typical low-carb meals - what us wrong with this

> >Nope. The most important high-fiber food excluded form
> >low-carb diet
is
> >whole-grain bread. It contains 7g of fiber / 100g.
> >Allowed vegetables contain average 3g / 100g. No problem
> >to substitute.
>
> You can substitute all manner of foods for each other, but
> without a valid reason, why not include a little of all of
> them that are available to you?

Yes, I did this for years. Was fine, only problem was that
it made me a little bit bloated :)

Mirek

> >It seems to be a good idea to reduce saturated fat intake
> >in LC maintenance mode (when your carbs go up - I expect
> >to end at about
100g
> >/ day). OTOH, given wide variety of healthy fat and
> >protein sources, this is hardly a problem...
>
> The problem is overeating energy. Otherwise there is no
> need for these extremes of diet for the normal, healthy.

I think you are wrong about it. Even if you burn all energy,
your health still depends on what you eat.

Mirek

> >Of course that carbs in excess are poisonous.
>
> Within your caloric allocation, and in a balanced diet,
> this is incorrect.

Even within your caloric allcation, if they cause glucose
spikes, they are dangerous. Bigger spikes, bigger danger.

> >More you are insulin resistant, more they are poisonous
> >to you.
>
> But most folks aren't "insulin resistant".

That is why most folks do not die after ingesting carbs. But
damage acumulates.

> > And then again, as it normalized my BMI in 4 months from
> > 29 to 24, I have only a little need to change anything
right

?

> >definitely
> >>
> >> Huh? One gram protein/kg/day is a little high, but an
> >> average 70kg
man

> >Well, it is definitely not too much.
>
> For some, but not for most. Have a look what neprologists
> advocate.

Well, I thought you advocate diet for normal people, that
means with healthy kidneys...

> >There is still a discussion, even in mainstream, about
> >how much protein is minumum, how much optimal
and
> >how much dangerous. AFAIK current minimal mainstream
> >recommendation
is
> >.8g/kg. Things ain't get wrong by 1g/kg....
>
> See above
>
> >> will be eating 70g protein or ~280 cal. The rest of
> >> your energy
needs?

> >Fat.
>
> Not very filling. So little of it... So many calories....

OMG. First you have a problem where my energy comes from,
now it has too many calories....

FIY, I mix fat with veggies - and that makes them VERY
filling.

> >Enjoy :) I will make my LC version by replacing low-fat
> >pizza sauce
with
> >real tomatoes, exlude potato and reduce beans and will
> >add olive oil. Will be yummy too, you bet! :)
>
> Probably great for a syndrome X sufferer. My pizza sauce
> has lots of "real" tomato and low fat minced beef and
> onions and spices.

A good idea :)

> >No. See research. High-carb diet always results in
> >high(er) TGs. Even Ornish admits it.
>
> Not on a eucaloric diet with moderate regular exercise.

If you insist...

> >:) I have already adapted to ketogenic pathways.
>
> What exactly are these?

Mostly adaptation of brain and other organs to burn
ketones for fuel.

> > For moderate exercise I am practising, I have no need to
> > break my fat burning metabolism by high-carb intake.
>
> What is this "breaking" nonsense? You burn fat constantly,
> so long as you eat a balanced eucaloric diet of
> wholefoods.

Have you ever tried to go from high-carb diet to low-
carb and back?

There is around 2 days adaptation when you do not feel
very well.

Mirek

> Really? Where is your information for this? A lot of DM2
> sufferers eat many times per day (small meals)

Not those that are controlling disease with LC.

> >You are simply not hungry enough.
>
> that has nothing to do with how you split your daily
> calories. I believe many many syndrom X and DM2 suffereres
> eat more often, and smaller portions.

If on low-fat "balanced" diet, it is now wonder.

> >Of course we do. But they do not rise blood sugar.
>
> Neither does insulin.

Agree. But carbs do.

> But it IS insulin, and not blood sugar that stimulates
> apetite, remember? Blood surar supresses hunger.

Protein supresses hunger too. Low blood sugar
increases hunger.

> >Basic formula food composition formula (if one cares to
> >count) is this:
start
> >with protein, usually at 1g/kg. Add your desired level
> >of carbs
(around
> >50g for me). Compute calories and fill rest with fat
> >(monounsaturated preffered).
>
> And what a boring unnecessary nonsense unless you are ill.

OK, so what you are basically suggesting is eat what you
want and do not care. Well, do what you want. It is your
body. Enjoy your healthy australian big macs, fill with
healthy australian french fries, drink corn syrup sweetened
soda, have some mikly shakes and apple pies. If you will be
able to survive your healthy balanced diet in good health,
good for you - you are just lucky man with great genotype.

Mirek

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 20:43:07 +0000, Martin Thompson
<[email protected]> posted:

>22:31:14 Fri, 26 Mar 2004sci.med.nutrition Moosh:) at
> "Moosh:)" <[email protected]> writes:
>>On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:02:11 +0000, Martin Thompson
>><[email protected]> posted:
>>
>>>11:24:54 Mon, 22 Mar 2004sci.med.nutrition Moosh:) at

>>>Hmm... the complete opposite of what I find in myself.
>>>But then, I am a diabetic. If I eat such foods as bread,
>>>rice, potatoes and so on, my glucose levels go too high,
>>>then they come plummeting down too fast and I feel hungry
>>>again. The chart is not to be advised for people like me.
>>>And as was pointed out, maybe fat have a metabolic
>>>problem with these foods, like I do (my weight is normal,
>>>now, though, but I am still diabetic).
>>
>>Type one or two? Of course this doesn't apply to you
>>personally. You are ill.
>>

>Type 2.

Thanks

>>>Such a study is an interesting thing, but I hope that
>>>nutritionists don't go advising all people how to eat
>>>based on that and not on their individual metabolic needs
>>>(which is how dieticians around here advise people -
>>>i.e., with no reference to individual circumstances).
>>
>>You mean that dietitions around your way don't take a
>>patient's diabetes into account? Hooley Dooley!
>>

>It seems to be normal, both in the UK and the USA at least,
>going by the comments and criticisms I see in
>alt.support.diabetes and alt.support.diabetes.uk, and
>indeed on various official web sites purporting to advise
>diabetics. For example:
>
>http://www.diabetes-healthnet.ac.uk/leaflets/eating.htm
>
>The advice looks sensible until you study it a little more
>closely. Then it says:
>
><quote> Fill up on fibre and starchy (carbohydrate) foods
>
>Starchy foods include whole grain breakfast cereals,
>potatoes, rice, pasta, chapattis and whole grain bread.
>Make these foods the main part of every meal Add lentils,
>beans, split peas or broth mix to home-made soups and
>stews. </quote>
>
>"Make these foods the main part of every meal" indeed! And
>
><quote> Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables
>
>Aim to eat 2-3 servings of fruit each day Buy fresh fruit
>or fruit tinned in natural juice All fruit is good for you
>including bananas and small quantities of grapes or dried
>fruit Try to eat at least 2-3 servings of vegetables
>and/or salad every day Use fresh, frozen or tinned
>vegetables </quote>
>
>Almost any diet and exercise controlled diabetic trying to
>control their blood glucose by eating like this would fail.
>Then, they would end up on insulin, which would swiftly be
>converting many of these carbohydrates into fat... making
>the situation worse, unless they exercised an awful lot.

I'm staggered. I agree with you. I see what you mean. I
wonder if anyone has contacted them and asked by wht
authority they give such bad advice.

>The above site is completely typical. I have seen many such
>sites. Another example:
>
>http://www.diabetes.org.uk/eatwell/food_diabetes/index.html
>
>This is the official site of the British Diabetic
>Association. It says,
>
><quote> The diet for people with diabetes is a balanced
>healthy diet, the same kind that is recommended for the
>rest of the population — low in fat, sugar and salt, with
>plenty of fruit and vegetables and meals based on starchy
>foods, such as bread, potatoes, cereals, pasta and rice.
>This section highlighted the issues you should consider
>when planning your meals. </quote>
>
>And so on.
>
>Certainly there are a small number of individuals who do
>give sensible advice - my first ever dietician many years
>ago told me to restrict my carbs to 20g per meal. But
>ever since then, I've been told to make around 60% of my
>diet carbs.

