Tyler Hamilton what the ^#%$$?

allanw

Aug 11, 2004
Is it just me or is anyone else utterly disappointed in Tyler? I was pulling so hard for him this year in the tour; I would have loved to see him win or get 2nd (my two boys 2yrs&5yrs sported the phonak cap months leading up to TDF), but to see him walk away waving to everyone drove me nuts! Hauled off in an ambulance w/serious injuries OK, but waving and hugging everyone good bye???

To compound the insult; when he was interviewed in Greece he said "took a week off the bike now I'm fine" - What the????? How can you be so injured in the TDF that you abandon your whole team, all your sponsors & fans; then turn around a WEEK later and shoot for the gold????

I guess I've grown accustom to Lance's vigor and dedication, holding Tyler to that measuring stick just doesn't work...

allanw said:
Is it just me or is anyone else utterly disappointed in Tyler? I was pulling so hard for him this year in the tour; I would have loved to see him win or get 2nd (my two boys 2yrs&5yrs sported the phonak cap months leading up to TDF), but to see him walk away waving to everyone drove me nuts! Hauled off in an ambulance w/serious injuries OK, but waving and hugging everyone good bye???

To compound the insult; when he was interviewed in Greece he said "took a week off the bike now I'm fine" - What the????? How can you be so injured in the TDF that you abandon your whole team, all your sponsors & fans; then turn around a WEEK later and shoot for the gold????

I guess I've grown accustom to Lance's vigor and dedication, holding Tyler to that measuring stick just doesn't work...
Dude your bashing one of the class acts in cycling today. Tyler not only rode the tour last year with -2- clavical fractures, he also has ridden the giro in so much pain that after it was over he had 11 teeth capped because he ground them so badly finishing the Giro. Saying good bye to follow competitors as you make your way back to your team car is just good sportsmanship. Its not like he took a victory lap. Did you see the bruises on his back?? They were DEEP. Have you ever had back problems?? I get spasms every so often, I can barely breathe much less walk. The idea of even getting on the bike is absurd. And who's to say what kind of shape he was in after that week. Yes a week of chiropratics and PT can go a long way, but only one person *really* knows what kind of shape Tyler was in. You should by glad, your lucky that your boys look up to Tyler Hamilton. Its a whole lot better than just about anyone in the NBA, NFL, MLB.

Salsa Rider said:
Dude your bashing one of the class acts in cycling today. Tyler not only rode the tour last year with -2- clavical fractures, he also has ridden the giro in so much pain that after it was over he had 11 teeth capped because he ground them so badly finishing the Giro. Saying good bye to follow competitors as you make your way back to your team car is just good sportsmanship. Its not like he took a victory lap. Did you see the bruises on his back?? They were DEEP. Have you ever had back problems?? I get spasms every so often, I can barely breathe much less walk. The idea of even getting on the bike is absurd. And who's to say what kind of shape he was in after that week. Yes a week of chiropratics and PT can go a long way, but only one person *really* knows what kind of shape Tyler was in. You should by glad, your lucky that your boys look up to Tyler Hamilton. Its a whole lot better than just about anyone in the NBA, NFL, MLB.
"11 teeth capped" - Big deal, wear a mouth guard if you can't control your jaw.

"Did you see the bruises on his back?? They were DEEP" - Obviously not too bad if he was race ready a week later.

Anything serious enough to drop from the tour (being a Capt. & serious contender) cannot be fixed in 1 week!

I'm not saying he's classless, just not the hardass competitor I thought he was.

Maybe he just wanted to sit this one out not being 100% and wait until Lance is gone.

alanw, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. If Tyler was such a coward as you have suggested, why would he have continued the 200 Giro d'Italia with a broken shoulder to finish second overall? And why would he have continued the 2003 Tour, clearly a long shot to win, when he had a double fractured collarbone? This is a guy who has NEVER abandoned a grand tour. He's ridden consecutive Tours since 1996 or 1997.

And as for your comment:

"How can you be so injured in the TDF that you abandon your whole team, all your sponsors & fans; then turn around a WEEK later and shoot for the gold????"

