Type of tubing on a Bianchi Strada LX?

Sir Ridesalot

Guest
Hello there fellow bicyclists.

I just purchased a used Bianchi Strada LX road bicycle for a lady
friend who wants to start bicycling. An image of it can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/756789136/

The bicycle has 12 gears with a 6 gear frewheel which is shifted via
Suntour Acu-Shift shifters and derailleurs. The wheels are 700C and
have decent 25mm tires and presta tubes mounted on them. Maxinum
pressure for the tires is 100 psi which will be great for her.

The crankset is a Sugino VP with 42 and 52 teeth chain rings and has
KKK quill pedals on it.

The bicycle fram and forks are made from Bianchi Special Tubing. When
I removed the 2 wheels to put the bicycle in the trunk I thought that
it was not very heavy. I am wondering, not that it matters (we are
just curious) what this tubing is. Is it a straight-gauge cro-moly?

The bicycle wheels are built with Araya rims laced to one-piece quick
release hubs front and rear that have plastic seals. I see a KK on the
quick release skewer levers but do not know the make of them. Does any
one here?

The wheels are round and very true. The brake calipers are Dia-Comp
clones and each one has a quick release. They are matched to Dia-Comp
clone aero brake levers.

The drop handle bars have the reinforcing sleeve and are covered in
new-condition black padded handlebar tape.

The saddle is a wide Bianchi womens saddle and is in excellent shape.

This bicycle also had a Zefal HPX pump.

Cost of this used bicycle was $25 Cdn. I gavce the seller $40 Cdn as
I though it was in very good condition. The lady I bought it for is
very excited about it and is looking forward to riding it. We both
think we got a great deal and the seller was delighted to get the
extra $15.

As I said above we are interested in what the Bianchi Special Tubing
is made from. Is it a straight-gauge cro-moly?

Thank you very much if you are able to enlighten us. We aregoing to
enjoy this bicycle regardles but it would be interesting to know.

Cheers from Peter

IIRC you are looking at Bianchi labeled Tange 5 straight gauge chrome-moly.

My significant annoyance has a Bianchi Premio with a similar mix of
components, but with butted tubes. She likes it, it looks racy and says
Bianchi on it. It works well, nothing bad to report.
One thing that hangs over my head though, I dread the day that she wants
brifters on it. ;-)

KK _are_ the manufacturers of the hubs.

Marcus

I hope that the quill stem is inserted far enough into the head tube. I
can't see in the picture but it looks like it might reveal the minimum
insertion mark. The picture is fuzzy on the enlarged size pic. It looks like
I can almost see the mark but can't tell.
news:[email protected]...

On Jul 9, 3:00 am, "g" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I hope that the quill stem is inserted far enough into the head tube. I
> can't see in the picture but it looks like it might reveal the minimum
> insertion mark. The picture is fuzzy on the enlarged size pic. It looks like
> I can almost see the mark but can't tell."Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > Hello there fellow bicyclists.

> > I just purchased a used Bianchi Strada LX road bicycle for a lady
> > friend who wants to start bicycling. An image of it can be found here:

> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/756789136/

> > The bicycle has 12 gears with a 6 gear frewheel which is shifted via
> > Suntour Acu-Shift shifters and derailleurs. The wheels are 700C and
> > have decent 25mm tires and presta tubes mounted on them. Maxinum
> > pressure for the tires is 100 psi which will be great for her.

> > The crankset is a Sugino VP with 42 and 52 teeth chain rings and has
> > KKK quill pedals on it.

> > The bicycle fram and forks are made from Bianchi Special Tubing. When
> > I removed the 2 wheels to put the bicycle in the trunk I thought that
> > it was not very heavy. I am wondering, not that it matters (we are
> > just curious) what this tubing is. Is it a straight-gauge cro-moly?

> > The bicycle wheels are built with Araya rims laced to one-piece quick
> > release hubs front and rear that have plastic seals. I see a KK on the
> > quick release skewer levers but do not know the make of them. Does any
> > one here?

> > The wheels are round and very true. The brake calipers are Dia-Comp
> > clones and each one has a quick release. They are matched to Dia-Comp
> > clone aero brake levers.

> > The drop handle bars have the reinforcing sleeve and are covered in
> > new-condition black padded handlebar tape.

> > The saddle is a wide Bianchi womens saddle and is in excellent shape.

> > This bicycle also had a Zefal HPX pump.

> > Cost of this used bicycle was $25 Cdn. I gavce the seller $40 Cdn as
> > I though it was in very good condition. The lady I bought it for is
> > very excited about it and is looking forward to riding it. We both
> > think we got a great deal and the seller was delighted to get the
> > extra $15.

> > As I said above we are interested in what the Bianchi Special Tubing
> > is made from. Is it a straight-gauge cro-moly?

