Typical TSS/Week

kaparzo

Apr 5, 2007
During the different types of loading periods (historically known as base, build, taper, and race) what do your TSS numbers look like from a weekly perspective? Maybe including your CTL at the start of the year and your goal for race day or pre-taper would help as well. I've been hitting 900-1000 in my build weeks with "rest periods" being more like 450-600 and think I've cooked it for a bit too long. Now that I'm bringing things back under control it be nice to know what people typically aim for.

Rather than setting a TSS goal for each loading period, I adjust my TSS goal weekly based upon current CTL to maintain a 5 CTL increase per wk on average. If the weather is unseasonably good I might far exceed my TSS goal, or if weather/work/life get in the way I might fall short one week (aka "rest period").

I wouldn't have reason to do a 1000 TSS week unless my CTL got up to at least 112 (which it never has).

kaparzo said:
During the different types of loading periods (historically known as base, build, taper, and race) what do your TSS numbers look like from a weekly perspective? Maybe including your CTL at the start of the year and your goal for race day or pre-taper would help as well. I've been hitting 900-1000 in my build weeks with "rest periods" being more like 450-600 and think I've cooked it for a bit too long. Now that I'm bringing things back under control it be nice to know what people typically aim for.

Two words: Performance Manager. ;)