Tyre advice

soup

Guest
Have a cheapo off roader and the tryres on it are too
'chunky' for the on road- canal tow path riding that I
do mostly, was thinking of putting slicker tyres on .The
two main contenders are "specialized cross road EX"
at 26x1.95 or "schwalbe city jet "at 26x1.5.
My rims are 26x 1.5 tyres on it at mo. are 26x1.95.
So does anyone have positive/negative attitudes to
these two tyres ?
Both of these tyres are in the £25 region for two tyres
+ two tubes don't want to pay much more than this as
I don't feel the bike. warrants it .
--
yours S

soup wrote:
> My rims are 26x 1.5 tyres on it at mo. are 26x1.95.
> So does anyone have positive/negative attitudes to
> these two tyres ?

Ahem. I recently started a thread with the specific intention of
pre-empting this question, which I asked myself not so long ago.

<url:http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=2r2umqF15gd4qU1%40uni-berlin.de&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522in%2Bpraise%2Bof%2Bschwalbe%2Bcity%2Bjets%2522%2Bgroup:uk.rec.cycling%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D2r2umqF15gd4qU1%2540uni-berlin.de%26rnum%3D1>
(or <url:http://tinyurl.com/6l23k>)

> Both of these tyres are in the £25 region for two tyres
> + two tubes don't want to pay much more than this as
> I don't feel the bike. warrants it .

City Jets are well worth it (he says, based on two days use). I don't
know the other.

d.

davek popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said
> soup wrote:
> > My rims are 26x 1.5 tyres on it at mo. are 26x1.95.
> > So does anyone have positive/negative attitudes to
> > these two tyres ?

> Ahem. I recently started a thread with the specific intention of
> pre-empting this question, which I asked myself not so long ago.

<url:http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=2r2umq
F15gd4qU1%40uni-berlin.de&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522in%2Bpraise%2Bo
f%2Bschwalbe%2Bcity%2Bjets%2522%2Bgroup:uk.rec.cycling%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D
%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D2r2umqF15gd4qU1%2540uni-berlin.de%26rnum%3D1>
> (or <url:http://tinyurl.com/6l23k>)
>
> > Both of these tyres are in the £25 region for two tyres
> > + two tubes don't want to pay much more than this as
> > I don't feel the bike. warrants it .

> City Jets are well worth it (he says, based on two days use). I don't
> know the other.
>
> d.

Thanks for that Dave now we (TINW) need someone to come
along and say how good/**** the specialized tyres are then
someone else to compare the two then I will be all the road.

--
yours S

soup wrote:

> Have a cheapo off roader and the tryres on it are too
> 'chunky' for the on road- canal tow path riding that I
> do mostly, was thinking of putting slicker tyres on

You won't regret it. I was amazed at the difference it made for me - not
only in peddaling effort and free-wheeling speed, but in the blessed
silence. The roar of the knobblies would have driven me mad eventually.

> .The two main contenders are "specialized cross road EX" at 26x1.95 or
> "schwalbe city jet "at 26x1.5. My rims are 26x 1.5 tyres on it at
> mo. are 26x1.95. So does anyone have positive/negative attitudes to
> these two tyres ?

I've been using the City Jets for a while now. To be honest, I wouldn't
know a good tyre if it exploded in my face, but I'm very happy with
them. No punctures, no visible wear, good road holding, no road
noise. A bargain at 25 for the two and the tubes, I thought.

"We've got a criminal practice that takes up most of our time."

On 19/9/04 11:53 am, in article [email protected],
"soup" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Have a cheapo off roader and the tryres on it are too
> 'chunky' for the on road- canal tow path riding that I
> do mostly, was thinking of putting slicker tyres on .The
> two main contenders are "specialized cross road EX"
> at 26x1.95 or "schwalbe city jet "at 26x1.5.
> My rims are 26x 1.5 tyres on it at mo. are 26x1.95.
> So does anyone have positive/negative attitudes to
> these two tyres ?
> Both of these tyres are in the £25 region for two tyres
> + two tubes don't want to pay much more than this as
> I don't feel the bike. warrants it .

Two things:
1. the city jet are excellent, no experience with the other. See the other
thread on the city jets.

2. Good tyres will make a good bike really good and will make a poor bike
better (unless the wheels are already loose and horrible). They will also
last longer and, if they are still going, can be transferred to the new bike
you are going to get.

cheap tyres suck, wear out quickly and are poor value for money. Having said
that, the 25-35 GBP range for tyre and tubes is where you will get the best
value for money. And do pump them up properly, use a track pump with a
pressure gauge.

...d

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 10:53:13 GMT, "soup"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Have a cheapo off roader and the tryres on it are too
>'chunky' for the on road- canal tow path riding that I
>do mostly, was thinking of putting slicker tyres on .The
>two main contenders are "specialized cross road EX"
>at 26x1.95 or "schwalbe city jet "at 26x1.5.
> My rims are 26x 1.5 tyres on it at mo. are 26x1.95.
> So does anyone have positive/negative attitudes to
>these two tyres ?
> Both of these tyres are in the £25 region for two tyres
>+ two tubes don't want to pay much more than this as
>I don't feel the bike. warrants it .

I've tried 3 different slick tyres in recent times. The Schwalbe City
Jets, some impac tyres off ebay and some DSI cheapies from Trago Mills
for £2.35 each. The DSI cheapies are the worst although still fully
usable and road worthy (no idea of long term wear though). The
Schwalbe City Jets I got one of them was slightly mis-shaped so I had
to bend it about to get it to sit well in the rim. This was possibly
due to its stronger construction meaning once bent (in the post
possibly) its more likely to hold that shape. My favourite though is
the Impac tyres. They seem very nice both to ride and actual
construction. Again long term wear is unknown (by me at least) but
they seem superb for the money.

Where I got mine has a current ebay auction at the moment;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16143&item=7102146854&rd=1

However I wouldn't bother with the auction but instead contact him
directly on his email address and see what sort of deal you can do
with him. I'm not connected to him in anyway but just consider the
tyres a very good price. Check out the feedback he has received. I
also bought some inner tubes off him and these are excellent too and
very heavy duty construction wise. Certainly impac tyres seem very
high quality where ever you get them from. Impac and Schwalbe are
actually the same company and made in the same factory just Impac is
the more low key economy type brand and Schwalbe is the premium
branded product. They are both products of bohle group of germany
although manufacturing is done in china to bohle's own designs. Trax
is another of their brands.

soup wrote:
> Have a cheapo off roader and the tryres on it are too
> 'chunky' for the on road- canal tow path riding that I
> do mostly, was thinking of putting slicker tyres on .The
> two main contenders are "specialized cross road EX"
> at 26x1.95 or "schwalbe city jet "at 26x1.5.
> My rims are 26x 1.5 tyres on it at mo. are 26x1.95.

Anyone got any thoughts on whether City Jets are ok on 1.5 rims? (I've
only used them on narrower rims). Wider rims tend to make any seating
problems worse.

~PB