Tyler Innocent?

Oh, this has become tedious. I really wanted to believe Tyler, but after the last round, it just doesn't look good.

While it's not infallible, a positive in the flow cytometry test points to a homologous blood transfusion. Not the only reason it happens, but the most likely. The fact that it went away in subsequent blood tests makes the accusation even stronger. Anyone remember Pantani's high haematocrit, and how it dropped after a night in the hospital? Or Mr. 60%?

In the documents published, I really didn't see anything that refuted this specific set of tests. No, the test isn't perfect. And if he were accused of murder, the evidence probably wouldn't hold up. But he's not accused of murder, only cheating in a commercial venture. The rules of evidence there are less stringent.

The fact that Santi Perez was also flagged points even stronger to this actually being a case of blood doping, rather than a peculiarity of Tyler's physiology. There is still a slight chance that an environmental condition that both riders were exposed to caused the positive. But Tyler didn't present any evidence that could back up that possibility. Tyler may have employed some excellent PR tactics, but his actual defence appears to be somewhat inept. And it appears that he was warned in advance, and given a chance to clean up. Warned that a blood doping test would be put in place, and warned that his haematocrit was borderline.

I still don't want to believe it. But in the absence of any concrete evidence to the contrary, this one seems to hold water.

I catch myself at this point, remembering that I became interested in cycling as a professional sport, for moments like Lance vs Jan on Alpe d'Huez in 2001, or the Tourmalet/Luz Ardiden battle of 2003. Here we are, bantering back and forth not about tactics, but homologous blood transfusions and flow cytometry tests. Clean this sport up so we can remember why we watched it in the first place.

Die, thread. Die!

micron said:
House, it's a shame that your self-proclaimed anti-Flyer crusade to present the rational face of the doping debate, and your concern for fairness and presenting both sides of the argument, is constantly undermined by your desire to score points and use personal insult.

House from my viewpoint, as one that has been more vocal about complaining of flyers neverending and onnipresent doping posts, Micron is dead on here. Flyer may at times act like a troll, make conclusions based on sketchy info, and at times try to turn every thread into one of convincing everyone that all Pros dope, but he is almost always civil. You come off as an ass much of the time, and one could make the argument that your anti-flyer comments (which seem to be directed at him, not the message) are at least as damaging if not worse to the collective good of the themes exhibited in these forums. I am certainly not anti-house or pro-Flyer or vice versa. I would just like to see a forum where a bunch of people who like bikes can relate, talk about, debate, disagree on, and BS about bike related topics, while acting like adults and respecting each other. Make sense?

meb said:
Clarificiation: Delbeke says he considers hypobarrick tents as illegal doping. Are they banned and deemed illegal?

Nope. They are equal to living high and training low.

VeloFlash said:
Nope. They are equal to living high and training low.
his argument is that they are artificial means of blood manipulation, producing a greater effect than training at altitude, and thus would fall foul of the UCI regulations on blood doping.

micron said:
his argument is that they are artificial means of blood manipulation, producing a greater effect than training at altitude, and thus would fall foul of the UCI regulations on blood doping.

If he states it is an artificial means of blood manipulation then he is incorrect. The alleged benefits of altitude training, and it is disputable, are cellular change. In the FAQ for hypoxico altitude tent this is stated:

Q. Will my Haematocrit rise?

A: Not necessarily. In many cases it has, in some cases it has not. We have seen very little correlation between haematocrit change and increase in performance. This was confirmed in a recent independent HTS study where, although the "tent group" showed "significant gains" - there was no change in hematocrit.

The body likes to keep itself at certain levels. ie it has a desired Hct whilst at altitude, and a desired Hct whilst at sea-level. The Hct is determined by two factors: The Red Blood Cell count, and the plasma (water) volume. Whereas the RBC increases over a period of weeks, the plasma volume can change in just hours. Thus, during the day, the hematocrit will go down, reverting towards it's normal for sea level. The red blood cells do not die off any faster than normal, so that level stays elevated.

Use of the HTS is most unlikely to push the average athlete up to the limit of 50% that some sports are enforcing. If you are concerned about this you should perform regular checks.

After the Festina exposure in the 1998 TdF a number of teams were towing around altitude tents as a PR stunt to the public. This was the "clean" explanation to their rider's performances.