Tyre Levers

southernfriedch

Dec 7, 2003
I got my fist puncture today on my new bike and when I tried to remove my tyre (700x23) I found that my plasti levers that I have had for years weren't really up to the job as they kept bending, I ended up using the screwdriver blade on my penknife. What I want to know is what you guys use and where I can get some.
Thanks in advance.
Phil

What sort of tyres are they? I usually find that 700*23 tyres can be taken off without using levers at all, if you put some effort in....and no, I don't have particularly strong hands. Make sure you get every last puff of air out of the tube, it really makes a difference.

As for tyre lever types....I use glass-fibre reinforced plastic levers. They were maybe about £5 (British pounds) and they work even for my roomie's insanely heavy duty, steel-beaded MTB knobblies, so they should be more than adequate for any road tyre. You should avoid metal implements because even if they're nice and blunt and they don't tear the tyre or tube, they can damage the rim.

If your tire (tyre to you guys) levers are bending, they're ****. Get some good ones and they should work just fine. Like mjw_byrne said, using metal implements to remove your tyres can be detrimental to your tubes.