Types of rosemary?

Jmk

Guest
I have a rosemary bush in my yard. I planted it about two years ago and it is very healthy. The
problem is, I think that maybe I bought the wrong kind? The needles fall off the rosemary sprigs
when I use them in cooking (fine for marinades though) but when I have purchase rosemary in the
past, I have not had this problem. Anyway, I am thinking of replacing this bush with a more
appropriate one but I'd like some pointers first. Thanks!
--
jmk in NC

"jmk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a rosemary bush in my yard. I planted it about two years ago and it is very healthy. The
> problem is, I think that maybe I bought the wrong kind? The needles fall off the rosemary sprigs
> when I use them in cooking (fine for marinades though) but when I have purchase rosemary in the
> past, I have not had this problem. Anyway, I am thinking of replacing this bush with a more
> appropriate one but I'd like some pointers first. Thanks!
> --
> jmk in NC

How's the flavor? That's what is important. If you need to remove the rosemary before serving tie it
in a cheesecloth sack.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

jmk wrote:

> I have a rosemary bush in my yard. I planted it about two years ago and it is very healthy. The
> problem is, I think that maybe I bought the wrong kind? The needles fall off the rosemary sprigs
> when I use them in cooking (fine for marinades though) but when I have purchase rosemary in the
> past, I have not had this problem. Anyway, I am thinking of replacing this bush with a more
> appropriate one but I'd like some pointers first. Thanks!

You may want to try watering the plant very well the day before you plan on using fronds. I think
most plants will lose leaves easily if stressed by no water. Logee's Greenhouse in Connecticut (just
reading the catalog is fun- logees.com ) lists about 25 varieties of rosemary. I've also gotten real
good service from goodwincreekgardens.com My rosemary is evergreen, upright, light blue flowers I
got at a discount house about 15 years ago. I believe that rosemary is rather hard to sprout from
seeds, BTW, so if you get a new one, get a plant-an upright variety to make nice fronds for
shishkabobmary. Good luck. Edrena

"jmk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a rosemary bush in my yard. I planted it about two years ago and it is very healthy. The
> problem is, I think that maybe I bought the wrong kind? The needles fall off the rosemary sprigs
> when I use them in cooking (fine for marinades though) but when I have purchase rosemary in the
> past, I have not had this problem. Anyway, I am thinking of replacing this bush with a more
> appropriate one but I'd like some pointers first. Thanks!
> --
> jmk in NC

There are lots of rosemary varieties to choose from. Most important is to choose one that can
tolerate the winter temperatures where you live. Most of the tags in the pots of rosemary you
purchase will tell you what the low temperature tolerance is. Janet

In article <[email protected]>,
The Joneses <[email protected]> wrote:

> jmk wrote:
>
> > I have a rosemary bush in my yard. I planted it about two years ago and it is very healthy. The
> > problem is, I think that maybe I bought the wrong kind? The needles fall off the rosemary sprigs
> > when I use them in cooking (fine for marinades though) but when I have purchase rosemary in the
> > past, I have not had this problem. Anyway, I am thinking of replacing this bush with a more
> > appropriate one but I'd like some pointers first. Thanks!
>
> You may want to try watering the plant very well the day before you plan on using fronds. I think
> most plants will lose leaves easily if stressed by no water. Logee's Greenhouse in Connecticut
> (just reading the catalog is fun- logees.com ) lists about 25 varieties of rosemary. I've also
> gotten real good service from goodwincreekgardens.com My rosemary is evergreen, upright, light
> blue flowers I got at a discount house about 15 years ago. I believe that rosemary is rather hard
> to sprout from seeds, BTW, so if you get a new one, get a plant-an upright variety to make nice
> fronds for shishkabobmary. Good luck. Edrena

Hard to sprout from seeds, but easy to root a branch from a friend's plant; just strip the needles
from the bottom of the sprig/branch and set in a glass of water. ...don't know if the sprigs you can
buy in the store will root after being separated from the plant for so long, but you could try.

Rosemary