Tyler tests positive for Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)



whiteboytrash

New Member
Mar 9, 2005
5,402
0
0
limerickman said:
Looks like Rock can't even get their denials straight.
You'd think he'd have his depression medication on his TUE. I mean you wouldn't just jam any drug into your system... well unless you were trying to cheat that is.
 

slovakguy

Well-Known Member
Mar 17, 2006
1,898
66
0
tonyzackery said:
Please don't get stuck on stupid. As he mentioned in the article, "I'm not naive." There's nothing sad about this story, IMO. He made his bed, now he needs to go lay in it. If only more dopers would get flushed out of pro cycling's system, I and others might truly become interested again...

He and his unborn twin can ride off into sunset...hasta la bye-bye...

apologies if i've led you to believe i have sympathy for his actions. just noting that his "story" (the promise of his early career, the first doping bust, the depression, the problems his mom is having, the downturn in his medication's efficacy, etc.) seems like a bit of preparatory work for the television movie of the week sales spiel. contrary to what rudy'd have me believe, i figure that the whole lot of rock ride doped.
 

swampy1970

Well-Known Member
Feb 3, 2008
10,098
426
83
jimmypop said:
He's delusional. This is a twisted sort of rationalization:

Armstrong plays the cancer card, Hamiltons plays the mental health card. Dispicible in both instances.
Armstrong can play the cancer card because he's not being paid by Astana to ride. He rides and then attends countless events after each race, which to be honest must be a bit of a strain/PITA. If he was getting a pay check then that'd be a different story...

Tyler is (was)getting a pay check so he should have had more of an interest in towing the team line.

Just my 2cents.
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
swampy1970 said:
Tyler is (was)getting a pay check so he should have had more of an interest in towing the team line.

Just my 2cents.

maybe Tyler can start a depression awareness campaign!
 

swampy1970

Well-Known Member
Feb 3, 2008
10,098
426
83
limerickman said:
True.

The more one looks at this, the more questions it raises.
I think he has his "official" depression meds on a TUE but it seems as though the stuff he was busted for wasn't on his prescription.
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
Depression.

What is it about this sport which either attracts or exacerbates riders prone to depression?

Having pedalled and race a bit in my former life, part of me can understand the mind numbing effect of sitting hour after hour on a bike training/racing.

However there does seem to be a significant connection between cycling at the pro ranks and depression.
 

swampy1970

Well-Known Member
Feb 3, 2008
10,098
426
83
An ammendment to the original paragraph:

Tyler Hamilton's career in cycling has ended following a positive doping control, Cyclingnews learned Friday. He tested positive for the banned steroid Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) after an out-of-competition control in early February. Hamilton admitted to knowingly taking the substance which was an ingredient in a vitamin supplement he took in an attempt to alleviate depression. He has decided to retire.

Not really much else he could do really, if he wanted to slide of the sport with a little bit more grace...
 

kennf

New Member
Jan 29, 2004
609
0
0
limerickman said:
Depression.

What is it about this sport which either attracts or exacerbates riders prone to depression?

Having pedalled and race a bit in my former life, part of me can understand the mind numbing effect of sitting hour after hour on a bike training/racing.

However there does seem to be a significant connection between cycling at the pro ranks and depression.

As I recall, there are studies relating high incidents of depression to high level endurance sports, particularly upon retirement. Don't know if there's an organic effect, or if the sports simply attract a certain obsessive mindset that lends itself to depression. Lemond used to talk about how many of his former Z teamates suffered from depression after retiring.
 

poulidor

New Member
Jul 31, 2006
1,464
0
0
I think Hamilton is paying his first offense. Probably he is not lying here. And as many riders have confessed, it's very difficult to quit the drug addict... and less easy for him after have been caught.

That is a good example to show how bad is doping.
 

jimmypop

New Member
Feb 20, 2008
439
0
0
swampy1970 said:
Armstrong can play the cancer card because he's not being paid by Astana to ride. He rides and then attends countless events after each race, which to be honest must be a bit of a strain/PITA. If he was getting a pay check then that'd be a different story...

Tyler is (was)getting a pay check so he should have had more of an interest in towing the team line.

Just my 2cents.
Armstrong plays the cancer card whenever the topic of doping comes up. His fundraising for cancer research can't excuse his cheating at sport, though he'd like the public to think that it does.
 

