Typical weight of a dual suspension bike

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by [email protected], Feb 14, 2007.

  1. I'm having a hard time comparing dual suspension bikes in the sub
    $1500 range. One of the key factors for me is weight, but many
    brouchers dont mention the weight.

    Whats the typical weight of a dually, and what would be too much.

    Tags:

  2. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    On Feb 15, 10:18 am, [email protected] wrote:
    > I'm having a hard time comparing dual suspension bikes in the sub
    > $1500 range. One of the key factors for me is weight, but many
    > brouchers dont mention the weight.

    At $1500, you'll be buying a brick. 15kg+, I'd guess, and it'll be a
    pogobike.
    What do you want the dualy for? XC? 'all mountain'? downhill? At
    that price, you're *much* better off with a hardtail.

  3. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    As said above, if you've got $1500 you're not going to get a proper dual suspension bike. I can't think of a reputable brand that actually sells any that cheap.

    Take http://www.vicmtb.com/store/07bikes/scott/reflexfx35.php for an example. 14.5kg, and it'll set you back $1800. For the same money you'll get a much lighter hardtail with better quality components - like http://www.vicmtb.com/store/07bikes/scott/scale50.php.

    Scott make duallies that come in under 10kg (http://www.scottusa.com/category.php?UID=645), but you can't even buy them in AU. If you could I would expect the price to be around $10 000.

  4. Bikesoiler

    Bikesoiler New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003

    As other have said, $1500 won't get you much dual suspention bike, or rather too much weight & too little quality.

    As posted above the Scott ReflexFX35 is ~$1800 & 14.5kg. It will cost an extra $800 to loose each Kg below that.

    I wouldn't be shopping for a MTB dualy with less than double your budget.

  5. petulance

    petulance Guest

    On Feb 15, 10:18 am, [email protected] wrote:
    > I'm having a hard time comparing dual suspension bikes in the sub
    > $1500 range. One of the key factors for me is weight, but many
    > brouchers dont mention the weight.
    >
    > Whats the typical weight of a dually, and what would be too much.

    It depends on what type of duallie you want to get (XC, All Mountain
    or Downhill).

    You won't find a decent duallie for less than $1500. The last time I
    looked, the entry level Giant Trance (2 or 3?) cost a bit more than
    $2k. You are better off getting a hardtail like the Giant XTC3 for
    that amount of money.

    FWIW, my first gen Specialized Epic weighs in at a porky 13.9 kilos.

  6. Fair points. But I'm not looking to compete in the next MTB world
    champs. I'm looking to get a replacement for my 10 year old hard-tail
    which finally wore out its welcome on the Andersons fire trail a few
    weeks back. That was only a $400 bike back then and the quality of
    parts have been high enough for my usage.

    I get the feeling that sub 15kg is a good aim for a dually ?

    Not sure what the weights are for these, but what are peoples opinions
    on:
    - Mongoose Wing Super ($1100)
    - Appollo Vanquish ($700)
    - Learsport (top model dually) ($700)

  7. thefathippy

    thefathippy Guest

    On Feb 15, 1:18 pm, "petulance" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Feb 15, 10:18 am, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > I'm having a hard time comparing dual suspension bikes in the sub
    > > $1500 range. One of the key factors for me is weight, but many
    > > brouchers dont mention the weight.

    > > Whats the typical weight of a dually, and what would be too much.

    > It depends on what type of duallie you want to get (XC, All Mountain
    > or Downhill).
    >
    > You won't find a decent duallie for less than $1500. The last time I
    > looked, the entry level Giant Trance (2 or 3?) cost a bit more than
    > $2k. You are better off getting a hardtail like the Giant XTC3 for
    > that amount of money.
    >
    > FWIW, my first gen Specialized Epic weighs in at a porky 13.9 kilos.

    Well, you could buy last year's model on run out, or second hand, but
    around $2k is where duallies start to become sweet. Downhill, freeride
    and all mountain will all weigh lots more than a duallie designed for
    XC, but they'll generally be stronger as well - as they need to be.
    You could have bought an 06 Kona Dawg fon special or $1649 from The
    Bike Barn (NSW)(sold out)

    Weights are more likely to be published on the manufacturer's web
    site.