Unless I'm mistaken, he was injured on stage 6 of the Tour - July 11. The road race was on August 14.....OVER a month later. And unless you have personally examined Tyler, you have no right to speculate on the severity of his injury with purpose of criticizing him.

So I'm sorry you and your two boys "sported Phonak caps," but some people aren't interested in pleasing their ignorant American fans. Tyler was racing to win, and when an injury made even a podium appearence an impossibility, he cut his losses and left the race in order to recover for the Olympics. If you can't understand that, maybe you should find a new sport to follow.

allanw said:
"11 teeth capped" - Big deal, wear a mouth guard if you can't control your jaw.

"Did you see the bruises on his back?? They were DEEP" - Obviously not too bad if he was race ready a week later.

Anything serious enough to drop from the tour (being a Capt. & serious contender) cannot be fixed in 1 week!

I'm not saying he's classless, just not the hardass competitor I thought he was.

Maybe he just wanted to sit this one out not being 100% and wait until Lance is gone.

allanw said:
Is it just me or is anyone else utterly disappointed in Tyler? QUOTE]

Apparently, it's just you. The rest of us actually have some sympathy, compassion and understanding of human physiology. You might want to catch up on the nature of his back injury before you continue beaking off, slamming a true gentleman of the sport and coincidently, making a complete prat of yourself.

http://www.roadcycling.com/news/article725.shtml should assist you in getting a touch of perspective on things.

Brunswick_kate said:
allanw said:
Is it just me or is anyone else utterly disappointed in Tyler? QUOTE]

Apparently, it's just you. The rest of us actually have some sympathy, compassion and understanding of human physiology. You might want to catch up on the nature of his back injury before you continue beaking off, slamming a true gentleman of the sport and coincidently, making a complete prat of yourself.

http://www.roadcycling.com/news/article725.shtml should assist you in getting a touch of perspective on things.

Tyler is one tough cookie physically as we've seen before, but I think this year he was pychologically shot too - his dog, which he was almost surgically attached to, died the night before the stage he retired on. I hope he rides again next year.

gooders said:
Tyler is one tough cookie physically as we've seen before, but I think this year he was pychologically shot too - his dog, which he was almost surgically attached to, died the night before the stage he retired on. I hope he rides again next year.

We should not forget that our heros however great they may be are still human.Sometimes they can't measure up to our lofty expectations. Tyler is ok in my book we all have bad day,weeks and months in our lives.
I believe he will be back.
The owner of Phonak is such a cycling enthusiast I understand he is coming out with a Phonak bike frame.Let the hearing aid jokes begin.I have always pulled for Lance but will probably pull for Tyler if he is back for the tour in 2005.

Allanw:

Since when did Tyler ever owe any great performance to you? He didn't ask your boys to wear team phonak caps. He could quit cycling all together if he wanted and you couldn't do **** about it except go cry in the corner. Once you finish the TdF with two clavical fractures, then you can only compare to what he's gone through. If Tyler himself read this post, he'd be utterly dissapointed in you, for being a little *****-ass ***** who he could eat for breakfast that thinks he is in any position to criticise him (tyler).

derKaiser said:
alanw, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. If Tyler was such a coward as you have suggested, why would he have continued the 200 Giro d'Italia with a broken shoulder to finish second overall? And why would he have continued the 2003 Tour, clearly a long shot to win, when he had a double fractured collarbone? This is a guy who has NEVER abandoned a grand tour. He's ridden consecutive Tours since 1996 or 1997.

And as for your comment:

"How can you be so injured in the TDF that you abandon your whole team, all your sponsors & fans; then turn around a WEEK later and shoot for the gold????"

Unless I'm mistaken, he was injured on stage 6 of the Tour - July 11. The road race was on August 14.....OVER a month later. And unless you have personally examined Tyler, you have no right to speculate on the severity of his injury with purpose of criticizing him.