And they know you are type 2? That is fine advice for a type
one doing much exercise. If that's the case, I would go with
a good endocrinologist who is involved in research.

>Official National Health Service leaflets tell me the same
>(and tell me, for instance, that if I eat out, I should
>order extra portions of rice or pasta with my meals). Of
>course I ignore the lot. The stupidity of other people is
>something I have to resist if I want to keep my health.
>However, it is no wonder that other diabetics have real
>problems controlling their glucose levels: most people
>trust their medics implicitly.

That is staggering. Extra rice and pasta for a type 2? I
wonder what the rationale is. Or perhaps just pig ignorance.

>>>But... so-called normal healthy nutrition may be leading
>>>some people into these overeating problems, if they have
>>>the metabolism for it. Isn't that possible?
>>
>>No, eating too much and not doing regular exercise is what
>>causes weight gain. Eating a varied whoefood diet will not
>>"lead" you anywhere harmful. If you feel morbidly hungry
>>on a eucaloric diet, and excessively tired from doing
>>little exercise, get yourself medically checked out. You
>>are likely ill.
>>

>Quite so. I think, though, that the very earliest stages of
>diabetes are undetectable at present. People are blamed for
>overeating when, in many cases, there is a metabolic
>problem that is undiagnosed (and unknown, I strongly
>suspect).

The weight increase must still be from overeating. There is
NO other way. Metabolic syndrome is easily detected if there
is a will.

>>>This is an interesting idea and I have wondered about it
>>>myself. I certainly like to think that my own overeating
>>>was caused by something other than my conscious self...
>>
>>Poltergeists? Could you not control yourself? What do you
>>do if you

>My neighbours? LOL. ;-)

OK, but you get my point, I hope. Not all urges have to be
satisfied. Of course giving up smoking and the like is
easier in some respects as you can quit completely. You
can't quit food completely.

>>>but such a self-serving idea needs to be treated with
>>>suspicion. Still, it could be true, too. My feeling about
>>>it, comparing how I felt with how it seemed to me that
>>>other people felt (a difficult judgement, I know), is
>>>that I felt more hunger than other people, and that that
>>>hunger was caused by some sort of metabolic problem (I
>>>know not what).
>>
>>Syndrome X comes to mind. Perhaps a glucose tolerance test
>>with an insulin assay might shed some light.
>>

>That is right. However, I was not diagnosed as having
>anything wrong,
>i.e., insulin resistant in my case, until a good 10 years
> after something did in fact feel wrong: I was gaining
> weight, losing energy, getting a bit depressed, losing
> motivation, getting migraines... could be it was *just*
> overeating and lack of exercise, but that isn't
> definite.

When you start spilling glucose in your urine, you tend to
lose weight.

>>>Eventually, a known metabolic problem emerged and I was
>>>diagnosed as insulin resistant, then diabetic.
>>
>>Aha. better late than never.
>>
>>>At this stage, eating too many carbohydrates (as advised)
>>
>>By whom? Change endocrinologists rapidly!
>>

>By just about everybody. It is the official advice in
>Britain and the USA.

I'm gobsmacked. We have here diabetes clinics in major
teaching hospitals. They are often headed by world-renowned
diabetologists (endocrinologists). Maybe we are just very
lucky in Australia.

>>>didn't make solving the problem any easier as the
>>>cravings they caused (and can still cause) were (and are)
>>>stronger than my willpower.
>>
>>I can understand this, but there are ways of making excess
>>foods unavailable to you other than at meal times.
>>

>Eventually I found that if I didn't eat when I felt hungry,
>I would get a migraine within about 30 minutes to an hour.
>I decided that eating and putting on some weight, while not
>ideal, was a lot better than frequent migraines. I noticed
>that constipation and diarrhoea often preceded the
>migraines as well. The doctor thought it could be irritable
>bowel syndrome (translation: didn't know).
>
>Eventually, a few years after diagnosis as insulin
>resistant, I found out that it was being caused by rapid
>swings up and down in my blood glucose levels. Nobody in
>the medical profession told me to watch out for that or
>discovered it, or gave me any useful information to help me
>try and figure it out or stop it. I was told that digestive
>upsets have no connection with migraines. That was wrong as
>I found some foods that caused the upset (potatoes in
>particular) causing my digestive system to seize up,
>causing my blood glucose levels to drop, causing (some of)
>the migraines.
>
>Frankly, I know more about my condition than they do,
>clearly. I've had it with them. After years of bad advice
>from numerous sources, I think I know where I stand.

Fair enough. I wonder however if your "migraines" were not
"hypoglycemia". (Hypos)

>>> I am only able to eat less since I learned about cutting
>>> carbohydrates down.
>>
>>Sounds perfectly reasonable for a type2 diabetic.
>>
>>>Thereafter, willpower is hardly needed and I have been
>>>able to control my weight properly for the first time.
>>>The nutritional advice given to diabetics simply stinks.
>>
>>See my comment about your endocrinologist above.
>>

>I haven't been assigned to one. :) Anyway, I think I'm
>better off steering well clear of the medical profession as
>much as I can.

I understand that, but can you not sus out a good diabetes
endo in a large teaching hospital? Maybe our medical system
is very different to yours. What you describe in USA and UK
seem worse than third world from my perspective.

>>>My personal guess is that I don't lack willpower (people
>>>tell me I have lots), so I conclude that I must have been
>>>feeling more hungry.
>>
>>Well no and yes :)
>>

>I see these options:
>
>a) lack of willpower;

Or too much urge to resist?

>b) extra hunger;

Yep, same thing.

>c) both of the above;

Yep

>d) none of the above.

Certainly in some form.

>>>I would be interested in knowing those numbers. However,
>>>it has to be said that many are undiagnosed. The typical
>>>DM2 isn't diagnosed until they've been losing beta cells
>>>for an estimated 6.5 years, and presumably they could
>>>have been insulin resistant (IR) for longer than that.
>>>The numbers, to be most helpful, would need to be based
>>>on a careful study of the undiagnosed overweight to
>>>determine whether or not they show any of the precursors
>>>of DM (high blood pressure, bad lipid levels, some
>>>insulin resistance, high insulin levels) and choices
>>>would have to be made about how to classify those that
>>>did show less than optimal readings. There is no sudden
>>>jump in these levels from a diagnosis of normal to IR to
>>>DM: it is a smooth continuum: a given person could be
>>>anywhere on the range.
>>
>>Yes

>>>Well, I definitely am. And yes, I concur; it may well be
>>>that some people are and some are not.
>>
>>Many are when eating anything.

>>>I won't disagree with that, even though I don't think
>>>that humans evolved eating grains (domestication of
>>>grains is a modern invention - only about 6,000 years
>>>old, isn't it?).
>>
>>Yes, mabey 10,000, but humanoids have collected wild grass
>>seeds forever, if they are available where they are of
>>course. Then there are starches like tubers and sago
>>

>OK. I think it would have been pretty hard for them to make
>60% of their diet comprise carbs though, especially as much
>of their food would have been seasonal. 10% - 20% maybe,
>but that's just hand-waving. Hard to tell.

Yes. Of course, it might likely have been 60% of their
calorie intake, which was just above starvation level. They
got a lot of execise. Our hunter-gatherer "stone age"
aboriginals collect a lot of plant seeds, plant nectar,
yams, honey, fruits etc. Occasionally they hunt and kill an
animal. They do a hell of a lot of walking.

>>>But I think that the advice given to diabetics is the
>>>same as that given to normal people, and it is
>>>inappropriate.
>>
>>Similar for type ones, but I don't believe that advice
>>given to type 2s is often the same. It is certainly not
>>here. (Australia)
>>
>>Although exercise is the key to control for many.

