have been there come hell or high water.These guys cant win such tough events unless they are focussed 100% and WANT it badly.

I guess this meant everything to Tyler - he simply wanted it more than anyone , including Lance cos he wasnt there! And looking at his age , it was probably Tyler's last chance for a big win.

Ulrich has a year or 2 left if he stays off the sausages , perhaps even another Olympics - what , 34 next time for him? Thats almost his problem , he always seem to be thinking there will be a next time and another chance.
Pull your finger out Jan!

btw , coverage in the UK was awful , where did Hincapie come? Did Bradley McGee enter it too or was his back still bad?

flysolo1 said:
If Lance's goal (above the TDF) was to win that ITT then he would have done it. However, last time he did the olympics after the TDF he only got the bronze. So, it's not a given that Lance could have won this ITT after this years TDF performance. But if he skipped the TDF and spend an entire year training for this race then he would have obliterated the competition; just like what he does in the TDF.

I agree with the other poster who said "who cares?". Lance might've beat him if he were there. But who knows? As it stands it's irrelevant because Tyler has his gold medal. Congrats to him! And to Eki and Julich too.

Yeah, it's irrelevant. If Lance wanted it, he would have shown up and maybe won it. But lots of great athletes haven't wanted something enough and therefore lost because of it. Wanting something badly enough is half the battle. If Ullrich wanted a Tour vicotry badly enough, many have speculated that his superior talent level would carry him past Lance. But Lance wants Tour victory much more so than Jan, and so he wins it. Tyler wanted this victory more than anyone else and, combined with his obviously incredible talent, won himself a deserved Gold.

meehs said:
I agree with the other poster who said "who cares?". Lance might've beat him if he were there. But who knows? As it stands it's irrelevant because Tyler has his gold medal. Congrats to him! And to Eki and Julich too.

Roadrash Dunc said:
btw , coverage in the UK was awful , where did Hincapie come? Did Bradley McGee enter it too or was his back still bad?
All the road races and timetrials were covered from start to finish on BBC interractive. I enjoyed them from start to finish as well!

Ekimov is one of the most remarkable riders in the world today. And he is most definatly not a young man.

Tyler did it! He did it for Himself! He did it for America! AND HE DID IT FOR TUGBOAT!! That dog sounded like it was a cool best friend!:cool:

Here's the final results--place and time--for all ITT contestants. Notice that Ullrich is about 1 1/2 minutes back from Tyler.

I wonder when Tyler resumed training after pulling out early from the Tour de France. He really snapped back well from that back injury. But then again, I suppose this TT was on the flats and perhaps would not aggravate that injury. It must have been on the flats with times like these:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics_2004/cycling/results/3531102.stm

Had it been a mountain time trial i think Tyler himself would admit he wouldnt have won.Goto his website and read about the nature of his back injury , it was very serious and basically prevented him from straining his legs when the road goes vertical.

Anyway , thankfully it was a flat TT and he won.Top man is that Tyler.Lets see what he can do next year with Landis as his Lieutenant.

flysolo1 said:
I think Armstrong's strength is that he is much better in the last week of the Tour for time trials. If you let everyone rest and prepare for a time trial Lance could win but others would have a better chance.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t467644.html

flysolo1 said:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.