Tyre advice

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by soup, Sep 19, 2004.

  1. soup

    soup Guest

    Have a cheapo off roader and the tryres on it are too
    'chunky' for the on road- canal tow path riding that I
    do mostly, was thinking of putting slicker tyres on .The
    two main contenders are "specialized cross road EX"
    at 26x1.95 or "schwalbe city jet "at 26x1.5.
    My rims are 26x 1.5 tyres on it at mo. are 26x1.95.
    So does anyone have positive/negative attitudes to
    these two tyres ?
    Both of these tyres are in the £25 region for two tyres
    + two tubes don't want to pay much more than this as
    I don't feel the bike. warrants it .
    --
    yours S

  2. davek

    davek Guest

    soup wrote:
    > My rims are 26x 1.5 tyres on it at mo. are 26x1.95.
    > So does anyone have positive/negative attitudes to
    > these two tyres ?

    Ahem. I recently started a thread with the specific intention of
    pre-empting this question, which I asked myself not so long ago.

    <url:http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=2r2umqF15gd4qU1%40uni-berlin.de&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522in%2Bpraise%2Bof%2Bschwalbe%2Bcity%2Bjets%2522%2Bgroup:uk.rec.cycling%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D2r2umqF15gd4qU1%2540uni-berlin.de%26rnum%3D1>
    (or <url:http://tinyurl.com/6l23k>)

    > Both of these tyres are in the £25 region for two tyres
    > + two tubes don't want to pay much more than this as
    > I don't feel the bike. warrants it .

    City Jets are well worth it (he says, based on two days use). I don't
    know the other.

    d.

  3. soup

    soup Guest

    davek popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said
    > soup wrote:
    > > My rims are 26x 1.5 tyres on it at mo. are 26x1.95.
    > > So does anyone have positive/negative attitudes to
    > > these two tyres ?

    > Ahem. I recently started a thread with the specific intention of
    > pre-empting this question, which I asked myself not so long ago.

    <url:http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=2r2umq
    F15gd4qU1%40uni-berlin.de&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522in%2Bpraise%2Bo
    f%2Bschwalbe%2Bcity%2Bjets%2522%2Bgroup:uk.rec.cycling%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D
    %26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D2r2umqF15gd4qU1%2540uni-berlin.de%26rnum%3D1>
    > (or <url:http://tinyurl.com/6l23k>)
    >
    > > Both of these tyres are in the £25 region for two tyres
    > > + two tubes don't want to pay much more than this as
    > > I don't feel the bike. warrants it .

    > City Jets are well worth it (he says, based on two days use). I don't
    > know the other.
    >
    > d.

    Thanks for that Dave now we (TINW) need someone to come
    along and say how good/crap the specialized tyres are then
    someone else to compare the two then I will be all the road.

    --
    yours S

  4. soup wrote:

    > Have a cheapo off roader and the tryres on it are too
    > 'chunky' for the on road- canal tow path riding that I
    > do mostly, was thinking of putting slicker tyres on

    You won't regret it. I was amazed at the difference it made for me - not
    only in peddaling effort and free-wheeling speed, but in the blessed
    silence. The roar of the knobblies would have driven me mad eventually.

    > .The two main contenders are "specialized cross road EX" at 26x1.95 or
    > "schwalbe city jet "at 26x1.5. My rims are 26x 1.5 tyres on it at
    > mo. are 26x1.95. So does anyone have positive/negative attitudes to
    > these two tyres ?

    I've been using the City Jets for a while now. To be honest, I wouldn't
    know a good tyre if it exploded in my face, but I'm very happy with
    them. No punctures, no visible wear, good road holding, no road
    noise. A bargain at 25 for the two and the tubes, I thought.

    "We've got a criminal practice that takes up most of our time."

  5. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 19/9/04 11:53 am, in article [email protected],
    "soup" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Have a cheapo off roader and the tryres on it are too
    > 'chunky' for the on road- canal tow path riding that I
    > do mostly, was thinking of putting slicker tyres on .The
    > two main contenders are "specialized cross road EX"
    > at 26x1.95 or "schwalbe city jet "at 26x1.5.
    > My rims are 26x 1.5 tyres on it at mo. are 26x1.95.
    > So does anyone have positive/negative attitudes to
    > these two tyres ?
    > Both of these tyres are in the £25 region for two tyres
    > + two tubes don't want to pay much more than this as
    > I don't feel the bike. warrants it .

    Two things:
    1. the city jet are excellent, no experience with the other. See the other
    thread on the city jets.

    2. Good tyres will make a good bike really good and will make a poor bike
    better (unless the wheels are already loose and horrible). They will also
    last longer and, if they are still going, can be transferred to the new bike
    you are going to get.

    cheap tyres suck, wear out quickly and are poor value for money. Having said
    that, the 25-35 GBP range for tyre and tubes is where you will get the best
    value for money. And do pump them up properly, use a track pump with a
    pressure gauge.

    ...d

  6. On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 10:53:13 GMT, "soup"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Have a cheapo off roader and the tryres on it are too
    >'chunky' for the on road- canal tow path riding that I
    >do mostly, was thinking of putting slicker tyres on .The
    >two main contenders are "specialized cross road EX"
    >at 26x1.95 or "schwalbe city jet "at 26x1.5.
    > My rims are 26x 1.5 tyres on it at mo. are 26x1.95.
    > So does anyone have positive/negative attitudes to
    >these two tyres ?
    > Both of these tyres are in the £25 region for two tyres
    >+ two tubes don't want to pay much more than this as
    >I don't feel the bike. warrants it .

    I've tried 3 different slick tyres in recent times. The Schwalbe City
    Jets, some impac tyres off ebay and some DSI cheapies from Trago Mills
    for £2.35 each. The DSI cheapies are the worst although still fully
    usable and road worthy (no idea of long term wear though). The
    Schwalbe City Jets I got one of them was slightly mis-shaped so I had
    to bend it about to get it to sit well in the rim. This was possibly
    due to its stronger construction meaning once bent (in the post
    possibly) its more likely to hold that shape. My favourite though is
    the Impac tyres. They seem very nice both to ride and actual
    construction. Again long term wear is unknown (by me at least) but
    they seem superb for the money.

    Where I got mine has a current ebay auction at the moment;

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16143&item=7102146854&rd=1

    However I wouldn't bother with the auction but instead contact him
    directly on his email address and see what sort of deal you can do
    with him. I'm not connected to him in anyway but just consider the
    tyres a very good price. Check out the feedback he has received. I
    also bought some inner tubes off him and these are excellent too and
    very heavy duty construction wise. Certainly impac tyres seem very
    high quality where ever you get them from. Impac and Schwalbe are
    actually the same company and made in the same factory just Impac is
    the more low key economy type brand and Schwalbe is the premium
    branded product. They are both products of bohle group of germany
    although manufacturing is done in china to bohle's own designs. Trax
    is another of their brands.

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    soup wrote:
    > Have a cheapo off roader and the tryres on it are too
    > 'chunky' for the on road- canal tow path riding that I
    > do mostly, was thinking of putting slicker tyres on .The
    > two main contenders are "specialized cross road EX"
    > at 26x1.95 or "schwalbe city jet "at 26x1.5.
    > My rims are 26x 1.5 tyres on it at mo. are 26x1.95.

    Anyone got any thoughts on whether City Jets are ok on 1.5 rims? (I've
    only used them on narrower rims). Wider rims tend to make any seating
    problems worse.

    ~PB