Tyre recommendations for TT

David Martin

Guest
I've got a pair of Schwalbe Blizzard (25c) on the bike at the moment for
long distance comfort but am looking for a good competition tyre, 20-23c
clincher.

Any recommendations? They'll be going on a pair of mavic Open 4 CD rims.

...d

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:58:09 +0100, David Martin
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<BD0709D1.1950A%[email protected]>:

>I've got a pair of Schwalbe Blizzard (25c) on the bike at the moment for
>long distance comfort but am looking for a good competition tyre, 20-23c
>clincher.

Schwalbe Stelvios make your bike go like greased weasel ****. I added
nearly 1mph to my average speed swapping from s'licks to Stelvios.

They don't last very long, and they are not the most puncture
resistant, but they are certainly fast.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

David Martin wrote:
> I've got a pair of Schwalbe Blizzard (25c) on the bike at the moment for
> long distance comfort but am looking for a good competition tyre, 20-23c
> clincher.

Stelvios seem to be Schwalbe's Hot Tyre du Jour, and they come in 20 and
23mm 700c as well as all sorts of other sizes. Even available with
attractive coloured sidewall stripes!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

David Martin wrote:
> I've got a pair of Schwalbe Blizzard (25c) on the bike at the moment for
> long distance comfort but am looking for a good competition tyre, 20-23c
> clincher.
>
> Any recommendations? They'll be going on a pair of mavic Open 4 CD rims.

Buy these - £10 the pair plus postage. I've had two pairs off him and
they're FAST (I use them on the same rims). They're really 700 x 20,
not 700 x 25. He's quoting what the box says, but the tyres are marked
20-622.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7298&item=3684791377&rd=1

David Martin [email protected] opined the following...
> I've got a pair of Schwalbe Blizzard (25c) on the bike at the moment for
> long distance comfort but am looking for a good competition tyre, 20-23c
> clincher.
>
> Any recommendations? They'll be going on a pair of mavic Open 4 CD rims.

The tyres on my Giant when supplied were Hutchinson Carbon Comps. They
certainly felt fast but the most noticeable thing about them was the
cornering. I've not felt so confident cornering on any other tyre.

That said, they are race tyres and work by leaving vast amounts of
rubber on the roads so expect plenty of punctures.

I'm not sure where you'd get them from but one of the tyre manufacturers
was marketing a clincher rim fitting tubular. Looks quite neat. Inflates
to 220psi. I imagine they'd be fun.

Jon

Jon Senior wrote:
> The tyres on my Giant when supplied were Hutchinson Carbon Comps. They
> certainly felt fast but the most noticeable thing about them was the
> cornering. I've not felt so confident cornering on any other tyre.
>
> That said, they are race tyres and work by leaving vast amounts of
> rubber on the roads so expect plenty of punctures.
>
> I'm not sure where you'd get them from but one of the tyre
> manufacturers was marketing a clincher rim fitting tubular. Looks
> quite neat. Inflates to 220psi. I imagine they'd be fun.

What size? Do you mean 120 psi?

~PB

Pete Biggs ppear{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc opined the following...
> What size? Do you mean 120 psi?

700C. No.

Jon

Jon Senior wrote:

>> What size? Do you mean 120 psi?

> 700C.

I meant the width. 20 or 23?

> No.

Blimey, 220 psi is incredible... and impractical, I would have thought.

I've seen 125psi quoted elsewhere.

~PB

How hard are they to get on?

Anyone own a pair?

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:18:27 +0100, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:

>Pete Biggs ppear{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc opined the following...
>> What size? Do you mean 120 psi?

>http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/tires/special.php?seriesid=24
>
>Most of their tubular clinchers only go up to 175psi... ("only"? Yee
>gods!)
>
>Jon

Pete Biggs ppear{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc opined the following...
> Jon Senior wrote:
>
> >> What size? Do you mean 120 psi?

> > 700C.

> I meant the width. 20 or 23?

Sorry; 21.

> > No.

> Blimey, 220 psi is incredible... and impractical, I would have thought.

You'd need a *really* good pump. My Joe Blow maxes out at around 160
(From memory). Or rather the gauge does.

> I've seen 125psi quoted elsewhere.

The range is 115-220. The maximum pressure of the tyres I currently run
on the Giant is 120. I seem to recall that tubulars are generally higher
pressure, but I don't know if they have to be, or just that they can be!

What I don't know is where you can get these things.

Jon