Types of rosemary?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jmk, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Jmk

    Jmk Guest

    I have a rosemary bush in my yard. I planted it about two years ago and it is very healthy. The
    problem is, I think that maybe I bought the wrong kind? The needles fall off the rosemary sprigs
    when I use them in cooking (fine for marinades though) but when I have purchase rosemary in the
    past, I have not had this problem. Anyway, I am thinking of replacing this bush with a more
    appropriate one but I'd like some pointers first. Thanks!
    --
    jmk in NC

    Tags:

  2. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "jmk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a rosemary bush in my yard. I planted it about two years ago and it is very healthy. The
    > problem is, I think that maybe I bought the wrong kind? The needles fall off the rosemary sprigs
    > when I use them in cooking (fine for marinades though) but when I have purchase rosemary in the
    > past, I have not had this problem. Anyway, I am thinking of replacing this bush with a more
    > appropriate one but I'd like some pointers first. Thanks!
    > --
    > jmk in NC

    How's the flavor? That's what is important. If you need to remove the rosemary before serving tie it
    in a cheesecloth sack.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  3. The Joneses

    The Joneses Guest

    jmk wrote:

    > I have a rosemary bush in my yard. I planted it about two years ago and it is very healthy. The
    > problem is, I think that maybe I bought the wrong kind? The needles fall off the rosemary sprigs
    > when I use them in cooking (fine for marinades though) but when I have purchase rosemary in the
    > past, I have not had this problem. Anyway, I am thinking of replacing this bush with a more
    > appropriate one but I'd like some pointers first. Thanks!

    You may want to try watering the plant very well the day before you plan on using fronds. I think
    most plants will lose leaves easily if stressed by no water. Logee's Greenhouse in Connecticut (just
    reading the catalog is fun- logees.com ) lists about 25 varieties of rosemary. I've also gotten real
    good service from goodwincreekgardens.com My rosemary is evergreen, upright, light blue flowers I
    got at a discount house about 15 years ago. I believe that rosemary is rather hard to sprout from
    seeds, BTW, so if you get a new one, get a plant-an upright variety to make nice fronds for
    shishkabobmary. Good luck. Edrena

  4. "jmk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a rosemary bush in my yard. I planted it about two years ago and it is very healthy. The
    > problem is, I think that maybe I bought the wrong kind? The needles fall off the rosemary sprigs
    > when I use them in cooking (fine for marinades though) but when I have purchase rosemary in the
    > past, I have not had this problem. Anyway, I am thinking of replacing this bush with a more
    > appropriate one but I'd like some pointers first. Thanks!
    > --
    > jmk in NC

    There are lots of rosemary varieties to choose from. Most important is to choose one that can
    tolerate the winter temperatures where you live. Most of the tags in the pots of rosemary you
    purchase will tell you what the low temperature tolerance is. Janet

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    The Joneses <[email protected]> wrote:

    > jmk wrote:
    >
    > > I have a rosemary bush in my yard. I planted it about two years ago and it is very healthy. The
    > > problem is, I think that maybe I bought the wrong kind? The needles fall off the rosemary sprigs
    > > when I use them in cooking (fine for marinades though) but when I have purchase rosemary in the
    > > past, I have not had this problem. Anyway, I am thinking of replacing this bush with a more
    > > appropriate one but I'd like some pointers first. Thanks!
    >
    > You may want to try watering the plant very well the day before you plan on using fronds. I think
    > most plants will lose leaves easily if stressed by no water. Logee's Greenhouse in Connecticut
    > (just reading the catalog is fun- logees.com ) lists about 25 varieties of rosemary. I've also
    > gotten real good service from goodwincreekgardens.com My rosemary is evergreen, upright, light
    > blue flowers I got at a discount house about 15 years ago. I believe that rosemary is rather hard
    > to sprout from seeds, BTW, so if you get a new one, get a plant-an upright variety to make nice
    > fronds for shishkabobmary. Good luck. Edrena

    Hard to sprout from seeds, but easy to root a branch from a friend's plant; just strip the needles
    from the bottom of the sprig/branch and set in a glass of water. ...don't know if the sprigs you can
    buy in the store will root after being separated from the plant for so long, but you could try.

    Rosemary