Tyre failure example (with an aside on tyre liners)

Andrew Webster

Guest
I had a substantial tyre failure today - see pictures. Ended up with a large bit of tread missing
and a gash right through the cords.

see pictures at:

http://www.webstersabingdon.plus.com/tyres/

I ended up with a large egg in the tyre with a distinct lump on each rotation.

The point of this is that I was only saved from a blowout by the Mr Tuffy tyre liner inside acting
as a tyre boot. This is a benefit of tyre liners beyond the prevention of punctures from "just
penetrating" objects that is sometimes missed.

Another side benefit is that any punctures (the only other one in this tyre in over 3000 miles was
caused by a large nail that no reasonable precautions could prevent) tend to self-seal to some
extent, leaving you with a slow puncture that can be sorted when convenient.

Does anyone have any other evidence to support these comments?

My final point is a comment on the threads about tyre longevity. I rarely wear down tyres, much more
usual is this sort of sudden failure
- as you can see this tyre still had plenty of tread left after 3300 miles. So my answer to those
who ask "how long can I expect my tyres to last?" is "until you run over something that shreds
them". Does anyone else subscribe to this view.

Don't know what caused this puncture(dark & wet - I didn't see what did it), but I'm certainly glad
to have been saved from a long walk (I carry spare tube, but not tyre). One up to tyre liners on
this occasion.

Andrew Webster

On 3 Dec 2003 12:42:15 -0800, [email protected] (Andrew Webster) wrote:
>I had a substantial tyre failure today - see pictures. Ended up with a large bit of tread missing
>and a gash right through the cords. http://www.webstersabingdon.plus.com/tyres/

That's not a tire! That's an alien! Shoot it! Isn't it obvious from it's guts that it's an alien,
come to invade the planet and cook all the humans? Look at all the gooey, stringy **** with oddly
colored bits randomly mixed in. Don't you know alien physiology when you see it?

>I ended up with a large egg in the tyre with a distinct lump on each rotation.

See? Tires don't reproduce with eggs, aliens do!

>Does anyone have any other evidence to support these comments?

Your pictures are evidence enough. Shoot it before it calls for reinforcements, already!

>My final point is a comment on the threads about tyre longevity. I rarely wear down tyres, much
>more usual is this sort of sudden failure
>- as you can see this tyre still had plenty of tread left after 3300 miles. So my answer to those
> who ask "how long can I expect my tyres to last?" is "until you run over something that shreds
> them". Does anyone else subscribe to this view.

You're obviously wrong. The correct answer is "until a tire-shaped alien takes it's place and
gets injured".

>Don't know what caused this puncture(dark & wet - I didn't see what did it), but I'm certainly glad
>to have been saved from a long walk (I carry spare tube, but not tyre). One up to tyre liners on
>this occasion.

It's obviously caused by the alien underestimating your riding. He probably thought that you were
like the more commonly visible riders, and your rides are limited to two or three times per year for
a couple miles on the clean paved bike path.

You better hope he doesn't contact any Vogons... Oh freddled gruntbuggly thy micturations are to me
As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee. Groop I implore thee my foonting turlingdromes. And
hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles, Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my
blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!

--
Zaphod Beeblebrox

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 17:43:12 +0000, Rick Onanian wrote:

> On 3 Dec 2003 12:42:15 -0800, [email protected] (Andrew Webster) wrote:
>>I had a substantial tyre failure today - see pictures. Ended up with a large bit of tread missing
>>and a gash right through the cords. http://www.webstersabingdon.plus.com/tyres/
>
> That's not a tire! That's an alien! Shoot it! Isn't it obvious from it's guts that it's an alien,
> come to invade the planet and cook all the humans? Look at all the gooey, stringy **** with oddly
> colored bits randomly mixed in. Don't you know alien physiology when you see it?

I thought I saw a hand and arm in there.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. -- _`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
(_)/ (_) |

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You better hope he doesn't contact any Vogons... Oh freddled gruntbuggly thy micturations are to
> me As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee. Groop I implore thee my foonting turlingdromes.
> And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles, Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with
> my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!

Another g. daniels tribute?

--Josh (removing exhausted Babel fish from ear and placing in satchel)

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You better hope he doesn't contact any Vogons... Oh freddled gruntbuggly thy micturations are to
> me As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee. Groop I implore thee my foonting turlingdromes.
> And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles, Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with
> my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!

Smoke comin' out of your spell-checker, Rick?

Bill "pic needs a little yellow-greenish slime for full effect" S.

Andrew Webster writes:

> I had a substantial tyre failure today - see pictures. Ended up with a large bit of tread missing
> and a gash right through the cords.

> see pictures at:

> http://www.webstersabingdon.plus.com/tyres/

> I ended up with a large egg in the tyre with a distinct lump on each rotation.

> The point of this is that I was only saved from a blowout by the Mr Tuffy tyre liner inside acting
> as a tyre boot. This is a benefit of tyre liners beyond the prevention of punctures from "just
> penetrating" objects that is sometimes missed.

Just the same, the rubber was cut and that indicates a sharp object, whether that was a chipped rock
or a piece of metal/glass. If the rubber were not broken, then it would indicate a poor tire casing.

The ess bend in the casing occurs because only one ply remained in tact and being at 45 degrees, the
other axis stretches and causes a bulge. Notice that the blue tire is cracking from aging that
colored tires do better than carbon black ones.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

Thanks for the comments chaps - sorry about the double posting, but the first effort reported an
error (honest), must be those pesky aliens you talked about.

