Tyler tests positive for Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)

swampy1970

Feb 3, 2008
Rock Racing's Tyler Hamilton is facing a possible lifetime ban from cycling following a positive doping control, Cyclingnews learned Friday. He tested positive for the banned steroid Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) after an out-of-competition control in early February. Hamilton admitted to knowingly taking the substance which was an ingredient in a vitamin supplement.

Hamilton has already served a two-year suspension following a positive test for a homologous blood transfusion in 2004. A second offense could earn him anywhere between eight years to a lifetime ban according to the World Anti-doping Agency's code.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/apr09/apr17news3

all the elements of a sad story, but finding it difficult to give his story any credence having been burnt by his earlier half-truths.

The old 'I was so depressed I thought taking a banned substance was a good idea' trick. Another drug cheat busted. Ha ha, good riddance. Fark off, don't let the door hit your **** on the way out.

As an added bonus we don't have to look at his gheybo stylised stupid Rock Racing US champ jersey anymore. US cycling federation should ban these arseholes on principle for wearing monstrosities and for not wearing the grouse looking Captain America US champs jersey.

Thanks for that update swamp.

I'm not surprised he's been caught a second time to be honest.

What is infuriating is re-reading all the old editions of CS devoted to Hamilton.
When he was considered clean, this guy were viewed as a prospective top rider.
The column inches devoted to his cleancut image, settled and happy life and his "living the dream", looks like a complete sham when you re-read it in the current context.
This was before he was busted the first time round - and inflicted the chimera
(dog ate my homework) defence.

The guy is a sociopath.

Is he still married to same woman?

The other shoe drops.

"Don't believe the hype."

He's an addict, and he's apparently beyond telling the truth; he's probably believing his own distorted version of reality at this point. Velonews says he's expected to retire - I hear he's nearly broke, and we know he's lonely since Haven left.

If Haven were smart, she'd pen a tell-all book. Given that she may have donated some blood to the cause, as it were, in past years, she's unlikely to squeal.

slovakguy said:
all the elements of a sad story, but finding it difficult to give his story any credence having been burnt by his earlier half-truths.
Please don't get stuck on stupid. As he mentioned in the article, "I'm not naive." There's nothing sad about this story, IMO. He made his bed, now he needs to go lay in it. If only more dopers would get flushed out of pro cycling's system, I and others might truly become interested again...

He and his unborn twin can ride off into sunset...hasta la bye-bye...

tonyzackery said:
Please don't get stuck on stupid. As he mentioned in the article, "I'm not naive." There's nothing sad about this story, IMO. He made his bed, now he needs to go lay in it. If only more dopers would get flushed out of pro cycling's system, I and others might truly become interested again...

He and his unborn twin can ride off into sunset...hasta la bye-bye...
dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

limerickman said:
Thanks for that update swamp.

I'm not surprised he's been caught a second time to be honest.

What is infuriating is re-reading all the old editions of CS devoted to Hamilton.
When he was considered clean, this guy were viewed as a prospective top rider.
The column inches devoted to his cleancut image, settled and happy life and his "living the dream", looks like a complete sham when you re-read it in the current context.
This was before he was busted the first time round - and inflicted the chimera
(dog ate my homework) defence.

The guy is a sociopath.

Is he still married to same woman?
I think he split from his wife. Their relationship must have been under immense strain to cope with living that lie day in and day out. It is no wonder he has depression. His whole life was a sham, that clean cut image, as you say, that he sold wholesale was a sham. I binned all my old cycling magazines from that era, couldn't stand seeing the likes of Hamilton, Basso, Landis and Armstrong staring out behind those ******** headlines.

Rolfrae said:
I think he split from his wife. Their relationship must have been under immense strain to cope with living that lie day in and day out. It is no wonder he has depression. His whole life was a sham, that clean cut image, as you say, that he sold wholesale was a sham. I binned all my old cycling magazines from that era, couldn't stand seeing the likes of Hamilton, Basso, Landis and Armstrong staring out behind those ******** headlines.

