Tyre/Griptape Advice

Geoff Cox

Mar 1, 2012
I have a 2010 Giant TCR 1, it's a very limited run that was released for the Tour Down Under for that year, and I am now making the leap to triathlons using this as a starter bike.
Now I am in need of new griptape and also could do with some new tyres since I have not replaced them in their 3000km life so far. Would love some advice on what people would recommend...budget is negotioable
Cheers
Geoff

what do you mean by griptape ? it it is the Bar tape, on the handlebars, there are many choices for you to decide, i go mainly with the one with cork for cushioning, generally black but sometimes i choose to add some colours to my bike, it is something you change more or less often. As for tyres Continental is always a fair choice since they have good tyres all over their catalogue, at all prices,

I use Fizik bar tape. It runs around 12 dollars at my LBS. I have also had fairly good luck using Nashbar brand tape for around 7 dollars.
What tires are currently on your bike? Did you have good luck with them in regards to flats during the past year? What did you like or dislike the most about them?
The reason why I am asking is you have some history of how your tires performed and if you are satisfied why not purchase the same tires you already use.

I'm digging Lizard Skin's DSP tape. It's nice and grippy and is über easy to wrap. As for tires, what tires do you have now? Davereo pretty much nailed it: if the tires you have now were fine, why change?