Tyre dimensions - question

Russ

Guest
Can someone help me out please on tyre dimensions. What does 700c mean?

Easy question...but thanks all the same

--
Russell

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 17:04:38 +0000 (UTC), "Russ" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Can someone help me out please on tyre dimensions. What does 700c mean?

Not an easy question at all!

700c is a notional 700mm outside diameter with a 1 1/4" wide tyre, but get the full George from the
usual source (Guru Sheldon): <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html>

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Russ wrote:
> Can someone help me out please on tyre dimensions. What does 700c mean?
>
> Easy question...

...but not such an easy answer. It's a long story, but it means that the rim diameter is the same as
for the old imperial measurement 28" x 1-3/4" tyre. When the French designated their own tyre sizes,
they used a nominal conversoion rate of 25mm = 1 inch. So the 700 means 700 pseudo-milimetres and
isn't a real measurement at all.

There's a much longer explanation at http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/arc0307.htm but
beware, thinking too much about tyre sizes can make your brain explode.

> but thanks all the same

's OK

--
Andrew Pattle

On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 19:24:05 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>but get the full George from the usual source

Not heard that one before. What does it mean, from whence does it come?

Tim

Tim Hall wrote:

>> get the full George from the usual source

> Not heard that one before. What does it mean, from whence does it come?

No idea - I suspect it is an archaic RAF thing, as my Dad used to say it. He was stationed at
Scampton when they still had Lancasters.

--
Guy
===