type 1 diabetes and endurance cycling

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by rcon, Jan 11, 2004.

1. rcon

rcon New Member

HI,
    I am getting into some long distance cycling evetns with Audax Australia; 50, 100, 200, 300 KM+.

Does anyone have info / experience with cycling or partiicpating in endurance events with Type 1 diabetes (insulin dependant)?

I am interetsed in effect of long hours in the saddle on the bodies storage of glucose? The effect of insulin on the bodies storage and utilisation of glucose? What happens when you "hit the wall" with diabetes? What have been your experiences, etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
    Richard

Tags:

2. spanner

spanner New Member

I used to do alot of long distance road time-trialling prior to getting diabetes (type 1) - stopped cycling - but now looking to get back into some long distance riding again. I will let you know how I get on.

When training though, I would always recommend teaming up with others - I have had hypos come on and not had any warning signs so keep people around you who know what signs to look for in the event of a hypo. Also, do a blood test at a convenient point when training and see for yourself what effect it is having on your blood sugars. If you manage to get the balance right - you will suffer the same effects as someone without diabetes i.e. you will be knack**d!