So I'm sorry you and your two boys "sported Phonak caps," but some people aren't interested in pleasing their ignorant American fans. Tyler was racing to win, and when an injury made even a podium appearence an impossibility, he cut his losses and left the race in order to recover for the Olympics. If you can't understand that, maybe you should find a new sport to follow.
"ignorant American fans","maybe you should find a new sport to follow" - Don't start attacking me because you find it difficut to justify what he did. And if you are, do it to my face don't do it on a bulletin board you *****!

Seattle,WA Anytime!

sparknote_s said:
Allanw:

Since when did Tyler ever owe any great performance to you? He didn't ask your boys to wear team phonak caps. He could quit cycling all together if he wanted and you couldn't do **** about it except go cry in the corner. Once you finish the TdF with two clavical fractures, then you can only compare to what he's gone through. If Tyler himself read this post, he'd be utterly dissapointed in you, for being a little *****-ass ***** who he could eat for breakfast that thinks he is in any position to criticise him (tyler).
Quit sucking his ****!!! DAMM!

And again, if you want to attack me = Seattle, WA

gooders said:
Dog died??? You've got to be ****ing kidding me!!!!

Do any of you watch football? Ever heard of Brett Favre??? His DAD died and the next day he played the game of his life.

I don't find it difficult to justify what he did....I HAVE justified what he did. And so has he on numerous occasions. As for your Brett Favre example, it's irrelevant. Favre is a tough guy and he played. But the difference is Tyler physically couldn't race. His dog dying added to the misery of that day, but it certainly wouldn't have stopped Tyler alone. If anything, like Favre, Tyler would have done something special for the rest of the race as a tribute to his dog. But the fact remains that with torn lower back muscles, it was impossible for him to continue.

And don't pull out the "say it to my face" line. That's the oldest one in the book. Of course I can't say it to your face...I don't live in Seattle!

Besides, you're the one who's been criticizing Tyler. MAYBE YOU SHOULD SAY IT TO HIS FACE, not "on a bulletin board you *****!"

allanw said:
"ignorant American fans","maybe you should find a new sport to follow" - Don't start attacking me because you find it difficut to justify what he did. And if you are, do it to my face don't do it on a bulletin board you *****!

Seattle,WA Anytime!

allanw said:
Quit sucking his ****!!! DAMM!

And again, if you want to attack me = Seattle, WA

Do you kiss your kids with that filthy mouth??

Bottom line....you evidently haven't got a freakin' clue to call your own on the matter so there's no sense in discussing it. You've been given every opportunity to correct your own appalling level of ignorance and yet you steadfastedly cling to your incredibly ill-informed opinion.

Thanks for trying to play in the big people's sandbox. You'll catch on eventually.

So, wait......!!! Who has Olympic Gold??? Oh, right, it's TYLER HAMILTON!

allanw said:
Dog died??? You've got to be ****ing kidding me!!!!

Do any of you watch football? Ever heard of Brett Favre??? His DAD died and the next day he played the game of his life.

derKaiser said:

Yeah, I know...how freaking beautiful ...how freaking bea-u-ti-ful is that?

Okay, Eki the "old guy" winning it would have been way too cool.

Brunswick_kate said:
Yeah, I know...how freaking beautiful ...how freaking bea-u-ti-ful is that?

Okay, Eki the "old guy" winning it would have been way too cool.

It's about time something good happened to Tyler.

derKaiser said:

Now that he has won I am sure he is doping. Right!!!His dog overdosed and now he will leave his wife for Cheryl Crowe> No wait Lance already has her ,well somebody.

Congratulations Tyler!!!

jhuskey said:
Now that he has won I am sure he is doping. Right!!!His dog overdosed and now he will leave his wife for Cheryl Crowe> No wait Lance already has her ,well somebody.

You're right ... it's been done to death...what we really need is a good scandal...how about Hamilton has been training in Area 51 because he's actually a Martian....?

Brunswick_kate said:
You're right ... it's been done to death...what we really need is a good scandal...how about Hamilton has been training in Area 51 because he's actually a Martian....?

No not Tyler. Now that guy Landis he could be an alien.