>>>This sequence is unproven and circumstantial. Just
>>>because people get diagnosed with the metabolic syndrome
>>>long after they have gained weight doesn't mean that
>>>there wasn't something wrong and undiagnosed at an
>>>earlier stage causing the overeating and weight gain in
>>>the first place. Sure, it *might* just be overeating, but
>>>that behaviour itself might be caused by some disorder
>>>that has yet to be discovered.
>>
>>Yes, anything might be possible. Genetics is the basic
>>"cause" But if you exercise a lot and don't become fat,
>>you won't likely develop DM2. Ninety percent of DM2s are
>>overweight/obese
>>
>>>I agree that the syndrome then becomes self-perpetuating
>>>though, as eating as advised by so many nutritional
>>>'experts' causes more food cravings in such people (going
>>>by my personal experience and that of many others with
>>>diabetes).
>>
>>I'm curious to know who is giving this erronious advice.
>>

>See above. :-(

Thanks, I'm still smacking my gob :)

>>>Or c) are diabetic or prone to it, apparently.
>>
>>Sorry, my discussion is restricted to normal healthy
>>adults unless I state otherwise, but of course, I agree
>>with you. If you have a carb metabolic abnormality, then
>>carbs can damage you. Just like gluten can damage coeliac,
>>and walnuts can damage allergy sufferers. This stands to
>>reason, but as I said, not what I was referring to.
>
>Yep, normal healthy adults can cope with such a diet, even
>though I have my reservations about it, given that I
>personally doubt that humans evolved eating such a diet.
>Trouble is, many normal healthy adults are damaged by such
>a diet, and turn out not to be normal or healthy at all.

What damages these folk is eating too much. They evolved
struggling to get a bare minimum for survival. And did lots
of exercise. Our modern aboriginals are overweight, diseased
( kidney and DM2) and have a very short lifespan. They eat
too much "white man's tucker"

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 22:11:04 +0100, "Mirek Fidler" <[email protected]>
posted:

>> Well I'm talking about normal healthy adult humans,
>> aren't you?
>
>Just a question: You never ever in your life experienced
>reactive hypo?

I've never experienced child birth. I know a little about
it, however.

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:11:49 +0000, Martin Thompson
<[email protected]> posted:

>22:42:42 Fri, 26 Mar 2004sci.med.nutrition Moosh:) at
> "Moosh:)" <[email protected]> writes:
>>On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:22:56 +0000, Martin Thompson
>><[email protected]> posted:
>>
>>>15:29:59 Tue, 23 Mar 2004sci.med.nutrition Tanya Quinn at

>>>The body is perfectly capable of converting protein and
>>>fat into glucose for use as fuel, and it does so
>>>routinely (about 60% of protein and 30% of fat gets so
>>>converted).
>>
>>Nope, only 10% of fats CAN be converted to glucose. The
>>glyceryl moiety. These conversions to glucose is what I
>>referred to previously as "gluconeogenesis".
>>

>Well, this is the information I have:
>
>Quick acting Carbs 100% of calories to Blood Glucose in
>15-35 minutes (Table Sugar, Bread & Potatoes) Slow Acting
>Carbs 90-100% of calories to Blood Glucose in 30-95
>minutes (Durum Wheat Pasta, Beans & most Fruit) Protein
>60% conversion of calories to Blood Glucose in 180-240
>minutes Fat 10-30% conversion of calories to Blood Glucose
>in 480+ minutes

Quite wide ranges I see. Overlaping in some cases. Depends
also on what is eaten with it. And what is being done
(exercise) at that time. Funny that one of the quickest
carbs is also the most satiating foods.

>I forget where I got that information from, though, at
>the moment.

I'm curious.

>>>Why then is there a need for fuel from grains, sugar
>>>and starch
>>
>>You feel much better?
>>

>Not I... a non-diabetic might (although I don't think I did
>even before I had the disease).

Well I'm talking about non-diabetics. I'm talking about
normal healthy adults in general. General nutritional
principles. I know I keep getting sidetracked into
abnormal areas.

>>>(and where did pre-agricultural cavemen get such items
>>>from all year round)?
>>
>>Whereabouts?
>>

>Not really.

I meant in what geographic area? Iceland? Or a tropical
island with abundant coconuts and sago palms?

>A Palaeolithic diet may have been something like this:

It might have been just about like anything you could
imagine. I gave an example of something we are much surer
of. The extant Australian Aboriginal. Then there are
NewGuinea natives only recently exposed to Westerners.

>http://www.panix.com/~paleodiet/ especially:
>http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html
>
><quote> For millions of years, humans and their relatives
>have eaten meat, fish, fowl and the leaves, roots and
>fruits of many plants.

Yes, but in vastly different proportions in different
geographical areas.

>One big obstacle to getting more calories from the
>environment is the fact that many plants are inedible.

But many are fine foods. We have many books on "bush tucker"
as we describe it here. A famous army major was commissioned
by the army to map and document all the bush foods here for
the use of soldiers needing to survive. Most fruits are
edible and nutritious.

>Grains, beans and potatoes are full of energy but all are
>inedible in the raw state as they contain many toxins.

Only some. There are cycad and pine seeds that are toxic but
Aborigines have devised ways of making them edible. Many
toxic foods have had ways found to detoxify them.

>There is no doubt about that- please don’t try to eat
>them raw, they can make you very sick. </quote>
>
>and the details: <quote> The essentials of the Paleolithic
>Diet are:
>
>Eat none of the following: · Grains- including bread,
>pasta, noodles

Rubbish where do you think the idea of domesticating these
wild grasses came from? There are millions of depressions in
rocks in Australia where many thousands of years of humans
have ground their grains.

>· Beans- including string beans, kidney beans, lentils,
>peanuts, snow-peas and peas · Potatoes

Huh? Potatoes where they grow, other root storage organs
where they grew.

>· Dairy products

Many primitive tribes drink animals milk.

>· Sugar

Palm sugar and honey and flower nectar have been known
forever, and fruits of course.

>· Salt

Ocean water? Salt lakes?

>Eat the following: · Meat, chicken and fish · Eggs ·
>Fruit · Vegetables (especially root vegetables, but
>definitely not including potatoes or sweet potatoes)

Yams? Taro, sago?

>· Nuts, eg. walnuts, brazil nuts, macadamia, almond. Do
>not eat peanuts (a bean) or cashews (a family of their own)

Some legumes can be eaten and others can be detoxified by
soaking in water. Theres a huge Australian bean tree here.

>· Berries- strawberries, blueberries, raspberries etc.
>
> Try to increase your intake of: · Root vegetables-
> carrots, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, Swedes · Organ meats-
> liver and kidneys (I accept that many people find these
> unpalatable and won’t eat them) </quote>

Not if you are starving. Some of our Aboriginals ate clay.

>>>This tends to be what such a diet leads to: studies have
>>>shown that on such a diet people voluntarily eat less
>>>even when allowed to eat as much as they like: they
>>>actually want to eat less, and do so. Hence, they lose
>>>weight.
>>
>>Same goes for many people eating a wide variey of
>>wholefoods. There are many tricks to eating eucalorically.
>>The main thing is to eat a balanced diet.
>>

>The trouble is, the definition of "balanced" may be
>incorrect.

The definition of "balanced" is "supplying all nutritional
needs", well at least that's what the majority of educated
English speaks use it as (dictionary)

>One could come up with any combination of foods and call it
>"balanced" and it seems that this may be what has happened
>(OK, I'm exaggerating, but you get my drift, I hope).

Not sure. Yes, many combinations of foods can give you all
your nutritional requirements. Best however to eat some of
everything available.

>A better, more neutral term, might be borrowed from
>physics, "the standard model".

Standard for whom? There are almost infinite "standard
models diets".

>The idea of lots of carbs was first introduced, I
>understand, during the second world war, to assist
>governments in rationing food supplies. It was not based on
>specific research. However, it seems to have stuck, even
>though the evidence is that it is harming large numbers of
>people, such as myself.

Hang about, there are billions of people in the world who
thrive on this diet and have done for thousands of years.
(South-east/East/South Asia)

>>>I have seen no evidence at all that too much protein can
>>>lead to kidney problems. The studies I have seen have
>>>shown that too much protein is harmful if the kidneys are
>>>*already* damaged, however, but that is not the same
>>>thing (and anecdotal evidence suggests that controlling
>>>blood glucose levels is a more important factor anyway,
>>>in diabetics that is).
>>
>>Yes, in diabetics. But have a look at the nephrologists
>>websites for advice on what protein intake should be.
>>

>I haven't looked, but I assume about 0.8g/kg body
>weight per day.

IIRC.

>>>It is worth noting, though, that such a diet typically
>>>reduces carbs and doesn't increase protein and fat much
>>>(i.e., doesn't fully counter-compensate), so the diet
>>>doesn't amount to a high protein diet anyway. The net
>>>result is a reduction in calories consumed.
>>
>>So you are assuming a hypercaloric diet in the first
>>place? Why not start from a eucaloric diet?
>>

>Yes; that is normal in the West (60% of US citizens being
>clinically obese).

