types of bicycle trainer mount?

On Sep 16, 6:35 pm, "peter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I see two types of mount for bicycle trainer:
>
> (1) clamps on both sides of the rear axlel e,g:http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16127&subcategory...
>
> (2) comes with a skewer, e.g.:http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=17626&subcategory...
>
> Since the second type is cheaper, is it not as good as the first type?
>
> I know nothing about bicycle trainer and would appreciate some feedback.

sometimes known as vomitrons...
both are clamping on the skewer, since it may damage the skerwer one
provides a skewer for clamping purposes. which one to buy really
depends on you and what do you want or expect from a trainer. usually,
you can expect to get in terms of quality, what you pay for. but then,
how much do you expect to use a trainer ? how much money do you have ?
a rich dilitante might buy be carefree enough to buy the most
expensive one as a showpiece for an excercise room....some other guy
might be just able to afford the cheapest of them all and yetr hammers
at least an hour every day on it waiting for less treacherous weather
to return. the skewer is unimportant, what you might try doing is
going to a local bike shop trying out one or two trainers and seeing
if that is something you are prepared to invest some time on. be
advised you may have to deal with noise, vibrations, excessive
sweating and corrosive effects of such; but if used properly you will
be flying in the spring.(without the urge to vomit)

peter wrote:
> I see two types of mount for bicycle trainer:
>
> (1) clamps on both sides of the rear axlel e,g:
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16127&subcategory_ID=4120
>
> (2) comes with a skewer, e.g.:
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=17626&subcategory_ID=4120
>
> Since the second type is cheaper, is it not as good as the first type?
>
> I know nothing about bicycle trainer and would appreciate some feedback.

Most good trainers will include a cheap but "round-head" skewer and a
"round" nut. A lot of QR skewer heads and nuts aren't round, and won't
hold well in the clamps. The clamps are usually cut to hold a round head
and nut.

Both examples you showed are the same, incidentally. It's just that one
shows the skewer, and the other probably includes it but didn't show it.

The Kurt Kinetic I bought came with a skewer.
The bike it was intended for has Deore XT hubs+skewers, and on those
skewers neither the skewer head or the nut is round.
~

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 06:09:56 -0500, DougC wrote:
> Most good trainers will include a cheap but "round-head" skewer and a
> "round" nut. A lot of QR skewer heads and nuts aren't round, and won't
> hold well in the clamps. The clamps are usually cut to hold a round head
> and nut.

Being unbelievably ignorant about bicycle mechanical concepts... what
exactly is one supposed to do with the skewer?

Got one with mine but the skewer is still sitting in the basement & the
trainer works just fine. Couldn't figure out what the skewer is for...

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 06:09:56 -0500, DougC wrote:
>> Most good trainers will include a cheap but "round-head" skewer and a
>> "round" nut. A lot of QR skewer heads and nuts aren't round, and won't
>> hold well in the clamps. The clamps are usually cut to hold a round head
>> and nut.

> Being unbelievably ignorant about bicycle mechanical concepts... what
> exactly is one supposed to do with the skewer?
>
> Got one with mine but the skewer is still sitting in the basement & the
> trainer works just fine. Couldn't figure out what the skewer is for...

If the outside of your skewer head and skewer nut are round, don't worry
about it.

If they're not, then use the included skewer and nut instead of your
own, while the bike is on the trainer. The QR skewer and nut are
probably machined to mate with the trainer clamp ideally.
~

On Sep 17, 9:59 am, Doug Smith W9WI <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 06:09:56 -0500, DougC wrote:
> > Most good trainers will include a cheap but "round-head" skewer and a
> > "round" nut. A lot of QR skewer heads and nuts aren't round, and won't
> > hold well in the clamps. The clamps are usually cut to hold a round head
> > and nut.

> Being unbelievably ignorant about bicycle mechanical concepts... what
> exactly is one supposed to do with the skewer?
>
> Got one with mine but the skewer is still sitting in the basement & the
> trainer works just fine. Couldn't figure out what the skewer is for...

you can use it on the bb for a sheeskabob.....sheesh....

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:54:45 -0500, DougC wrote:
> If they're not, then use the included skewer and nut instead of your
> own, while the bike is on the trainer. The QR skewer and nut are
> probably machined to mate with the trainer clamp ideally.

Ah, OK. Mine are round, so I guess it's OK for the included skewer to be
in the basement...