    With my latest duallie, I chose to accept greater weight for greater
    strength - and have very few problems, unlike my old lightweight
    duallie. Gawd, I hate that weight going uphills, but at least I know
    it won't fall apart under my lack of finesse heading back down. ;^)
    It's a trade off - I could have spent lots more money and bought a
    strong, lighter duallie, or I could stay married...

    If you're worried about weight, $1500 will buy quite a decent
    hardtail, and it will weigh much less than most duallies.

    Tony F
    www.thefathippy.com

  8. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    On Feb 15, 1:56 pm, [email protected] wrote:
    > Fair points. But I'm not looking to compete in the next MTB world
    > champs. I'm looking to get a replacement for my 10 year old hard-tail
    > which finally wore out its welcome on the Andersons fire trail a few
    > weeks back. That was only a $400 bike back then and the quality of
    > parts have been high enough for my usage.
    >
    > I get the feeling that sub 15kg is a good aim for a dually ?

    It's about a lot more than weight, it's about how well the thing
    rides, how well you can pedal it etc - cheap dualies get called
    pogobikes for a reason and it's not a compliment.

    > Not sure what the weights are for these, but what are peoples opinions
    > on:
    > - Mongoose Wing Super ($1100)
    > - Appollo Vanquish ($700)
    > - Learsport (top model dually) ($700)

    Forget anyone's opinion, go ride them. If a bikeshop won't let you
    ride it, don't buy it. I can suggest though, for that sort of money,
    you will most likely be sorely disappointed by the ride you get, and
    you'll stick with a hardtail. But, don't take my word for it, go
    testriding, then you'll understand.

  9. just us

    just us Guest

    When I was shopping for my bike I got it in my head I wanted a really light
    one which would "race" up the hills. (wasnt looking for a MTB, but a
    Hybrid). Anyway, told one LBS that I was after a lighter bike and he looked
    at me and simply said "consider this - if you lost 5 kgs you wouldnt need a
    lighter bike!"
    What an insult - but true :)
    Kathy

  10. Friday

    Friday Guest

    just us wrote:
    > When I was shopping for my bike I got it in my head I wanted a really light
    > one which would "race" up the hills. (wasnt looking for a MTB, but a
    > Hybrid). Anyway, told one LBS that I was after a lighter bike and he looked
    > at me and simply said "consider this - if you lost 5 kgs you wouldnt need a
    > lighter bike!"
    > What an insult - but true :)
    > Kathy

    Agreed! The money would be better spent on Jenny Craig.

    Friday

  11. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    For an XC duallie, <12kg is a good aim. Under 13kg is alright, but I wouldn't ride anything heavier than that.

    Why is it that you want a squishy bike? With the budget you have, I strongly believe you will be happier riding a hardtail.

  12. petulance

    petulance Guest

    On Feb 15, 10:20 pm, SomeGuy <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > [email protected] Wrote:
    >
    > > I get the feeling that sub 15kg is a good aim for a dually ?

    > For an XC duallie, <12kg is a good aim. Under 13kg is alright, but I
    > wouldn't ride anything heavier than that.

    Hurrah! I can blame my bike for my slowness on the single track.

  13. petulance

    petulance Guest

    On Feb 15, 6:42 pm, "just us" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > When I was shopping for my bike I got it in my head I wanted a really light
    > one which would "race" up the hills. (wasnt looking for a MTB, but a
    > Hybrid). Anyway, told one LBS that I was after a lighter bike and he looked
    > at me and simply said "consider this - if you lost 5 kgs you wouldnt need a
    > lighter bike!"
    > What an insult - but true :)
    > Kathy

    Not all of us have the luxury of losing 5 kilos. We'll end up looking
    like walking skeletons ...

    And isn't there a power to weight trade off anyway ... there is only
    so much weight you can lose before it affects your ability to churn
    out those Watts.

  14. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    I guess that depends on how much extra weight you are carrying around with you ;). I get fed the lose weight line occasionally (I'm a bit of a weight weenie tragic), but given my BMI is smack bang in the middle of the normal range I'm not sure exactly where I'm supposed to go. Not to mention the BMI 'may overestimate body fat in athletes and others who have a muscular build'.

    So I concentrate on my bike instead :).