Of course, and our conversations always tend to gravitate
towards this abnormal example. Just because the majority of
internet connected folk are fat.....

>But of course we are talking at slightly cross-purposes
>because you are concentrating on people with normal
>metabolisms and optimal bodies, whereas I am more concerned
>with the large numbers of people for whom such advice fails
>(and it *is* given to them nevertheless).

I agree with your aims, but yes, I'm trying to discuss basic
principles of nutrition.

>>>It could in some cases become a high fat diet, though,
>>>and as you say, too much fat (strictly, saturated fat and
>>>trans-fat) is known to be harmful for the heart. However,
>>>blood lipid levels actually correlate to the quantity of
>>>carbohydrates eaten and not to the amount of fat eaten
>>>(within reason). Why? Because insulin converts surplus
>>>blood glucose into fat.
>>
>>The same as the stuff you eat? What's the difference?
>
>AIUI, the difference is that the carbs get converted in the
>bloodstream and the resulting lipids get deposited in the
>arteries, etc. Fat that is eaten is broken down by the
>liver and stored more appropriately.

Not in my experience. It floats around in the blood stream
for a considerable time. Eat a fatty meal and then get a
sample of blood taken an hour or two later. That fatty
layer is.....

>I would like to see some clarification on this point,
>though. That is what I understand happens, but I may not be
>totally correct.

It seems to me that the evil bit of diet is excess. Excess
energy is stored. Fatness leads to disease.

>>But of course, this does not happen on a eucaloric diet.
>>NOTHING gets converted to fat (Nett)
>>

>I agree. It would all cancel out... or would it?

Yes, in the longrun. Fat stores are very labile, so there is
constant laying down and taking up, but after a month on a
eucaloric diet, there will be NO MORE fat stored than in the
beginning.

>Hmm... certainly the calories burned would be matched with
>your eating, by definition, but *which* calories you burn
>could make a difference to your overall health.

Within reasonable and fairly wide boundaries, and so long
as your diet is balanced. A normal healthy human will
have no problems. Of course regular moderate exercise is
always a given.

>If you were burning too many protein calories from your
>muscles, for example, that would not be healthy.

You would only do this if your diet were grossly unbalanced.

>Similarly, if you were not burning enough fat calories.

You would burn all of them, surely. Too much fat being
burned can be a risk of acidosis, but this will be no
problem for a healthy individual eating a reasonable and
balanced diet.

>>>Great if you aren't diabetic or suffering from syndrome
>>>X, or prone to either. No good if you are.
>>
>>Well I'm talking about normal healthy sdult humans,
>>aren't you?
>>

>Not really. :) As I mentioned above, I believe that a lot
>of people who are thought to be "normal" are greatly
>challenged by the standard model diet.

Only if that diet is not adhered to wrt being eucaloric,
which every advice I've ever seen does. Dietary advice I've
seen from health authorities is fine when adhered to.
Trouble is many folk think that if a teaspoon is good for
you, a bucketful will work miracles.

>>>And in fact, I can do a workout without carbs, but if I
>>>am feeling tired it can be more difficult. I have read
>>>one study though that showed that some people actually
>>>have more success avoiding the carbs in a workout (I
>>>think it was stamina people, IIRC).
>>
>>Normal folks perform much better on a diet of around 40 to
>>60% calories from carbs.
>>

>I wonder if they do, really.

Well that's what the vast majority of humans since time
immemorial have thrived on.

>Presumably there must be evidence for this,

History.

>mustn't there? We know that many people *can* handle such a
>diet, but what is the proof that it is optimal?

Dietary needs of humans are quite flexible. Billions of
people thriving for thousands of years on this diet being
advised now is surely evidence that it is fine.

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 10:43:54 +0100, "Mirek Fidler" <[email protected]>
posted:

>> >Nope. The most important high-fiber food excluded form
>> >low-carb diet
>is
>> >whole-grain bread. It contains 7g of fiber / 100g.
>> >Allowed vegetables contain average 3g / 100g. No problem
>> >to substitute.
>>
>> You can substitute all manner of foods for each other,
>> but without a valid reason, why not include a little of
>> all of them that are available to you?
>
>Yes, I did this for years. Was fine, only problem was that
>it made me a little bit bloated :)

And you didn't think to eat more slowly and stop before you
felt bloated?

> >Yes, I did this for years. Was fine, only problem was
> >that it made me
> >little bit bloated :)
>
> And you didn't think to eat more slowly and stop before
> you felt bloated?

Hm, what to say on this? Sure it is a problem of self-
control. OTOH, I WAS hungry.

FYI, I was not obese when I decided to get things under
control, just one little step from it. As I tried low-fat
and/or low-calorie diet before and was not able keep eating
this way, I just decided to try something different. It was
also a kind of experiment - after reading all of that pro-
and anti- LC articles I wanted to know whether LC really
works and to examine why. What I already know that in short
term it DOES work very well:) As for why I have several
theories, but I am sure you are NOT interested in them :)

Mirek

> The weight increase must still be from overeating.

I think you are right in the end.

OTOH, it is vicious cycle - eat carbs, overshoot insulin,
store them as fat, get hypo, get hungry, eat carbs....

Problem is that it works in many people far before they can
be classified as insulin-resistant. Unless your BG is
absolutely stable, there are swings. And this cycle makes
them worse and worse....

> >OK. I think it would have been pretty hard for them to
> >make 60% of
their
> >diet comprise carbs though, especially as much of their
> >food would
have
> >been seasonal. 10% - 20% maybe, but that's just hand-
> >waving. Hard to tell.
>
> Yes. Of course, it might likely have been 60% of their
> calorie intake,

Where they got these carbs from?!!!

> which was just above starvation level. They got a lot of
> execise. Our hunter-gatherer "stone age" aboriginals
> collect a lot of plant seeds, plant nectar, yams, honey,
> fruits etc.

Hm, have you ever consider what climate there was in last
several hunderds of thousands of years?

Even now in country I live (central europe) there is not too
much carbohydrates available in nature. Maybe some berries
three four months of year, other fruits only in summer and
maybe some nuts and veggies. Definitely not enough to keep
human population alive. I do not believe they could get 60%
from carbs.

And, BTW, you cannot get 60% of energy from carbs at near to
starvation levels and stay healthy. You would not simply get
enough essencial protein.

> They do a hell of a lot of walking.

Which is a good advice for us too! :)

Mirek

> >Well, this is the information I have:
> >
> >Quick acting Carbs 100% of calories to Blood Glucose in
> >15-35 minutes (Table Sugar, Bread & Potatoes) Slow Acting
> >Carbs 90-100% of calories to Blood Glucose in 30-95
minutes
> >(Durum Wheat Pasta, Beans & most Fruit) Protein 60%
> >conversion of calories to Blood Glucose in 180-240
minutes
> >Fat 10-30% conversion of calories to Blood Glucose in
> >480+ minutes
>
> Funny that one of the quickest carbs is also the most
> satiating foods.

Not funny at all. That is why they are "satiating". Question
still is for how long...

> >>Whereabouts?
> >>

> >Not really.
>
> I meant in what geographic area? Iceland?

You perhaps might not noticed yet, but Iceland wheather is
quite similiar to wheather humans had to survive for quite a
long time.

Mirek

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 14:27:41 +0200, "Mirek Fidler" <[email protected]>
posted:

>> Really? Where is your information for this? A lot of DM2
>> sufferers eat many times per day (small meals)
>
>Not those that are controlling disease with LC.

That's not the impression that the diabetes groups would
give you. Quite the opposite.

>> >You are simply not hungry enough.
>>
>> that has nothing to do with how you split your daily
>> calories. I believe many many syndrom X and DM2
>> suffereres eat more often, and smaller portions.
>
>If on low-fat "balanced" diet, it is no wonder.

Why? The same rationale applies, surely. Exercise is the
major bg control measure with DM2, diet is a close second.

>> >Of course we do. But they do not rise blood sugar.
>>
>> Neither does insulin.
>
>Agree. But carbs do.

But you implied that insulin was the problem.

>> But it IS insulin, and not blood sugar that stimulates
>> apetite, remember? Blood surar supresses hunger.
>
>Protein supresses hunger too.

