Tyre Liners/Anti Puncture Tapes?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Peter Richards, Mar 29, 2003.

  1. As there are a number of different anti puncture resistant tapes/tyre liners out there, anyone care
    to comment on any they have used and if they have any problem with it chafing the inner tube to
    cause puncture to tube.

    Thanks for any comments.

    regards

    PR

    Tags:

  2. There are. I've used them. They do chafe the tube. To prevent punctures from this.
    1. Move them periodically.
    2. Pass the ends over a lighting match to melt them smooth.

    Overall, these slow you down as they increase rolling resistance.

  3. Peter Richards wrote:

    > As there are a number of different anti puncture resistant tapes/tyre liners out there, anyone
    > care to comment on any they have used and if they have any problem with it chafing the inner tube
    > to cause puncture to tube.

    The least troublesome solution I've found is to use a good kevlar impregnated tyre to begin with.
    Also, worn thin tyres are more likely to suffer from punctures than new thicker tyres.

    It is also a good idea to periodically check your tyres for damage, and patch
    the tyre at the location of the damage even if it had not reached the tube yet.

    While you're there, check and clean your brake pads for grit and such, and keep your rims clean,
    it helps prolong the life of alloy rims.

    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org

  4. "Peter Richards" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > As there are a number of different anti puncture resistant
    tapes/tyre liners
    > out there, anyone care to comment on any they have used and if they
    have any
    > problem with it chafing the inner tube to cause puncture to tube.

    I've used Mr. Tuffys for years in various road tires and they work. No problems with chafing for
    anything. They do make the bike roll slower.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  5. James Negris

    James Negris Guest

    Tried Spin Skins for a while. Defintely NOT recommended. Expensive, a total pain to install because
    of the talc they give you to use, and the cotton backing disintegrates after a while. And, they do
    nothing to prevent pinch flats, which are the most common road tire flat anyway. I concur with the
    earlier poster about getting tires with Kevlar flat protection built in. Don't waste your time on
    tire liners.

    James

    "Peter Richards" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > As there are a number of different anti puncture resistant tapes/tyre liners out there, anyone
    > care to comment on any they have used and if they have any problem with it chafing the inner tube
    > to cause puncture to tube.
    >
    > Thanks for any comments.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > PR

  6. "James Negris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Tried Spin Skins for a while. Defintely NOT recommended. Expensive, a total pain to install
    > because of the talc they give you to use, and the cotton backing disintegrates after a while. And,
    > they do nothing to prevent pinch flats, which are the most common road tire flat anyway. I concur
    > with the earlier poster about getting tires with Kevlar flat protection built in. Don't waste your
    > time on tire liners.

    Have you tried Mr. Tuffy? If not, I don't think you should dismiss tire lines, just the
    type you used.

    Yeah, for me at least pinch flats are the most common form of flat, because my wheels with Mr. Tuffy
    get flats from glass and debris basically _never_. They can be full of cuts, with pieces of glass in
    them (commuting in New York City, etc) with no problems. They work.

    And if you ride tires that are wide enough and sufficiently inflated, pinch flats needn't be
    a problem.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  7. Dougc

    Dougc Guest

    "Peter Richards" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > As there are a number of different anti puncture resistant tapes/tyre liners out there, anyone
    > care to comment on any they have used and if they have any problem with it chafing the inner tube
    > to cause puncture to tube.
    >
    > Thanks for any comments.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > PR

    I use Mr. Tuffys on both my commuter and road bikes and have not had a flat in the 8 months since I
    put them in both bikes(approx. 5000 miles). On the road bike, I compromised and only put in the back
    tire, since most flats are the rear tire anyway. I have seen no problems with chafing of the tubes.
    The strips do make the bike feel a bit slower, but I am not a racer, so as long as I can keep up
    with the group, I am satisfied.

  8. Harris

    Harris Guest

    Peter Richards <[email protected]> wrote:
    > As there are a number of different anti puncture resistant tapes/tyre liners out there, anyone
    > care to comment on any they have used and if they have any problem with it chafing the inner tube
    > to cause puncture to tube.

    You might consider thorn resistant tubes and beefier tires instead.

    Art Harris