Tyre marking

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by citrinella, Mar 22, 2007.

1. citrinella

citrinella New Member

Could someone please explain how tyre marking for bicycles works. It certainly isn't like tractors :) Tractor rims are measured in imperial units, most modern tyres have width measured in millimetres. A 540/65 R 38 tyre is nominally 540 mm wide, has an aspect ratio of 65 (tyre height is 65% of it's width) and fits a rim 38 inches in diameter.

When I look at my mountain bike, the measurements given on the side wall are reversed - 26/2.1. I guessed that would mean 26 inch rim, 2.1 inch wide.

Nah - the rim is only 22 inch diameter.

So, I was looking for a S/H hybrid / road bike with wheels something like 28/ 1 3/8ths to cope with Edinburgh's cobble stones. Now I guess that is fine, except the first bike I looked at had no sidewall sizing ! but 24" rims, looked like 1 3/8ths to me.

Obviously no sidewall markings suggests the cheapest of the cheap. Probably reflects on the bike (which was originally bought in Oz). However, I'm a curious type and I would like to understand bicycle tyre marking.

Cheers, Mike.

P.S. I notice a lot of talk in metric sizes. I can cope with metric or imperial explanations, thank you :)

Tags:

2. sogood

sogood New Member

3. citrinella

citrinella New Member

Exactly what I was looking for thank you. Much easier in ISO, and I would like 35-622 or 38-622.

Cheers for this, Mike.