I read the full report per Cycling News : as you say the guys life sounds like a complete mess.
According to CN, he's been on depression medication since 2003.

If he came out with his hands up when he was caught initially, he might have saved himself a lot of stress, money and maybe even his marriage.
What a terrible mess.

Rolfrae said:
I still have nearly two decades of VeloNews that I'll be using to light the grill this summer.

Yeah, Tyler and Haven split, no doubt with some interesting agreements signed by both parties. Remember that she was privy to the doping regimen, at least according to a few choice faxes.

-Aaron

jimmypop said:
I still have nearly two decades of VeloNews that I'll be using to light the grill this summer.

Yeah, Tyler and Haven split, no doubt with some interesting agreements signed by both parties. Remember that she was privy to the doping regimen, at least according to a few choice faxes.

-Aaron
I wonder how he will make a living from now on? Think how much money a tell-all book about the US Postal years could make him. Writing it might be therapeutic too.

He's delusional. This is a twisted sort of rationalization:

"What I did was wrong and yes, I did know it [DHEA] was on the list of banned substances. I also knew that USADA could have shown up any day and at any time to test me. But, I was going through a very rough moment and I was desperate. I heard about it and I thought I would try it out as an act of desperation," said Hamilton, but he denied he took the supplement for performance enhancement. "Did I take it for a banned substance? Absolutely not."
Armstrong plays the cancer card, Hamiltons plays the mental health card. Dispicible in both instances.

jimmypop said:
"What I did was wrong and yes, I did know it [DHEA] was on the list of banned substances. I also knew that USADA could have shown up any day and at any time to test me. But, I was going through a very rough moment and I was desperate. I heard about it and I thought I would try it out as an act of desperation," said Hamilton, but he denied he took the supplement for performance enhancement. "Did I take it for a banned substance? Absolutely not."[/quote][/QUOTE]It says in the article I read that the substance would have little to no sporting enhancement effect at the amount he used so, for once, he might actually be telling the truth. :eek:

jimmypop said:
"What I did was wrong and yes, I did know it [DHEA] was on the list of banned substances. I also knew that USADA could have shown up any day and at any time to test me. But, I was going through a very rough moment and I was desperate. I heard about it and I thought I would try it out as an act of desperation," said Hamilton, but he denied he took the supplement for performance enhancement. "Did I take it for a banned substance? Absolutely not."[/quote][/QUOTE]

I read that as well.

What I think Hamilton was trying to say was that he took the substance to treat his depression, rather than to enhance his performance.

Whether that was his motive for taking the stuff or not, is immaterial.

jimmypop said:

-Aaron
Agreed. There aint no way she's going to write a tell all book. She was complicit in ordering the gear for Tyler.

I wonder what good ole Lance thinks about all this....

whiteboytrash said:
Agreed. There aint no way she's going to write a tell all book. She was complicit in ordering the gear for Tyler.

I wonder what good ole Lance thinks about all this....
I think he probably offers financial support to his old friends, just to help out buddies who are in a bad way, you know?

The stupid thing is Scott's comment in the CN article that DHEA has no real performance benefits. Apparently, the cyclists feel otherwise. Too me, it makes very little sense for him to have been on a prescription anti-depressant for 6 years (and hopefully, getting counseling), and suddenly try out a homeopathic remedy containing a known banned substance. I guess phoning the psychiatrist was out of the question.

This does not bode well for Rock's search for sponsorship money.

kennf said:
The stupid thing is Scott's comment in the CN article that DHEA has no real performance benefits. Apparently, the cyclists feel otherwise. Too me, it makes very little sense for him to have been on a prescription anti-depressant for 6 years (and hopefully, getting counseling), and suddenly try out a homeopathic remedy containing a known banned substance. I guess phoning the psychiatrist was out of the question.

This does not bode well for Rock's search for sponsorship money.
It was a ready made response wasn't it. They've had weeks to put it together. I googled DEHA and it’s a steroid. Plain and simple.