But we are talking about perceived problems with carbs.

> Low blood sugar increases hunger.

That's what I said, in reverse.

>> >Basice/ formula food composition formula (if one cares
>> >to count) is this:
>start
>> >with protein, usually at 1g/kg. Add your desired level
>> >of carbs
>(around
>> >50g for me). Compute calories and fill rest with fat
>> >(monounsaturated preffered).
>>
>> And what a boring unnecessary nonsense unless you
>> are ill.
>
>OK, so what you are basically suggesting is eat what you
>want and do not care.

Nothing further from the truth. I'm advocating eating a
balanced diet (supplying all nutritional requirements),
chosen from as wide a variety of wholefoods (as close to
whole as practical) as possible, and eaten only to a
eucaloric level. (Approximately -- on average)

>Well, do what you want. It is your body. Enjoy your
>healthy australian big macs, fill with healthy australian
>french fries,

Big Macs are not filled with French fries. They are to
be avoided.

We don't have corn syrup here (unless imported from America)
And I advocate water, or a diet soft drink if you must have
one. Why would you assume that I would advocate anything
else? I have said many times that the Big Mac is fine
occasionally.

>drink corn syrup sweetened soda, have some mikly shakes and
>apple pies.

Not too bad very occasionally within your calorie
allocation. Not more than say once per month.

>If you will be able to survive your healthy balanced diet
>in good health, good for you - you are just lucky man with
>great genotype.

I suspect you are jumping to the opposite extreme because I
have advocated moderation and not the path you seem to be
advocating that is extreme and obsessive and doomed to
failure in the long run.

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 23:21:32 +0100, "Mirek Fidler" <[email protected]>
posted:

>> >It seems to be a good idea to reduce saturated fat
>> >intake in LC maintenance mode (when your carbs go up - I
>> >expect to end at about
>100g
>> >/ day). OTOH, given wide variety of healthy fat and
>> >protein sources, this is hardly a problem...
>>
>> The problem is overeating energy. Otherwise there is no
>> need for these extremes of diet for the normal, healthy.
>
>I think you are wrong about it. Even if you burn all
>energy, your health still depends on what you eat.

Not as much as many think. I advocate a balanced, varied,
wholefood, eucaloric diet with regular moderate exercise.
There is quite a possible range here but it will virtually
always result in optimal health.

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 23:38:07 +0100, "Mirek Fidler" <[email protected]>
posted:

>> >Of course that carbs in excess are poisonous.
>>
>> Within your caloric allocation, and in a balanced diet,
>> this is incorrect.
>
>Even within your caloric allcation, if they cause glucose
>spikes, they are dangerous. Bigger spikes, bigger danger.

But they don't cause glucose spikes in normal heathy humans.

>> >More you are insulin resistant, more they are poisonous
>> >to you.
>>
>> But most folks aren't "insulin resistant".
>
>That is why most folks do not die after ingesting carbs.
>But damage acumulates.

Damage from life accumulates. Everything is a compromise
between upside and downside. No diet (WOE) is perfect, but
the one I advocate will likely have the smallest downside.
(Greatest upside)

>> > And then again, as it normalized my BMI in 4 months
>> > from 29 to 24, I have only a little need to change
>> > anything
>right
>> >now. If it ain't broke, why fix it ?
>>
>> Agreed, but this means a balanced varied wholefood diet
>> is best for you.
>
>?

Alternative?

>> >definitely

>man
>> >
>> >Well, it is definitely not too much.
>>
>> For some, but not for most. Have a look what neprologists
>> advocate.
>
>Well, I thought you advocate diet for normal people, that
>means with healthy kidneys...

And look what nephrologists advocate for these folk.

>> >There is still a discussion, even in mainstream, about
>> >how much protein is minumum, how much optimal
>and
>> >how much dangerous. AFAIK current minimal mainstream
>> >recommendation
>is
>> >.8g/kg. Things ain't get wrong by 1g/kg....
>>
>> See above

>needs?
>> >
>> >Fat.
>>
>> Not very filling. So little of it... So many calories....
>
>OMG. First you have a problem where my energy comes from,
>now it has too many calories....

I don't "have a problem" with your energy source, even
though I asked for clarification. I'm suggesting that most
of your energy from fat is problematic if you are wanting to
reduce calories.

>FIY, I mix fat with veggies - and that makes them
>VERY filling.

And rather more energy dense? Try some potatoes instead :)

>> >Enjoy :) I will make my LC version by replacing low-fat
>> >pizza sauce
>with
>> >real tomatoes, exlude potato and reduce beans and will
>> >add olive oil. Will be yummy too, you bet! :)
>>
>> Probably great for a syndrome X sufferer. My pizza sauce
>> has lots of "real" tomato and low fat minced beef and
>> onions and spices.
>
>A good idea :)
>
>> >No. See research. High-carb diet always results in
>> >high(er) TGs. Even Ornish admits it.
>>
>> Not on a eucaloric diet with moderate regular exercise.
>
>If you insist...
>
>> >:) I have already adapted to ketogenic pathways.
>>
>> What exactly are these?
>
>Mostly adaptation of brain and other organs to burn ketones
>for fuel.

Do they need adaption for this? Surely it is the
gluconeogenic pathways that need augmenting (inducing), then
there will be enough glucose for the body activities that
run better on this energy substrate.

>> > For moderate exercise I am practising, I have no need
>> > to break my fat burning metabolism by high-carb intake.
>>
>> What is this "breaking" nonsense? You burn fat
>> constantly, so long as you eat a balanced eucaloric diet
>> of wholefoods.
>
>Have you ever tried to go from high-carb diet to low-carb
>and back?
>
>There is around 2 days adaptation when you do not feel
>very well.

Until the gluconeogenic pathways are induced. This is surely
just hypoglycaemia.

> >> Neither does insulin.
> >
> >Agree. But carbs do.
>
> But you implied that insulin was the problem.

Insuling is the problem in lowering BG.

> >Protein supresses hunger too.
>
> But we are talking about perceived problems with carbs.
>
> > Low blood sugar increases hunger.
>
> That's what I said, in reverse.

Hm, so you are trying to advocate ingestion of carbs to get
glucose high to supress hunger and feel good ?

Deadly advice, indeed.

Mirek

"Mirek Fidler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> > I meant in what geographic area? Iceland?
>
> You perhaps might not noticed yet, but Iceland wheather is
> quite similiar to wheather humans had to survive for quite
> a long time.
>
> Mirek

Iceland has a maritime temperate climate, not unlike the north-
eastern coast of the USA in the winter and much milder than
Canada or a large part of Europe, wintertime.

> >> Within your caloric allocation, and in a balanced diet,
> >> this is incorrect.
> >
> >Even within your caloric allcation, if they cause glucose
> >spikes,
they
> >are dangerous. Bigger spikes, bigger danger.
>
> But they don't cause glucose spikes in normal heathy
> humans.

Of course they do, unless you are one out of 100 persons.
They are just not that big.

> >That is why most folks do not die after ingesting carbs.
> >But damage acumulates.
>
> Damage from life accumulates. Everything is a compromise
> between upside and downside. No diet (WOE) is perfect, but
> the one I advocate will likely have the smallest downside.
> (Greatest upside)

Well, who knows.

> >> Agreed, but this means a balanced varied wholefood diet
> >> is best for you.
> >
> >?
>
> Alternative?

Well, so far I feeled like I am on balanced whole-food diet
now. Only problem is definition:)

> >OMG. First you have a problem where my energy comes from,
> >now it has
too
> >many calories....
>
> I don't "have a problem" with your energy source, even
> though I asked for clarification. I'm suggesting that most
> of your energy from fat is problematic if you are wanting
> to reduce calories.
>
> >FIY, I mix fat with veggies - and that makes them VERY
> >filling.
>
> And rather more energy dense? Try some potatoes instead :)

Hm, if you insist that I am eating more calories than before
going high-fat diet, then apparently calorie theory does not
work, as I have lost 30+ lbs....

> >Mostly adaptation of brain and other organs to burn
> >ketones for fuel.
>
> Do they need adaption for this?

Have you tried?

> >Have you ever tried to go from high-carb diet to low-carb
> >and back?
> >
> >There is around 2 days adaptation when you do not feel
> >very well.
>
> Until the gluconeogenic pathways are induced. This is
> surely just hypoglycaemia.

