Typical annual Mileage??

flapsupcleanup said:
I seem to average around 7K per year. That doesnt count trainer riding and MTB which I do more during the winter.

14K miles per year....that's averaging 270 miles per week, every week! So if you take a week off then you have to ride 540 miles the next week to make up :eek:

Now that is impressive.
Why , would you want to take a week off:confused: ,Musher

musher said:
Why , would you want to take a week off:confused: ,Musher
Actually, I was more thinking about when you have to take a week off....or a few days. Weather, family, travel, illness, whatever. Maybe a better way to look at it is 14K per year is about 40 miles per day average. Sooooo, any day you dont ride, you have to ride 80 the next day to make up....etc, etc.

I'm still impressed :D

About 10,500; about Cat III (in México the categories are different), about 40 years old :D

I just started cycling a week ago. last week I put on 165 miles. this week im shooting for 260. I just have the problem that cycling is really boring to me. Not as boring as running though. But I still find it hard to stay interested for 3 or so hours.

drmrd said:
I just started cycling a week ago. last week I put on 165 miles. this week im shooting for 260. I just have the problem that cycling is really boring to me. Not as boring as running though. But I still find it hard to stay interested for 3 or so hours.
that means your doing it wrong :D . seriously, i can honestly say that i have never, ever, been bored on a bicycle. even while watching montel on my rollers, i still am entertained. btw, unless youre some star endurance athlete, jumping from 165 to 260 in your second week of cycling is going to be huge. usually increase by 10% weekly.

2900 miles ytd. plus probably 150 hrs on rollers. just getting back into cycling after a 5 yr hiatus.

2006: 9,500 to 10,000 miles.
2005: 8557 miles
2004: 7273 miles
2003: 6419 miles
2002: 3672 miles

2006: I raced most of the year as a Cat. 2 but upgraded a few weeks to Cat. 1. It's all pretty much the same, though, as most events are Pro/1/2 around here.

2005: I raced the entire year as a Cat. 2.

2004: I raced the early part of the year as a Cat. 3, then upgraded to Cat. 2.

2003: I raced the entire year as a Cat. 3.

2002: After almost six years of not racing, I returned to racing as a Cat. 3.

Two notes:

1. You can see my mileage increased as I began to upgrade. Training helps racing. However, it's not always mileage, but quality of training. I bet I could get better results without as many miles.

2. Most of the miles come in the off-season, November through February, when it's about building a base and going on long, steady rides. During the season, the miles are less but the intensity picks up.

-adm
http://www.imadm.com/

FOR SALE: Felt F1 Frame & Fork. Check it out »

About 6 - 7 000 kilometres a year. Racer, B/C grade. I should do more but two little boys( 8 months and 2 years 7 months) mean it won't happen for a while.

Also the racing season is in the winter here - so very hard to motivate myself to do more kms at this time of year.

musher said:
Racer-Master 50-cat 2
Racing season 200/300 miles weekly.
Off racing season 300/400 miles weekly.
Last year (sept 05 to aug 06 ) 14,400 miles:D musher
Ok , i forgot to say that a good part of the 14,400 miles are Mountain miles , has i live in "Cascades mountains":cool: ,Musher

BtonRider said:
What is your typical annual mileage? (Please include if you're a recreational rider or racer and your category... for perspective)
Between 3500 - 4500 miles

about 8,000 miles.

Cat 1, Netherlands.

Since April 75% of that mileage has been racing.

When I was "recreational" or "preparing to start racing" I used to ride 3x as much as I do now and was about 10x worse. I know it's a cliche, but it isn't quantity, it's quality. I know elites who train less than 12 hours a week. If you only do 2 hr crits and the occasional 4 hour RR putting in 20 hour weeks is actually detrimental to performance. That's what you'd do if you were building up for the Tour...train for what you have to do, not what the pros have to do.

I think (having made this mistake myself) that too many novices and recreational riders equate training duration with improvement. Not always so - it's intensity and frequency of intensity that make a difference, and the best training you can do is racing. Riding hours and hours alone is very unproductive. 90 minutes of sprint intervals beats 72 miles in 4 hours anytime.

When it comes to racing it isn't really about how far you can ride, but how fast you can ride. I learned the hard way that just because you can average 34km/h for 4 hours on your own in the wind doesn't mean you'll survive a 120km RR. If you've never trained for the intensity of biting on the bars at >50km/h for way longer than is comfortable, then sprinting again before you've even thought about getting your breath back - you'll be dropped very quickly.

Honestly dont know. Just invested in a pair of Cat Eye computers for
my bikes. Wen't through a thorough double and triple check to ensure
accuracy. Thought I was doing about 50miles/week, turned out to be
200. I have lived in 8 states, rode in all of them, and settled in what has
to be the worst (Chicago). Will be 56 in a few months, and got back to
cycling for health, now it's pleasure. I have a remanufactured hip, arm,
thigh and ankle. Can't walk in a straight line but on my bike all is equal.
I am highly impressed by the averages posted on this thread.
I have 4 year old car in the garage that only has 6500 miles avg per
year on it!

1st year racer (Cat. 5, upgrading to 4 in 3 weeks). On pace for 7500 miles.

Past 4 years as a "fast recreational rider", about 5500 miles per year.

drmrd said:

You won't last 2 months at this sport.

Bob

BullGod... Since April 75% of that mileage has been racing... I know it's a cliche said:
I agree that a quality workout is more important than just putting in "junk miles," but you can put in more than 40 quality miles. Personally, I train to race, I don't race to train. If you're only interested in Crits, then perhaps 40 miles is enough for a training ride, but there's a lot more out there than crits.

For those of us interested in ultramarathons, base mileage is important. I'd like to find someone who does a double century and doesn't put in more than 200 miles a week for the preceeding weeks. Of course there are those who put in tough 100 mile training rides mixed in with fast 40 mile routes. I think they tend to be faster on a double century, but they still put in a lot of miles before the event.

drmrd said:
Your mileage increase sounds like a recipe for injury. Speaking as someone who's gone through the pain of overtraining and overuse injuries, take it easy or you'll just hurt yourself.

If you're bored with it, try riding with a local club. It makes it more of a social event. Or if you ride with a fast group you'll be surprised at how diverting the constant attacks and tactics will make it.