Tyre dimensions - question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Russ, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. Russ

    Russ Guest

    Can someone help me out please on tyre dimensions. What does 700c mean?

    Easy question...but thanks all the same

    --
    Russell

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 17:04:38 +0000 (UTC), "Russ" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Can someone help me out please on tyre dimensions. What does 700c mean?

    Not an easy question at all!

    700c is a notional 700mm outside diameter with a 1 1/4" wide tyre, but get the full George from the
    usual source (Guru Sheldon): <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html>

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  3. Pattledom

    Pattledom Guest

    Russ wrote:
    > Can someone help me out please on tyre dimensions. What does 700c mean?
    >
    > Easy question...

    ...but not such an easy answer. It's a long story, but it means that the rim diameter is the same as
    for the old imperial measurement 28" x 1-3/4" tyre. When the French designated their own tyre sizes,
    they used a nominal conversoion rate of 25mm = 1 inch. So the 700 means 700 pseudo-milimetres and
    isn't a real measurement at all.

    There's a much longer explanation at http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/arc0307.htm but
    beware, thinking too much about tyre sizes can make your brain explode.

    > but thanks all the same

    's OK

    --
    Andrew Pattle

  4. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 19:24:05 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >but get the full George from the usual source

    Not heard that one before. What does it mean, from whence does it come?

    Tim

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Tim Hall wrote:

    >> get the full George from the usual source

    > Not heard that one before. What does it mean, from whence does it come?

    No idea - I suspect it is an archaic RAF thing, as my Dad used to say it. He was stationed at
    Scampton when they still had Lancasters.

    --
    Guy
    ===