> > Thank you very much if you are able to enlighten us. We aregoing to
> > enjoy this bicycle regardles but it would be interesting to know.

> > Cheers from Peter- Hide quoted text -

Hi there.

Thanks for the heads up. That is the seller's picture of the bike from
their ad. You were right about the stem. When I bought the bike the
first thing I did was lower the stem to the mark.

So, is there any chance thiks is a cro-moly tubed frameset?

Thanks from Peter

On Jul 9, 5:46 am, Sir Ridesalot <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 9, 3:00 am, "g" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > I hope that the quill stem is inserted far enough into the head tube. I
> > can't see in the picture but it looks like it might reveal the minimum
> > insertion mark. The picture is fuzzy on the enlarged size pic. It looks like
> > I can almost see the mark but can't tell."Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >news:[email protected]...

> > > Hello there fellow bicyclists.

> > > I just purchased a used Bianchi Strada LX road bicycle for a lady
> > > friend who wants to start bicycling. An image of it can be found here:

> > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/756789136/

> > > The bicycle has 12 gears with a 6 gear frewheel which is shifted via
> > > Suntour Acu-Shift shifters and derailleurs. The wheels are 700C and
> > > have decent 25mm tires and presta tubes mounted on them. Maxinum
> > > pressure for the tires is 100 psi which will be great for her.

> > > The crankset is a Sugino VP with 42 and 52 teeth chain rings and has
> > > KKK quill pedals on it.

> > > The bicycle fram and forks are made from Bianchi Special Tubing. When
> > > I removed the 2 wheels to put the bicycle in the trunk I thought that
> > > it was not very heavy. I am wondering, not that it matters (we are
> > > just curious) what this tubing is. Is it a straight-gauge cro-moly?

> > > The bicycle wheels are built with Araya rims laced to one-piece quick
> > > release hubs front and rear that have plastic seals. I see a KK on the
> > > quick release skewer levers but do not know the make of them. Does any
> > > one here?

> > > The wheels are round and very true. The brake calipers are Dia-Comp
> > > clones and each one has a quick release. They are matched to Dia-Comp
> > > clone aero brake levers.

> > > The drop handle bars have the reinforcing sleeve and are covered in
> > > new-condition black padded handlebar tape.

> > > The saddle is a wide Bianchi womens saddle and is in excellent shape.

> > > This bicycle also had a Zefal HPX pump.

> > > Cost of this used bicycle was $25 Cdn. I gavce the seller $40 Cdn as
> > > I though it was in very good condition. The lady I bought it for is
> > > very excited about it and is looking forward to riding it. We both
> > > think we got a great deal and the seller was delighted to get the
> > > extra $15.

> > > As I said above we are interested in what the Bianchi Special Tubing
> > > is made from. Is it a straight-gauge cro-moly?

> > > Thank you very much if you are able to enlighten us. We aregoing to
> > > enjoy this bicycle regardles but it would be interesting to know.

> > > Cheers from Peter- Hide quoted text -

> Hi there.
>
> Thanks for the heads up. That is the seller's picture of the bike from
> their ad. You were right about the stem. When I bought the bike the
> first thing I did was lower the stem to the mark.
>
> So, is there any chance thiks is a cro-moly tubed frameset?
>
> Thanks from Peter

I would guess that it is seamed cromoly. May be butted main tubes, may
be all straight gauge.

Andres

On Jul 9, 6:46 am, Sir Ridesalot <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 9, 3:00 am, "g" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > I hope that the quill stem is inserted far enough into the head tube. I
> > can't see in the picture but it looks like it might reveal the minimum
> > insertion mark. The picture is fuzzy on the enlarged size pic. It looks like
> > I can almost see the mark but can't tell."Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >news:[email protected]...

> > > Hello there fellow bicyclists.

> > > I just purchased a used Bianchi Strada LX road bicycle for a lady
> > > friend who wants to start bicycling. An image of it can be found here:

> > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/756789136/

> > > The bicycle has 12 gears with a 6 gear frewheel which is shifted via
> > > Suntour Acu-Shift shifters and derailleurs. The wheels are 700C and
> > > have decent 25mm tires and presta tubes mounted on them. Maxinum
> > > pressure for the tires is 100 psi which will be great for her.

> > > The crankset is a Sugino VP with 42 and 52 teeth chain rings and has
> > > KKK quill pedals on it.

> > > The bicycle fram and forks are made from Bianchi Special Tubing. When
> > > I removed the 2 wheels to put the bicycle in the trunk I thought that
> > > it was not very heavy. I am wondering, not that it matters (we are
> > > just curious) what this tubing is. Is it a straight-gauge cro-moly?

