Tyre Liners - Mr Tuffy question / problem?

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
I've recently got some Mr Tuffy tyre liners. They look idea - light, strong, no sharp edges etc.
Fitted one to the back wheel of my SS.
It may not have been in perfectly as although its for a 700 x 23 there was some overlap at the ends and the sides weren't perfect either (very hard to get it absolutly right in there).
I inflated the tyre to 110psi (rated at 120psi).

Anyway - I was out for a training ride and BANG!! A blow out.
Stripped the tube out. No reason tyre wise for it to happen.
Changed it etc.

Rode about half a km and BANG !! Another one.
This one was in a different spot where the tyre had a hole(should've replaced it earlier!). The tyre liner should've created a barrier between the tube & the hole though:mad:

Anybody tried Mr Tuffys?
Success? Problems etc?

I'm going to try to email them and see if there is something I'm doing wrong or whatever (I followed the instructions).

Here is a post from a recent thread:-

"Here is a solution that works for me(for my training bikes - not used for racing) and for a friend who's done this for his daily 38kms commute in which he'd average 3 puntures a week!
He's now only had one punture(a builder's staple) in over 9 months of riding!
Get another tyre of the same size (700 x 23). Cut the beading off it on both sides. Take out your tube. Put the other tyre inside your current tyre. Put the tube back inside both tyres. Reseat your current tyre. Inflate as usual.
Your bike will be a bit slower to ride(you may loose 1 km/hour average say) but you won't flat your back tyre!
Only do it to the back for as we all know - we hardly ever flat on the front compared with the rear tyre.
If you do a race etc - just remove the inner tyre = you'll feel like your flying again"

Maybe you should give it a go:D :D :D

Very funny:rolleyes:
That does work (obviously) but it makes for a heavy tyre....Mr Tuffy on the other hand.....:)

Albert 50 said:
Here is a post from a recent thread:-

"Here is a solution that works for me(for my training bikes - not used for racing) and for a friend who's done this for his daily 38kms commute in which he'd average 3 puntures a week!
He's now only had one punture(a builder's staple) in over 9 months of riding!
Get another tyre of the same size (700 x 23). Cut the beading off it on both sides. Take out your tube. Put the other tyre inside your current tyre. Put the tube back inside both tyres. Reseat your current tyre. Inflate as usual.
Your bike will be a bit slower to ride(you may loose 1 km/hour average say) but you won't flat your back tyre!
Only do it to the back for as we all know - we hardly ever flat on the front compared with the rear tyre.
If you do a race etc - just remove the inner tyre = you'll feel like your flying again"

Maybe you should give it a go:D :D :D

Do you have the correct size for your particular tyres?

Not to suppose otherwise, but did you install them properly? I think the BLACK centre band is actually supposed to be facing the tube.

Did you feather the ends? If not, particularily with high pressure tires, the ends as they come from the factory, will cause a blow-out as you described. I have successfully used Tuffy's for years in my commuting bike.

Bigbananabike said:
I've recently got some Mr Tuffy tyre liners. They look idea - light, strong, no sharp edges etc.
Fitted one to the back wheel of my SS.
It may not have been in perfectly as although its for a 700 x 23 there was some overlap at the ends and the sides weren't perfect either (very hard to get it absolutly right in there).
I inflated the tyre to 110psi (rated at 120psi).

Anyway - I was out for a training ride and BANG!! A blow out.
Stripped the tube out. No reason tyre wise for it to happen.
Changed it etc.

Rode about half a km and BANG !! Another one.
This one was in a different spot where the tyre had a hole(should've replaced it earlier!). The tyre liner should've created a barrier between the tube & the hole though:mad:

Anybody tried Mr Tuffys?
Success? Problems etc?

I'm going to try to email them and see if there is something I'm doing wrong or whatever (I followed the instructions).

Proper size for the tire plus powder the tube!! As ya should anyway with any inner tube.

Peter@vecchios said:
Proper size for the tire plus powder the tube!! As ya should anyway with any inner tube.
Although I recall reading someone-in-some-magazine-or-someplace recently saying that powdering a tube doesn't do anything, I also powder the tube-and-inside-of-the-tyre.

However, a minor point, it is my understanding that you should NOT use talc (of any kind) if your tubes happen to have SLIME (and, possibly other sealants!?!) in them -- consequently, the OTHER powder that I think you could use is CORN STARCH.

In my experience tire liners will leave a pretty big cut mark larger than the puncture if they pinch the tube. It will look as if the liner cut the tire. I am referring to the hard polymer ones not the woven kevlar spin skins.

Not that they give problems if you put everything together carefully .

What you're saying seems very reasonable to me.

garage sale GT said:
In my experience tire liners will leave a pretty big cut mark larger than the puncture if they pinch the tube. It will look as if the liner cut the tire. I am referring to the hard polymer ones not the woven kevlar spin skins.

Not that they give problems if you put everything together carefully .

I've got the correct size, I've fitted them as the instructions stated.
Someone suggested that one chops part of an old tube and places that over the join in the Tuffys.

alfeng said:
Do you have the correct size for your particular tyres?

Not to suppose otherwise, but did you install them properly? I think the BLACK centre band is actually supposed to be facing the tube.

alfeng said:
Although I recall reading someone-in-some-magazine-or-someplace recently saying that powdering a tube doesn't do anything, I also powder the tube-and-inside-of-the-tyre.

However, a minor point, it is my understanding that you should NOT use talc (of any kind) if your tubes happen to have SLIME (and, possibly other sealants!?!) in them -- consequently, the OTHER powder that I think you could use is CORN STARCH.

The mag is wrong. Tubes scquirm in the tire. If the tubes are dry and stick to the tire and then squirm, they can pull a chuink outta the tube. With Tuffys, they allow the tuffy and tube and tire to more against each other w/o slicing the tube or anything sticking. Talc, cornstarch, anything like that./ Doesn't matter if the tube is slimed or not.
PLUS makes mounting tire/tube easier, particularly with tight fits(that sounds freudian doesn't it??).