  15. Plodder

    Plodder Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Fair points. But I'm not looking to compete in the next MTB world
    > champs. I'm looking to get a replacement for my 10 year old hard-tail
    > which finally wore out its welcome on the Andersons fire trail a few
    > weeks back. That was only a $400 bike back then and the quality of
    > parts have been high enough for my usage.
    >
    > I get the feeling that sub 15kg is a good aim for a dually ?
    >
    > Not sure what the weights are for these, but what are peoples opinions
    > on:
    > - Mongoose Wing Super ($1100)
    > - Appollo Vanquish ($700)
    > - Learsport (top model dually) ($700)

    In my shop I've had the first two. I don't carry Learsport. My comments:
    Mongoose Wing Super - Nope. Pogo stick on two wheels, heavy and feels odd.
    Too hard to climb with and seems unstable going down.
    Apollo Vanquish - BIG nope! I've had two returns that have broken at the
    left rear dropout. Apollo has been fine with warranty but one bike (which
    I'll be returning to Apollo today, swapping it for a couple of kid's bikes)
    is the second broken by the same customer (so that's three returns all up).
    To be fair, the Apollo does have a sticker warning that it's not suitable
    for off-road use.

    Both these models came with the shop when I bought it in November (JET
    CYCLES KELMSCOTT - MENTION THIS NEWSGROUP TO GET A DISCOUNT!! - there's my
    plug! :p ) I won't be replacing them. I could have sold my stock several
    times but I've advised potential buyers not to consider these bikes if they
    want to go off-road. I prefer to sell them to someone who just wants a
    shopping bike or school bike and are clear on the limits of the bike.

    Really (and this is what I tell customers), if you're going to ride trails
    these bikes are capable of handling, you don't need a dual suspension.
    Trails that are technical enough to justify a dually will kill bikes at the
    level at which you're looking. Buy a semi-decent hardtail (Giant Thermo 1 is
    selling well for me, as is the Giant Talon). Stick a decent suspension
    seatpost on it if you need a bit of extra cush.

    My shop caters mainly to the mid-range/casual rider. I won't be carrying
    duallies once these things go. I'd rather have no duallies than bad ones. In
    my opinion (which was the same before I bought my shop), a shop which tells
    you (or agrees with you) that a dually of that level is good for riding
    trails lacks integrity. I'd shop elsewhere.

    If you're determined to buy a cheap dually, please buy it from someone who
    doesn't want to sell it to you. At least you're likely to get honest service
    when (not if) you break it.

    My 2c worth...

    me

  16. Plodder

    Plodder Guest

    "SomeGuy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > petulance Wrote:
    >> On Feb 15, 6:42 pm, "just us" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> > When I was shopping for my bike I got it in my head I wanted a really

    >> light
    >> > one which would "race" up the hills. (wasnt looking for a MTB, but a
    >> > Hybrid). Anyway, told one LBS that I was after a lighter bike and he

    >> looked
    >> > at me and simply said "consider this - if you lost 5 kgs you wouldnt

    >> need a
    >> > lighter bike!"
    >> > What an insult - but true :)
    >> > Kathy

    >> Not all of us have the luxury of losing 5 kilos. We'll end up looking
    >> like walking skeletons ...
    >>
    >> And isn't there a power to weight trade off anyway ... there is only
    >> so much weight you can lose before it affects your ability to churn
    >> out those Watts.

    > I guess that depends on how much extra weight you are carrying around
    > with you ;). I get fed the lose weight line occasionally (I'm a bit of
    > a weight weenie tragic), but given my BMI is smack bang in the middle
    > of the normal range I'm not sure exactly where I'm supposed to go. Not
    > to mention the BMI 'may overestimate body fat in athletes and others
    > who have a muscular build'.
    >
    > So I concentrate on my bike instead :).
    >

    > --
    > SomeGuy

    Som time ago it occurred to me that I need less belly or more gears. Since I
    have more money that willpower I bought the gears :p

    BTW - that's not to say I'm rich, just that I have so little willpower it
    doesn't take much money to overtake it :)

    me

  17. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    Sound advice. A much more sensible way to obtain the extra comfort level.

  18. kanangara

    kanangara New Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004

    Nope you've got that wrong. You need less gears & more beer.

    Parbs