Andrew Webster

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 20:16:27 GMT, [email protected] may have said:

>Notice that the blue tire is cracking from aging that colored tires do better than carbon
>black ones.

The next time I acquire a suitable example, I'll take a few photos of gumwall tires on older bikes
where the black tread is intact but the unpigmented sidewalls have completely deteriorated. I
usually see this on bikes in thrift stores at least once per month. Bl;ack is the appropriate color
for a tire for a good reason, as you allude above.

don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy. Words processed in a facility that
contains nuts.

Werehatrack Rault writes:

>> Notice that the blue tire is cracking from aging that colored tires do better than carbon
>> black ones.

> The next time I acquire a suitable example, I'll take a few photos of gumwall tires on older bikes
> where the black tread is intact but the unpigmented sidewalls have completely deteriorated. I
> usually see this on bikes in thrift stores at least once per month. Black is the appropriate color
> for a tire for a good reason, as you allude above.

Latex rubber, unfilled or blended is worse than blue coloring against the weathering. I think you
probably know that from reading endless defenses of tubulars and aging of such tires for better
performance.

See the FAQ on that at:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/index.html

under the heading: 8b Tech Tires

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 18:23:41 -0800, "Josh Gatts"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> You better hope he doesn't contact any Vogons... Oh freddled gruntbuggly thy micturations
>> are to me
>
>Another g. daniels tribute? --Josh (removing exhausted Babel fish from ear and placing in satchel)

From your sig, I expect that you would have recognized that poetry, unless your Babel fish reference
is to babelfish.altavista.com...
--
Rick Onanian

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 18:23:41 -0800, "Josh Gatts" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> You better hope he doesn't contact any Vogons... Oh freddled gruntbuggly thy micturations
>>> are to me
>>
>> Another g. daniels tribute? --Josh (removing exhausted Babel fish from ear and placing in
>> satchel)
>
> From your sig, I expect that you would have recognized that poetry, unless your Babel fish
> reference is to babelfish.altavista.com...

Yes, I know Vogon poetry when I see it.

Does anyone make an Infinite Improbability Drive unit compact enough for my bike? I'd power it with
a hub generator and a water bottle full of hot tea.

--Josh

Greg Hall writes:

>> See the FAQ on that at:

>> http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/index.html

>> under the heading: 8b Tech Tires

> Thanks for the link Jobst.

> An 8b.18 excerpt: 'tubular tires bought in advance should be sealed tightly in airtight bags and
> kept in the dark, optimally in a freezer.'

> Got a chuckle out of that one when I thought about what the Mrs would have to say about it.

I keep my stash of gum brake lever hoods and REMA 100cnt patch boxes in my freezer. I don't mind
giving up a corner of the freezer.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 01:22:51 -0800, "Josh Gatts"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Does anyone make an Infinite Improbability Drive unit compact enough for my bike? I'd power it with
>a hub generator and a water bottle full of hot tea.

You can't get hot tea on an Infinite Improbability Driven vehicle!

The closest you can get is a drink that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

--
Rick Onanian

[email protected] wrote:
: I keep my stash of gum brake lever hoods and REMA 100cnt patch boxes in my freezer. I don't mind
: giving up a corner of the freezer.

late night snacking (or egads, the post-"frisbee" munchies) are always an adventure at the brandt
residence.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

I also read 8b.18, the last paragraph: "For best results, use new tires because aged tires are only
as good as how little they have aged."

My question doesn't apply to tires, but Rema patches. I had some Rema patches that have been laying
around for about 10 years. They were still in the original green box. I tried to use them with a new
tube of glue, but couldn't get them to adhere, they peeled up. I bought some new Rema patches, used
the same glue and they work fine. Can patches go bad? btw, I don't freeze my Rema patches. -tom

Tom Nakashima writes:

>>> Thanks for the link Jobst.

>>> An 8b.18 excerpt: 'tubular tires bought in advance should be sealed tightly in airtight bags and
>>> kept in the dark, optimally in a freezer.'

>>> Got a chuckle out of that one when I thought about what the Mrs would have to say about it.

>> I keep my stash of gum brake lever hoods and REMA 100cnt patch boxes in my freezer. I don't mind
>> giving up a corner of the freezer.

> I also read 8b.18, the last paragraph: "For best results, use new tires because aged tires are
> only as good as how little they have aged."

> My question doesn't apply to tires, but Rema patches. I had some Rema patches that have been
> laying around for about 10 years. They were still in the original green box. I tried to use them
> with a new tube of glue, but couldn't get them to adhere, they peeled up. I bought some new Rema
> patches, used the same glue and they work fine. Can patches go bad?

Of course the can. That is why they are packaged with metal foil to protect the active surface from
evaporating and oxidizing. With time, the active area, the reddish rubber, diffuses its life out the
back of the patch that is not protected by much more than a micro layer of cellophane.

> btw, I don't freeze my Rema patches.

Neither would I, but two boxed of 100 patches is a bit much to let spoil over years that they would
wait before getting their turn. These were given to me by a generous sort whom I had helped with
tires and wheels. It was a nice gesture. I'm just starting on the first box now after a couple of
years on ice. I already had a 100 box of patches when they were given to me.

On the other hand I'm sure these patches were not "laying" (eggs) but were lying there in a similar
manner to most other inanimate objects.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]