Tyre direction, Help

Jesper

Guest
Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.

Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the bike.

I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction. This is where you can
help me :cool:

See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/

Is the direction correct? or am I right

Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?

Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark

jesper <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
>
> Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the bike.
>
> I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction. This is where you can
> help me :cool:
>
> See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
>
> Is the direction correct? or am I right
>
> Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
>
> Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark

In theory, the tire direction is supposed to maximize traction based on the orientation of the
tread. In practice, it depends quite a bit on you, your bike, and the terrain you are riding on.
It's highly unlikely any damage was done.

If it really bothers you, it's an easy thing to fix. For the front, just remove the wheel, turn it
around, and re-install. The back tire would have to be removed and remounted, as the wheel itself is
not reversible due to the cassette on the right side.

Here's a few sites that might help if you want to try it yourself:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQtires.shtml http://members.aol.com/biketune/remwheel.htm

Bottom line: no big deal, but easily fixable if you so choose.

Good luck,

Tom

"jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
>
> Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the
bike.

> I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction.
This
> is where you can help me :cool:
>
> See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
>
> Is the direction correct? or am I right
>
> Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
>
> Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark

Jesper, The tires should be reversed and it has not damaged them.

DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

jesper wrote:
> Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
>
> Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the bike.
>
> I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction. This is where you can
> help me :cool:
>
> See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
>
> Is the direction correct? or am I right
>
> Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?

Front one is definitely correct; rear one MIGHT be backwards, although it's kind of hard to
tell from pic.

My advice: leave it alone and swap directions next time you get a flat. (And no, it won't damage the
tire at all.)

Bill "amazing how many bikes sold with incorrect tire directions" S.

"tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> jesper <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
> >
> > Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the bike.
> >
> > I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction. This is where you can
> > help me :cool:
> >
> > See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
> >
> > Is the direction correct? or am I right
> >
> > Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
> >
> > Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark
>
> In theory, the tire direction is supposed to maximize traction based on
the
> orientation of the tread. In practice, it depends quite a bit on you,
your
> bike, and the terrain you are riding on. It's highly unlikely any damage was done.
>
> If it really bothers you, it's an easy thing to fix. For the front, just remove the wheel, turn it
> around, and re-install. The back tire would
have
> to be removed and remounted, as the wheel itself is not reversible due to the cassette on the
> right side.
>
> Here's a few sites that might help if you want to try it yourself:
> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQtires.shtml http://members.aol.com/biketune/remwheel.htm
>
> Bottom line: no big deal, but easily fixable if you so choose.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Tom

I don't see any braking marks on the rim. Don't turn your front disk wheel around!

--

D T W .../\... <[email protected]> wrote:
> "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:YcRQb.8754$_H5.1884@lakeread06...
>> jesper <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
>>>
>>> Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the bike.
>>>
>>> I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction. This is where you can
>>> help me :cool:
>>>
>>> See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
>>>
>>> Is the direction correct? or am I right
>>>
>>> Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark
>>
>> In theory, the tire direction is supposed to maximize traction based on the orientation of the
>> tread. In practice, it depends quite a bit on you, your bike, and the terrain you are riding on.
>> It's highly unlikely any damage was done.
>>
>> If it really bothers you, it's an easy thing to fix. For the front, just remove the wheel, turn
>> it around, and re-install. The back tire would have to be removed and remounted, as the wheel
>> itself is not reversible due to the cassette on the right side.
>>
>> Here's a few sites that might help if you want to try it yourself:
>> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQtires.shtml http://members.aol.com/biketune/remwheel.htm
>>
>> Bottom line: no big deal, but easily fixable if you so choose.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Tom
>

> I don't see any braking marks on the rim. Don't turn your front disk wheel around!

Okay, good call there.

Tom

Ooops. Don't see my reply yet, but I didn't see front tire markings correctly. (Still, looks like
type of tread that doesn't matter much.)

Bill "would still wait till you flat (or notice poor traction)" S.

Thanks for your reply.

I will change the directions of both tyres and see if there are any changes, to the traction
and stuff.

At least I now know that they where not correctly fittet to the wheels. :cool:

Thansk and happy MTBing. Jesper, Denmark

"jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
>
> Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the
bike.

> I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction.
This
> is where you can help me :cool:
>
> See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
>
> Is the direction correct? or am I right
>
> Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
>
> Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark

"jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I will change the directions of both tyres and see if there are any
changes,
> to the traction and stuff.
>
> At least I now know that they where not correctly fittet to the wheels.
:cool:

> Thansk and happy MTBing. Jesper, Denmark

Inquiring minds want to know Jesper. is it a disk brake bike?

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

"jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
>
> Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the
bike.

> I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction.
This
> is where you can help me :cool:
>
> See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
>
> Is the direction correct? or am I right
>
> Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?

They'd never be damaged and in the case of these Contis I wouldn't worry about the direction. Some
tires like old Darts you would notice a huge difference in traction if you had them backwards.

Greg

inquiring minds also want to know.... what brand/model tires are those.. they look like a nice
grippy Nokian style tread...

dave

"jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
>
> Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the
bike.

> I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction.
This
> is where you can help me :cool:
>
> See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
>
> Is the direction correct? or am I right
>
> Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
>
> Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark

"Dave Adnum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> inquiring minds also want to know.... what brand/model tires are those.. they look like a nice
> grippy Nokian style tread...

I guess top-posters don't know how to read, either.

Greg

> "jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
> >
> > Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the
> bike.
> >
> > I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction.
> This
> > is where you can help me :cool:
> >
> > See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
> >
> > Is the direction correct? or am I right
> >
> > Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
> >
> > Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark

"D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Thanks for your reply.
> >
> > I will change the directions of both tyres and see if there are any
> changes,
> > to the traction and stuff.
> >
> > At least I now know that they where not correctly fittet to the wheels.
> :cool:
> >
> > Thansk and happy MTBing. Jesper, Denmark
>

> Inquiring minds want to know Jesper. is it a disk brake bike?
>
> --
> DTW .../\.../\.../\...
>
> I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

yes it is a Disc brake bike, A Giant XTC 4

\Jesper

Hi Dave

The tyres are Continental EXPLORER, http://www.conti-
tyres.co.uk/conticycle/mountain/mountain_default.htm click the "explorer" link in the top bar.

\Jesper

"Dave Adnum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> inquiring minds also want to know.... what brand/model tires are those.. they look like a nice
> grippy Nokian style tread...
>
> dave
>

> "jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
> >
> > Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the
> bike.
> >
> > I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction.
> This
> > is where you can help me :cool:
> >
> > See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
> >
> > Is the direction correct? or am I right
> >
> > Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
> >
> > Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark

feck aff... i wish people would quit being asses and simply answer innocent questions.

> "Dave Adnum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > inquiring minds also want to know.... what brand/model tires are those.. they look like a nice
> > grippy Nokian style tread...
> >

> I guess top-posters don't know how to read, either.
>
> Greg
>

> > "jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
> > >
> > > Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the
> > bike.
> > >
> > > I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction.
> > This
> > > is where you can help me :cool:
> > >
> > > See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
> > >
> > > Is the direction correct? or am I right
> > >
> > > Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark

thanks jesper

dave

Dave Adnum wrote:
> feck aff... i wish people would quit being asses and simply answer innocent questions.

feck aff... i wish people would quit being asses and simply read what was provided to them.

Greg