Yes, it is. But it was you saying that there is no
difference.

Mirek

Sorry for the long delay in replying - been sick, been busy,
computer's played up for a day and a night... Anyway...

15:21:41 Tue, 30 Mar 2004sci.med.nutrition Moosh:) at
"Moosh:)" <[email protected]> writes:
>On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 20:43:07 +0000, Martin Thompson
><[email protected]> posted:
>>Almost any diet and exercise controlled diabetic trying to
>>control their blood glucose by eating like this would
>>fail. Then, they would end up on insulin, which would
>>swiftly be converting many of these carbohydrates into
>>fat... making the situation worse, unless they exercised
>>an awful lot.
>
>I'm staggered. I agree with you. I see what you mean. I
>wonder if anyone has contacted them and asked by wht
>authority they give such bad advice.

Maybe I will get a bit pugnacious and write to them myself?
Heh. It might be interesting to see their reply.

But I am too busy with stuff at the moment, and seem to have
some sort of food poisoning hassle going on right now. But
when I have some time, it can't hurt to ask, can it?

>>Certainly there are a small number of individuals who do
>>give sensible advice - my first ever dietician many years
>>ago told me to restrict my carbs to 20g per meal. But
>>ever since then, I've been told to make around 60% of my
>>diet carbs.
>
>And they know you are type 2?

Yes.

> That is fine advice for a type one doing much exercise. If
> that's the case, I would go with a good endocrinologist
> who is involved in research.
>
>>Official National Health Service leaflets tell me the same
>>(and tell me, for instance, that if I eat out, I should
>>order extra portions of rice or pasta with my meals). Of
>>course I ignore the lot. The stupidity of other people is
>>something I have to resist if I want to keep my health.
>>However, it is no wonder that other diabetics have real
>>problems controlling their glucose levels: most people
>>trust their medics implicitly.
>
>That is staggering. Extra rice and pasta for a type 2? I
>wonder what the rationale is. Or perhaps just pig
>ignorance.

I never did figure it out, assuming pig ignorance is not the
answer. ;-)

>>>No, eating too much and not doing regular exercise is
>>>what causes weight gain. Eating a varied whoefood diet
>>>will not "lead" you anywhere harmful. If you feel
>>>morbidly hungry on a eucaloric diet, and excessively
>>>tired from doing little exercise, get yourself medically
>>>checked out. You are likely ill.
>>>

>>Quite so. I think, though, that the very earliest stages
>>of diabetes are undetectable at present. People are blamed
>>for overeating when, in many cases, there is a metabolic
>>problem that is undiagnosed (and unknown, I strongly
>>suspect).
>
>The weight increase must still be from overeating. There is
>NO other way. Metabolic syndrome is easily detected if
>there is a will.

Correct, but my thinking is that this is only one point in a
self-reinforcing cycle, and possibly not even the first
point that began the cycle for that person, many years ago
(something led to overeating, leading to this, to that,
etc.). It is an obvious point of attack if one is going to
try and deal with the problem though, but for many people it
may require that the other points in the cycle that make
controlling eating more difficult for them are dealt with in
some way too.

Personally I feel that our psychological insight into how to
help people to motivate themselves to help themselves is
staggeringly lacking. Humans are psychological animals more
than any other, and the methods used to motivate us seem
pretty stone-age to me: "I don't care how you feel! Eat
less, exercise more! Do it, stupid!" Stating the obvious end-
point of getting into a successful program would seem to me
to be of little help to most people who are still searching
for the beginning point. There are subtleties in human
motivation and behaviour which are simply being ignored. We
try to produce action with propaganda instead of with
understanding. And, it doesn't work all that well.

>>>Poltergeists? Could you not control yourself? What do you
>>>do if you

>>My neighbours? LOL. ;-)
>
>OK, but you get my point, I hope. Not all urges have to be
>satisfied. Of course giving up smoking and the like is
>easier in some respects as you can quit completely. You
>can't quit food completely.

One problem I think is that the urge to overeat is
unconscious: the eater has no idea that he or she is eating
too much: they just do what they and everyone else seems to
do, which is eat until they no longer feel hungry, as Mother
Nature intended (apparently). Going against what seems so
natural is not an easy thing for any animal to do (and I
include humans in that category) and most importantly it
*feels wrong*. Quite possibly, only humans even have the
potential to do this, since we can look to the longer term
better than any other species we know of.

Sure, humans can figure it out, and conclude that overeating
must be going on, and compare my plateful of food with
yours, but the logic circuits are new and relatively untried
in Nature and clearly have little influence, while the
emotional circuits are much older and of course are tried
and trusted implicitly by most people. And, the very
unconsciousness of the process prevents its being observed
by the person doing it when it is happening: they are in
state, in a kind of trance you could say. Something has to
snap them out of it (preferably at the time) for them to
even start to wonder where to begin looking for the source
of their problem, let alone zeroing in on what to do about
it right away.

This, er, Australian site seems interesting in this respect:
http://www.diabetescounselling.com.au/diabetesandyou.html

On the other hand, this Aussie site seems to be offering the
same advice as elsewhere:

http://www.woolworths.com.au/dietinfo/diabetes/index.asp
<quote> Increasing numbers of Australians have diabetes, of
which there are two main types. People with diabetes need
the same healthy diet now being recommended for all
Australians - plenty of fruit, vegetables and high-fibre
carbohydrates, moderate amounts of proteins and dairy
products and less fat (especially saturated fat). Sugar
should have only a minor role, and those with diabetes
should choose arbohydrate foods that are broken down
slowly, so glucose is released more gradually into the
bloodstream. </quote>

But maybe woolworths aren't exactly the world's experts on
the subject. Hmm... OK. The Dietician's Association of
Australia says:

http://www.daa.asn.au/public/smart_eating/nutrition/nutriti-
on.asp?alpha=C &id=47

<quote> Carbohydrate is an important nutrient found in many
foods. Foods containing carbohydrate include bread,
breakfast cereal, rice, pasta, fruit, potato, corn, dried
beans and lentils, milk and yoghurt. Carbohydrate is an
important source of energy for the body. Many carbohydrate-
containing foods are high in dietary fibre and low in fat
and are therefore healthy food choices. Try to eat carbohydrate-
containing foods in every meal to provide the body with
energy throughout the day.

The rate at which carbohydrate-containing foods are digested
varies greatly. Carbohydrate containing foods that are
digested slowly and therefore provide the most sustained
release of energy are those with a low glycaemic index.

A great deal of misleading information exists about
carbohydrate. Many fad diets suggest carbohydrate-containing
foods be eliminated in order to lose weight. This is far
from the truth. Carbohydrate-containing foods are generally
low in fat, low in energy (kilojoules) and high in fibre.

Eat a variety of low fat, high fibre carbohydrate-containing
foods each day.

An Accredited Practising Dietitian can provide expert advice
on the best type and amount of carbohydrate to be included
in your diet. </quote>

This is too vague to be able to tell exactly what they are
advising, but it looks suspiciously like the usual advice,
coupled with a plug for some fees for a dietician somewhere.
It also IMO misleadingly claims that carbs are essential for
energy without saying how many you must have. The Australian
sites in general seem to follow the same trend: the advice
is extremely vague - absent indeed, on some, unless you join
up and pay them some money.

http://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/ seems just as bad, with
no actual information available on the site (that I can find
quickly). Almost the whole country's web space on the
subject seems to be a conspiracy to *not* inform people
until they have bought some pamphlet or something.

It does link to here though:

http://www.lifeclinic.com/focus/diabetes/diet.asp

<quote> Eat more starches such as bread, cereal, and
starchy vegetables. Aim for six servings a day or more. For
example, have cold cereal with nonfat milk or a bagel with
a teaspoon of jelly for breakfast. Another starch-adding
strategy is to add cooked black beans, corn or garbanzo
beans to salads or casseroles. Eat five fruits and
vegetables every day. Have a piece of fruit or two as a
snack, or add vegetables to chili, stir-fried dishes or
stews. You can also pack raw vegetables for lunch or
snacks. Eat sugars and sweets in moderation. Include your
favorite sweets in your diet once or twice a week at most.
Split a dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth while reducing
the sugar, fat and calories. </quote>

Aha.