> > > The bicycle wheels are built with Araya rims laced to one-piece quick
> > > release hubs front and rear that have plastic seals. I see a KK on the
> > > quick release skewer levers but do not know the make of them. Does any
> > > one here?

> > > The wheels are round and very true. The brake calipers are Dia-Comp
> > > clones and each one has a quick release. They are matched to Dia-Comp
> > > clone aero brake levers.

> > > The drop handle bars have the reinforcing sleeve and are covered in
> > > new-condition black padded handlebar tape.

> > > The saddle is a wide Bianchi womens saddle and is in excellent shape.

> > > This bicycle also had a Zefal HPX pump.

> > > Cost of this used bicycle was $25 Cdn. I gavce the seller $40 Cdn as
> > > I though it was in very good condition. The lady I bought it for is
> > > very excited about it and is looking forward to riding it. We both
> > > think we got a great deal and the seller was delighted to get the
> > > extra $15.

> > > As I said above we are interested in what the Bianchi Special Tubing
> > > is made from. Is it a straight-gauge cro-moly?

> > > Thank you very much if you are able to enlighten us. We aregoing to
> > > enjoy this bicycle regardles but it would be interesting to know.

> > > Cheers from Peter- Hide quoted text -

> Hi there.
>
> Thanks for the heads up. That is the seller's picture of the bike from
> their ad. You were right about the stem. When I bought the bike the
> first thing I did was lower the stem to the mark.
>
> So, is there any chance thiks is a cro-moly tubed frameset?

It's almost certainly cro-moly, but of what quality is the question.

One good rough guide is the seatpost diameter. Assuming a 28.6mm outer
dimension on the seat tube, a 27.2mm seatpost indicates a top quality
tubeset (thin tube walls), a 26.6 a much lower grade (much thicker
tube walls), probably seamed tubes. (There are seatpost sizes between
27.2 and 26.6, obviously, but this is just an example. And, yes, there
are other varibles, but this is a good guide line.)

> Thanks from Peter- Hide quoted text -

On Jul 9, 8:25 am, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 9, 6:46 am, Sir Ridesalot <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 9, 3:00 am, "g" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I hope that the quill stem is inserted far enough into the head tube. I
> > > can't see in the picture but it looks like it might reveal the minimum
> > > insertion mark. The picture is fuzzy on the enlarged size pic. It looks like
> > > I can almost see the mark but can't tell."Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > >news:[email protected]...

> > Hi there.

> > Thanks for the heads up. That is the seller's picture of the bike from
> > their ad. You were right about the stem. When I bought the bike the
> > first thing I did was lower the stem to the mark.

> > So, is there any chance thiks is a cro-moly tubed frameset?

> It's almost certainly cro-moly, but of what quality is the question.
>
> One good rough guide is the seatpost diameter. Assuming a 28.6mm outer
> dimension on the seat tube, a 27.2mm seatpost indicates a top quality
> tubeset (thin tube walls), a 26.6 a much lower grade (much thicker
> tube walls), probably seamed tubes. (There are seatpost sizes between
> 27.2 and 26.6, obviously, but this is just an example. And, yes, there
> are other varibles, but this is a good guide line.)
>

> > Thanks from Peter- Hide quoted text -

Hi and thanks.

The lady is really looking forward to riding this bicycle.

Cheers from Peter

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
>>> I just purchased a used Bianchi Strada LX road bicycle for a lady
>>> friend who wants to start bicycling. An image of it can be found here:
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/756789136/

-snip
> So, is there any chance thiks is a cro-moly tubed frameset?

As another writer noted, likely Tange #5 which would have a seatpost
size of 26.4 or 26.6. Basic carbon-steel tube would have a 25.4 seat
post. (premium material at 26.8 OD uses a 27.2 post).

"Bianchi Special Tube", Mike Schwering's detail, means lighter gauge
top tube with heavier downtube and chainstays, later called "Bianchi
SuperSet Tube" when Sky Yaeger tweaked the spec a bit. see also "Basso
Special" tube set and "3Rensho Super Strong" tubes, among others
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Jul 9, 2:05 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> -snip
> > So, is there any chance thiks is a cro-moly tubed frameset?

> As another writer noted, likely Tange #5 which would have a seatpost
> size of 26.4 or 26.6. Basic carbon-steel tube would have a 25.4 seat
> post. (premium material at 26.8 OD uses a 27.2 post).
>
> "Bianchi Special Tube", Mike Schwering's detail, means lighter gauge
> top tube with heavier downtube and chainstays, later called "Bianchi
> SuperSet Tube" when Sky Yaeger tweaked the spec a bit. see also "Basso
> Special" tube set and "3Rensho Super Strong" tubes, among others
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thank you very much Andrew.

I just checked the seat post and it says 26.4mm so at least it is not
High Tensile steel.

Cheers from Peter.