Tyre recommendations for TT

David Martin

Guest
I've got a pair of Schwalbe Blizzard (25c) on the bike at
the moment for long distance comfort but am looking for a
good competition tyre, 20-23c clincher.

Any recommendations? They'll be going on a pair of mavic
Open 4 CD rims.

..d

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:58:09 +0100, David Martin
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<BD0709D1.1950A%[email protected]>:

>I've got a pair of Schwalbe Blizzard (25c) on the bike at
>the moment for long distance comfort but am looking for a
>good competition tyre, 20-23c clincher.

Schwalbe Stelvios make your bike go like greased weasel
****. I added nearly 1mph to my average speed swapping from
s'licks to Stelvios.

They don't last very long, and they are not the most
puncture resistant, but they are certainly fast.

Guy
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

David Martin wrote:
> I've got a pair of Schwalbe Blizzard (25c) on the bike at
> the moment for long distance comfort but am looking for a
> good competition tyre, 20-23c clincher.

Stelvios seem to be Schwalbe's Hot Tyre du Jour, and
they come in 20 and 23mm 700c as well as all sorts of
other sizes. Even available with attractive coloured
sidewall stripes!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer Tel 44 1382 660111
ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382

David Martin wrote:
> I've got a pair of Schwalbe Blizzard (25c) on the bike at
> the moment for long distance comfort but am looking for a
> good competition tyre, 20-23c clincher.
>
> Any recommendations? They'll be going on a pair of mavic
> Open 4 CD rims.

Buy these - £10 the pair plus postage. I've had two pairs
off him and they're FAST (I use them on the same rims).
They're really 700 x 20, not 700 x 25. He's quoting what the
box says, but the tyres are marked 20-622.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=72-
98&item=3684791377&rd=1

David Martin [email protected] opined the
following...
> I've got a pair of Schwalbe Blizzard (25c) on the bike at
> the moment for long distance comfort but am looking for a
> good competition tyre, 20-23c clincher.
>
> Any recommendations? They'll be going on a pair of mavic
> Open 4 CD rims.

The tyres on my Giant when supplied were Hutchinson Carbon
Comps. They certainly felt fast but the most noticeable
thing about them was the cornering. I've not felt so
confident cornering on any other tyre.

That said, they are race tyres and work by leaving vast
amounts of rubber on the roads so expect plenty of
punctures.

I'm not sure where you'd get them from but one of the tyre
manufacturers was marketing a clincher rim fitting
tubular. Looks quite neat. Inflates to 220psi. I imagine
they'd be fun.

Jon

Jon Senior wrote:
> The tyres on my Giant when supplied were Hutchinson Carbon
> Comps. They certainly felt fast but the most noticeable
> thing about them was the cornering. I've not felt so
> confident cornering on any other tyre.
>
> That said, they are race tyres and work by leaving vast
> amounts of rubber on the roads so expect plenty of
> punctures.
>
> I'm not sure where you'd get them from but one of the tyre
> manufacturers was marketing a clincher rim fitting
> tubular. Looks quite neat. Inflates to 220psi. I imagine
> they'd be fun.

What size? Do you mean 120 psi?

~PB

Pete Biggs ppear{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc opined the
following...
> What size? Do you mean 120 psi?

700C. No.

Jon

Jon Senior wrote:

>> What size? Do you mean 120 psi?
>
> 700C.

I meant the width. 20 or 23?

> No.

Blimey, 220 psi is incredible... and impractical, I would
have thought.

I've seen 125psi quoted elsewhere.

~PB

How hard are they to get on?

Anyone own a pair?

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:18:27 +0100, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:

>Pete Biggs ppear{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc opined the
>following...
>> What size? Do you mean 120 psi?
>
>http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/tires/special.php?se-
>riesid=24
>
>Most of their tubular clinchers only go up to 175psi...
>("only"? Yee gods!)
>
>Jon

Pete Biggs ppear{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc opined the
following...
> Jon Senior wrote:
>
> >> What size? Do you mean 120 psi?
> >
> > 700C.
>
> I meant the width. 20 or 23?

Sorry; 21.

> > No.
>
> Blimey, 220 psi is incredible... and impractical, I would
> have thought.

You'd need a *really* good pump. My Joe Blow maxes out at
around 160 (From memory). Or rather the gauge does.

> I've seen 125psi quoted elsewhere.

The range is 115-220. The maximum pressure of the tyres I
currently run on the Giant is 120. I seem to recall that
tubulars are generally higher pressure, but I don't know if
they have to be, or just that they can be!

What I don't know is where you can get these things.

Jon