I think the six servings a day bit is their effort to
flatten out the BG roller-coaster by filling in the dips
created by earlier carbs with more carbs... a technique used
my many high-carb diabetics to try and prevent hypos and
complications (with not much success, as we know).

On the plus side, it says:

<quote> To control carbohydrates, try a technique called
carbohydrate counting. Carbohydrate counting means counting
the total number of grams of carbohydrate you should eat at
a meal or planned snack time based on your medication and
exercise habits. Then you can choose how to meet those
carbohydrate needs. You'll probably use a carbohydrate
counting book, which you can get at a supermarket or
bookstore. If you want to learn how to count carbohydrates
accurately, make an appointment with a dietician or a
diabetes educator. </quote>

Shock! A mention of portion control, at last! But, it turns
out, this is as American site. Still no real info from .au
anywhere easily found.

The above site has this interesting table:

<quote> Dietary guidelines for people with diabetes have
evolved as new knowledge about the disorder has been
discovered. Before 1921, the year in which insulin was
discovered, people were placed on starvation diets. As our
understanding of the mechanism of the disease and the role
of glucose in metabolism has improved, so have the
nutritional recommendations (see Table).

http://www.lifeclinic.com/focus/diabetes/articleView.asp?Me-
ssageID=601

Today, there is no one diet for people with diabetes. The
American Diabetes Association recommends that carbohydrate
and fat intake should be based on nutritional assessment
and treatment goals for each individual, with 10 to 20% of
calories from protein and less than 10% from saturated
fats. </quote>

>>>Syndrome X comes to mind. Perhaps a glucose tolerance
>>>test with an insulin assay might shed some light.
>>>

>>That is right. However, I was not diagnosed as having
>>anything wrong,
>>i.e., insulin resistant in my case, until a good 10 years
>> after something did in fact feel wrong: I was gaining
>> weight, losing energy, getting a bit depressed, losing
>> motivation, getting migraines... could be it was
>> *just* overeating and lack of exercise, but that isn't
>> definite.
>
>When you start spilling glucose in your urine, you tend to
>lose weight.

This would be likely more for type 1 I think, as their
glucose levels get very high and they start getting
ketoacidosis. A type 2 would be in a bad way to get up to
those levels (although they spill glucose at lesser levels
it isn't really what you are talking about I think).

>>>Aha. better late than never.

>>>By whom? Change endocrinologists rapidly!
>>>

>>By just about everybody. It is the official advice in
>>Britain and the USA.
>
>I'm gobsmacked. We have here diabetes clinics in major
>teaching hospitals. They are often headed by world-renowned
>diabetologists (endocrinologists). Maybe we are just very
>lucky in Australia.

I wonder what they are actually teaching, though?

>Fair enough. I wonder however if your "migraines" were not
>"hypoglycemia". (Hypos)

Some were.

>What damages these folk is eating too much.

That could be as much an effect as a cause (one of my
points, as you know by now). :)

--
Martin Thompson [email protected] (use "martin" not
"bin") London, UK Home Page: http://www.tucana.demon.co.uk

"Everything I do and say with anyone makes a difference."
Gita Bellin

15:34:10 Tue, 30 Mar 2004sci.med.nutrition
Moosh:) at "Moosh:)" <[email protected]> writes:
>On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:11:49 +0000, Martin Thompson
><[email protected]> posted:
>
>>22:42:42 Fri, 26 Mar 2004sci.med.nutrition Moosh:) at
>> "Moosh:)" <[email protected]> writes:
>>>On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:22:56 +0000, Martin Thompson
>>><[email protected]> posted:

>>Not I... a non-diabetic might (although I don't think I
>>did even before I had the disease).
>
>Well I'm talking about non-diabetics. I'm talking about
>normal healthy adults in general. General nutritional
>principles. I know I keep getting sidetracked into
>abnormal areas.

Heh. :)

>>>Whereabouts?
>>>

>>Not really.
>
>I meant in what geographic area? Iceland? Or a tropical
>island with abundant coconuts and sago palms?

OK, I agree. It would vary enormously.

>>A Palaeolithic diet may have been something like this:
>
>It might have been just about like anything you could
>imagine. I gave an example of something we are much surer
>of. The extant Australian Aboriginal. Then there are
>NewGuinea natives only recently exposed to Westerners.
>
>>http://www.panix.com/~paleodiet/ especially:
>>http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html
>>
>><quote> For millions of years, humans and their relatives
>>have eaten meat, fish, fowl and the leaves, roots and
>>fruits of many plants.
>
>Yes, but in vastly different proportions in different
>geographical areas.

Yep.

>>One big obstacle to getting more calories from the
>>environment is the fact that many plants are inedible.
>
>But many are fine foods. We have many books on "bush
>tucker" as we describe it here. A famous army major was
>commissioned by the army to map and document all the bush
>foods here for the use of soldiers needing to survive. Most
>fruits are edible and nutritious.
>
>>Grains, beans and potatoes are full of energy but all are
>>inedible in the raw state as they contain many toxins.
>
>Only some. There are cycad and pine seeds that are toxic
>but Aborigines have devised ways of making them edible.
>Many toxic foods have had ways found to detoxify them.
>
>>There is no doubt about that- please don’t try to eat
>>them raw, they can make you very sick. </quote>
>>
>>and the details: <quote> The essentials of the Paleolithic
>>Diet are:
>>
>>Eat none of the following: · Grains- including bread,
>>pasta, noodles
>
>Rubbish where do you think the idea of domesticating these
>wild grasses came from? There are millions of depressions
>in rocks in Australia where many thousands of years of
>humans have ground their grains.

Yes, but thousands of years is effectively modern in
this context. What you describe is apparently a result
of agriculture of sorts. What happened before they
thought of that?

Also, domesticated grain produces more seeds due to genetic
modification over the generations, and is now much more
worth harvesting than it was at the beginning. At the
beginning, presumably, it will have been not too far from
marginal. One important point here is to note that the
varieties that are domesticated are mutants that do not drop
their seeds when they are 'ripe' but which need to be
separated manually - such odd mutant individual plants would
have routinely died out, or maybe have been eaten directly
as lucky one-offs, in the pre-agricultural days. Dropped
seeds would be much more trouble to harvest (we certainly
don't bother with them today): they would be blown away,
mixed in with soil, and they would probably be sprouting, or
infested with fungi, or eaten on the ground by other
creatures, etc.

>>· Beans- including string beans, kidney beans, lentils,
>>peanuts, snow-peas and peas · Potatoes
>
>Huh? Potatoes where they grow, other root storage organs
>where they grew.

Yes, I don't see why not - unless the ones we see are
different in some way. Ah - the preparation they need to
make them safe to eat. We are talking about pre-
technological humans - *really* Palaeolithic people. No
cooking (although I imagine washing would be permitted,
since monkeys do it).

>>· Dairy products
>
>Many primitive tribes drink animals milk.

I wonder if they did that before they herded the animals. I
know some nomads follow wild herds these days. What about
150,000 years ago? I don't know.

>>· Sugar
>
>Palm sugar and honey and flower nectar have been known
>forever, and fruits of course.

In very small quantities, and very seasonal (in most parts
of the world). A few times a year only, I think would be
better than saying 'none' though.

>>· Salt
>
>Ocean water? Salt lakes?

Shrug.

>>Eat the following: · Meat, chicken and fish · Eggs ·
>>Fruit · Vegetables (especially root vegetables, but
>>definitely not including potatoes or sweet potatoes)
>
>Yams? Taro, sago?

Do they need processing much? Yams do, IIRC.

>>· Nuts, eg. walnuts, brazil nuts, macadamia, almond.
>>Do not eat peanuts (a bean) or cashews (a family of
>>their own)
>
>Some legumes can be eaten and others can be detoxified by
>soaking in water. Theres a huge Australian bean tree here.

Soaking. Too high-tech.

>>· Berries- strawberries, blueberries, raspberries etc.
>>
>> Try to increase your intake of: · Root vegetables-
>> carrots, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, Swedes · Organ
>> meats- liver and kidneys (I accept that many people find
>> these unpalatable and won’t eat them) </quote>
>
>Not if you are starving. Some of our Aboriginals ate clay.

Some people today eat their own faeces after the first pass.
Same reason.