Bro Deal

New Member
Jun 26, 2006
6,698
4
0
limerickman said:
What is it about this sport which either attracts or exacerbates riders prone to depression?
It is because depressed people can use endurance exercise as a form of self medication.
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
kennf said:
As I recall, there are studies relating high incidents of depression to high level endurance sports, particularly upon retirement. Don't know if there's an organic effect, or if the sports simply attract a certain obsessive mindset that lends itself to depression. Lemond used to talk about how many of his former Z teamates suffered from depression after retiring.


And of course, if the top men are doping for performance enhancing purposes,
they may also be doping for psyhological purposes too.
It seems that there is some evidence of recreational doping at the highest levels, as distinct from performance enahancing doping.

Sitting on a bike hour after hour, pushing your system to your absolute limit : may have pyschological impact in terms of stress/depression.
 

swampy1970

Well-Known Member
Feb 3, 2008
10,098
426
83
whiteboytrash said:
It was a ready made response wasn't it. They've had weeks to put it together. I googled DEHA and it’s a steroid. Plain and simple.
I'm not too sure if DEHA would aid with perfomance. DEHA is used as a functional hydraulic fluid, and a component of aircraft lubricants. It is sometimes also used as an ingredient in PVC-based plastic wrap.

Yeah, I googled that too.
 

swampy1970

Well-Known Member
Feb 3, 2008
10,098
426
83
jimmypop said:
Armstrong plays the cancer card whenever the topic of doping comes up. His fundraising for cancer research can't excuse his cheating at sport, though he'd like the public to think that it does.
Look at it the other way...

He's not getting paid by the team to ride. So why is he riding? If he has "press time", regardless of what the current topic is, do you think he's not going to try and get some mention of his Cancer Foundation in? Anytime Lance speaks it's all over the net (and elsewhere) within moments.

It'd be a bit like a car salesman passing up the opportunity of a sale when he spots a guy in the showroom with a big bag stuffed with $100 bills.

I don't think he's ever said "well, i'm riding for my cancer thing so therefore I can't cheat" although you may have interpreted it that way.

True to the usual form within the sub-forum, the topic has moved over to Lance.
 

Eldrack

New Member
Jan 10, 2005
1,353
2
0
Ok, admit it guys. You're far more interested in doping than you are in actual cycling. Here to talk about the rise and fall of various dirty athletes rather than talking about the sport and the races.

This thread goes up about a washed out racer no one gives a **** about and it's got 3 pages in a few hours. The Amstel Gold thread has 4 replies, one of which doesn't count because it was by Flyer. Plus Grater has done a couple of posts about the race in his predictions thread. That leaves us with around 5 people on this forum who actually give a **** about cycling as a sport.
 

kennf

New Member
Jan 29, 2004
609
0
0
Eldrack said:
Ok, admit it guys. You're far more interested in doping than you are in actual cycling. Here to talk about the rise and fall of various dirty athletes rather than talking about the sport and the races.

This thread goes up about a washed out racer no one gives a **** about and it's got 3 pages in a few hours. The Amstel Gold thread has 4 replies, one of which doesn't count because it was by Flyer. Plus Grater has done a couple of posts about the race in his predictions thread. That leaves us with around 5 people on this forum who actually give a **** about cycling as a sport.


Admit it Eldrack. Like it or not, a former Olympic Gold Medalist and last years US Pro champion who had the second-highest profile doping case (behind Landis) retiring from the sport as a result of another doping infraction is news. BIG news.
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
Eldrack said:
Ok, admit it guys. You're far more interested in doping than you are in actual cycling. Here to talk about the rise and fall of various dirty athletes rather than talking about the sport and the races.

This thread goes up about a washed out racer no one gives a **** about and it's got 3 pages in a few hours. The Amstel Gold thread has 4 replies, one of which doesn't count because it was by Flyer. Plus Grater has done a couple of posts about the race in his predictions thread. That leaves us with around 5 people on this forum who actually give a **** about cycling as a sport.

I much prefer discussing racing, to be honest with you.
 

azdroptop

New Member
May 25, 2005
871
0
0
You can buy DHEA over the counter? Banned substance? Weird.


swampy1970 said:
Rock Racing's Tyler Hamilton is facing a possible lifetime ban from cycling following a positive doping control, Cyclingnews learned Friday. He tested positive for the banned steroid Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) after an out-of-competition control in early February. Hamilton admitted to knowingly taking the substance which was an ingredient in a vitamin supplement.

Hamilton has already served a two-year suspension following a positive test for a homologous blood transfusion in 2004. A second offense could earn him anywhere between eight years to a lifetime ban according to the World Anti-doping Agency's code.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/apr09/apr17news3