>>>Same goes for many people eating a wide variey of
>>>wholefoods. There are many tricks to eating
>>>eucalorically. The main thing is to eat a balanced diet.
>>>

>>The trouble is, the definition of "balanced" may be
>>incorrect.
>
>The definition of "balanced" is "supplying all nutritional
>needs", well at least that's what the majority of educated
>English speaks use it as (dictionary)

Well, let's accept that.

>>One could come up with any combination of foods and
>>call it "balanced" and it seems that this may be what
>>has happened (OK, I'm exaggerating, but you get my
>>drift, I hope).
>
>Not sure. Yes, many combinations of foods can give you all
>your nutritional requirements. Best however to eat some of
>everything available.

I agree that greater diversity is likely to be healthier for
an omnivore like a human.

But "something of everything" leaves huge scope for
variation, and all of that variation space is not going to
be equally healthy, most likely. So why does the standard
model pick on one particular region? Is it *really* the
best? And, best for whom?

a) a normal, healthy human?
b) all normal, healthy humans?
c) a majority of humans?
d) some significant minorities of humans?
e) the food industry/manufacturers and growers?
f) politicians?
g) society as a whole?

Who suffers from it? Are there better combinations that are
'better' for different groups, or for more of the above?

>>A better, more neutral term, might be borrowed from
>>physics, "the standard model".
>
>Standard for whom? There are almost infinite "standard
>models diets".

I'm talking about "the balanced diet".

The word "balanced" looks to me to be a deliberately value-
laden adjective. It is a "good" word, no doubt chosen for
advertising purposes more than for its objectivity.
"Standard" is much more neutral, and "model" reminds us of
the real truth, which is that the diet is a theory and is
not The Truth.

The "balanced diet" model would be better renamed and
thought of as the "standard model" diet, IOW. Emotion-laden
names are inherently dishonest in what should be an academic
search for The Truth.

>>The idea of lots of carbs was first introduced, I
>>understand, during the second world war, to assist
>>governments in rationing food supplies. It was not based
>>on specific research. However, it seems to have stuck,
>>even though the evidence is that it is harming large
>>numbers of people, such as myself.
>
>Hang about, there are billions of people in the world who
>thrive on this diet and have done for thousands of years.
>(South-east/East/South Asia)

Thousands is modern. Think hundreds of thousands. Think no
technology beyond basic foraging, at least at first (the
longest period of time, since improvements appear to have
compounded exponentially over time). Evolution hasn't done
much to us in the last 10,000 years (it is thought).

>>>So you are assuming a hypercaloric diet in the first
>>>place? Why not start from a eucaloric diet?
>>>

>>Yes; that is normal in the West (60% of US citizens being
>>clinically obese).
>
>Of course, and our conversations always tend to gravitate
>towards this abnormal example. Just because the majority of
>internet connected folk are fat.....

Ah... but "normal" is not the same as "optimal". The
normal US citizen is apparently obese, if "normal" means
"mode", and possibly if it means "mean" too. And "median".
But optimal? Nope. OK I will assume you are thinking of
optimal humans.

Optimal for what? Heh. How do we decide? Life expectancy, I
suppose, multiplied by some quality of life factor maybe.

>>But of course we are talking at slightly cross-purposes
>>because you are concentrating on people with normal
>>metabolisms and optimal bodies, whereas I am more
>>concerned with the large numbers of people for whom such
>>advice fails (and it *is* given to them nevertheless).
>
>I agree with your aims, but yes, I'm trying to discuss
>basic principles of nutrition.

OK, accepting that, the agenda of successful low-carbers is
to try and undermine the idea that 45%-60% carbs is not
optimal, or at least, not necessary, and ideally, outright
incorrect.

And, given that people are often told that the reason for
eating them is to provide energy, which is patent
nonsense, who can blame them? Yes, they provide energy -
rapid energy - as do other foods (after assimilation).
Plenty of low-carbers experience plenty of rapid energy.
We don't find the streets full of sluggish low-carbers. On
the contrary, it is the fat high-carbers who seem the most
likely to be sluggish.

And nutrient value? Mostly available elsewhere, I would have
thought, but I am not advocating an extreme low-carb diet
anyway. I think the question is, why is it that it is
generally advocated that people obtain the *majority* of
their energy from carbs? It seems unnecessary.

Is it because *some* people have problems with "too much"
fat, so all are advised to avoid it; then *some* people have
problems with "too much" protein, so all are advised to
avoid that too; then all we are left with are the carbs? It
is certainly a model that saves thinking about the
individual too much, and in the mass-market 20th century
would have had great appeal to lazy nutritionists looking
for simple formulas to get them through their working days a
bit more easily.

>>>The same as the stuff you eat? What's the difference?
>>
>>AIUI, the difference is that the carbs get converted in
>>the bloodstream and the resulting lipids get deposited in
>>the arteries, etc. Fat that is eaten is broken down by the
>>liver and stored more appropriately.
>
>Not in my experience. It floats around in the blood stream
>for a considerable time. Eat a fatty meal and then get a
>sample of blood taken an hour or two later. That fatty
>layer is.....

<shrug> Dunno. I'm still trying to find out more - and it is
being researched a little more closely now, I imagine, in
the wake of Atkins and Co.

>>I would like to see some clarification on this point,
>>though. That is what I understand happens, but I may not
>>be totally correct.
>
>It seems to me that the evil bit of diet is excess. Excess
>energy is stored. Fatness leads to disease.

Yes. This is an area that can lead to endless confusion. An
advantage of the low-carb diet is that *some* people find it
easier. Possibly not the same *some* people that can work
with the standard model diet. ;-)

But saying *some* people find x better isn't saying much in
today's sensationalist, easy-option-seeking world, is it?

>>Not really. :) As I mentioned above, I believe that a lot
>>of people who are thought to be "normal" are greatly
>>challenged by the standard model diet.
>
>Only if that diet is not adhered to wrt being eucaloric,
>which every advice I've ever seen does.

Well, what I meant was, people who are thought to be
"normal" but who in fact are not, I suppose. Optimal people,
whatever that may mean without getting too picky, would find
it OK I'm sure.

> Dietary advice I've seen from health authorities is fine
> when adhered to. Trouble is many folk think that if a
> teaspoon is good for you, a bucketful will work miracles.

I don't trust authorities to be necessarily acting in my
best interests. They always seem to have their own agendas
somewhere. But I agree that most folk have no real training
in objective thinking and our media act as if they have no
incentive to help. Our education systems let most people
down when in fact it is obvious that we could do better (for
example, in Britain, 80% of upper-middle-class children go
to University and get a degree, whereas only 20% of the
lower classes do. That cannot be due to innate ability, so
the system must be failing the majority. To be fair, "the
system" probably has to include their parents and family
backgrounds, though).

>>>Normal folks perform much better on a diet of around 40
>>>to 60% calories from carbs.
>>>

>>I wonder if they do, really.
>
>Well that's what the vast majority of humans since time
>immemorial have thrived on.

You've seen the doubts about that with that
Palaeolithic stuff.

>>Presumably there must be evidence for this,
>
>History.
>
>>mustn't there? We know that many people *can* handle such
>>a diet, but what is the proof that it is optimal?
>
>Dietary needs of humans are quite flexible. Billions of
>people thriving for thousands of years on this diet being
>advised now is surely evidence that it is fine.

It is evidence that it is sufficient. But it might not be
optimal. And in fact, it could be that there are a number of
classes of diet that would be better suited to different
subgroups of humanity. Trying a one-size-fits-all solution
for so many people has to be asking for problems for some.

So, assuming that the standard model is the overall optimal
diet (since we can't prove by evidence-free discussion
anyway, I guess), the next step is to start finding those
other classes and subgroups. Japanese diet, low-carb, etc.
--
Martin Thompson [email protected] (use "martin" not
"bin") London, UK Home Page: http://www.tucana.demon.co.uk
Web Shop: http://buy.at/tucana Mobile Phone Ring Tones:
http://www.ringamoby.com

"Everything I do and say with anyone makes a difference."
Gita Bellin

> >>. Dairy products
> >
> >Many primitive tribes drink animals milk.
> >

> I wonder if they did that before they herded the animals.
> I know some nomads follow wild herds these days. What
> about 150,000 years ago? I don't know.

I think key word here is fermentation. It is impossible to
store milk for more then one day non-fermented.

And, by the way, fermentation reduces carbs in milk :)

Mirek