Tyre recommendations

On 2006-01-12, sinus (aka Bruce)

> essendon93 Wrote:
>> Christo I've had no problems with probikekit. The longest I've had to
>> wait for delivery was 2 1/2 weeks, but I've had stuff delivered inside
>> a week. $39.08 for the GP4000 at PBK +18.99 delivery, although if you
>> want black ones they are currently out of stock....bless you ebay for
>> coming to the rescue. I've had no punctures in my GP4000's in
>> 3700km...well I'm not counting the slash.
>>
>> There was a tyre thread last week, just scroll down the page.
>>
>> No problems putting a 23mm on.

> PBK currently has a promotion of another 5% off ending Saturday -
> promotion code X090106

5% pffft!

You can tell that my astronomer genes are still affecting me -- when
various peoples offer 10% deals, it doesn't affect my decision at all.

Now factors of 2 or 3, that's what I love about PBK.

--
TimC
> Bugger you guys.
> The babelfish is idempotent on the set above.

I'm afraid that isn't a very good pickup line either, Tim. - MaryG

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 07:57:02 +1100, a5hi5m wrote:

> Ahhh, so thats how its done. Keep track of how much has been saved, not
> how much I've spent.

Ask any woman to explain it - you actually /make/ money every time you
buy a bargain.

TimC said:
5% pffft!

You can tell that my astronomer genes are still affecting me -- when
various peoples offer 10% deals, it doesn't affect my decision at all.

Now factors of 2 or 3, that's what I love about PBK.

Ahh. Clearly you are single. It doesn't matter how big the discount is, it is the reason that you need to spend NOW. Before the discount ends.

The decision to buy is already made (don't tell the missus) - PBK is the obvious winner on price - a 5% discount ending Saturday is the reason to buy today so that I save her money.

sinus wrote:

> TimC Wrote:
> >

> > 5% pffft!
> >
> > You can tell that my astronomer genes are still affecting me -- when
> > various peoples offer 10% deals, it doesn't affect my decision at all.
> >
> > Now factors of 2 or 3, that's what I love about PBK.
> >

> Ahh. Clearly you are single. It doesn't matter how big the discount is,
> it is the reason that you need to spend NOW. Before the discount ends.
>
> The decision to buy is already made (don't tell the missus) - PBK is
> the obvious winner on price - a 5% discount ending Saturday is the
> reason to buy today so that I save her money.
>
> --
> sinus

Wait, you've been reading TimC's posts for this long, but it took his
decision to not purchase at 5% off to convince you he's single?

:p Sorry TimC :D

Tam

On 2006-01-13, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> sinus wrote:
>>
>> TimC Wrote:
>> > 5% pffft!

>> Ahh. Clearly you are single. It doesn't matter how big the discount is,

> Wait, you've been reading TimC's posts for this long, but it took his
> decision to not purchase at 5% off to convince you he's single?
>
>:p Sorry TimC :D

I really do wish I weren't so socially inept :)

--
TimC
double value; /* or your money back! */

TimC wrote:

> On 2006-01-13, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> > sinus wrote:

> >> Ahh. Clearly you are single. It doesn't matter how big the discount is,

> > Wait, you've been reading TimC's posts for this long, but it took his
> > decision to not purchase at 5% off to convince you he's single?
> >
> >:p Sorry TimC :D

> I really do wish I weren't so socially inept :)

It's okay, you've got a degree in it, it's a skill :D

Tam*physicist*

On 2006-01-13, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:
>>
>> On 2006-01-13, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>> > Wait, you've been reading TimC's posts for this long, but it took his
>> > decision to not purchase at 5% off to convince you he's single?
>> >
>> >:p Sorry TimC :D

>> I really do wish I weren't so socially inept :)

> It's okay, you've got a degree in it, it's a skill :D

In that case, it's about as useful as the rest of the skills I learnt
from the degree.

--
TimC
C Code.

TimC wrote:

> On 2006-01-13, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> > TimC wrote:
> >>
> >> On 2006-01-13, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> >> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

> >> I really do wish I weren't so socially inept :)

> > It's okay, you've got a degree in it, it's a skill :D

> In that case, it's about as useful as the rest of the skills I learnt
> from the degree.

Hehehehe... oh... :S

Tam

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Bontrager race-x-lite - these were great, I chewed the rear out to the
> canvas in 3,300km, the front has done 6000 and is still ok - *no*
> punctures with these at all (until the rear wore through .. but that's
> a given!)

I also have Trek Mad-One and B/R Race-x-lite tyres 700*23C, completely
slick. I found them very scary in the wet. I have only done about 2200km on
a set and I think they are 60%-70% worn out now. No punctures yet but they
cut very easy, very soft. I admit that I pick all the **** out of my tyres
after every ride (I ride on Sat and on Sun only) with extra-fine-point
screwdriver so I pick the splinters out of them before they drill in and
burst the tube. This was my LBS advice and so far it has proven to be a good
one. And I run 100psi/7bar on them front and rear, no pinch flats, not even
on 90psi, but I am not a heavy rider.

I only ride in fitness-training mode, no racing, so I was going to buy
Michelin Carbon next and them I saw your comment about them in the wet! Not
happy.

How long ago did you buy those Michelin Carbons? 2003? 2004? 2005?

I read they have been "improved" in their latest 2005+ incarnation. They
used to be called Axial Carbon last year or year before last. Then Axial
name got dropped and I recall the tyres got "updated" too.

>> Michelin Carbon - they wear ok, but I found them distressingly slippery

> in the wet. Ok in the dry though. Not on my bike again, ever.

> Vittoria Rubino Pro - I have one on my wet weather (trek 1400) bike on
> the front, it's done ~8,000km, no puntures, grippy and fast rolling. I
> like these tyres a lot. I used them for the Warny in 2004. Lovely
> tyres. These rock.

So for fitness/training on a dry road do you think Rubino Pro still would be
better bet that Michelin Carbon? How much longer will M/Carbon last compared
to V/Rubino Pro?

Yuri Budilov wrote:
> "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Bontrager race-x-lite - these were great, I chewed the rear out to the
> > canvas in 3,300km, the front has done 6000 and is still ok - *no*
> > punctures with these at all (until the rear wore through .. but that's
> > a given!)

> I also have Trek Mad-One and B/R Race-x-lite tyres 700*23C, completely
> slick. I found them very scary in the wet.

Yeah? I raced on them in the wet and thought they were fine.
Remember, slick tyres are not a weakness in the wet on a bicycle. Road
bike tyres do not need tread, in fact, tread is a grip *reducer* on
bicycle tyres. It's the compound and flex of the tyre that determines
its grip. Tread is designed to sell tyres to riders who don't
understand how tyre shape works. Like those soft, thickly padded
seats. They sell well, but are bad!

>I have only done about 2200km on
> a set and I think they are 60%-70% worn out now. No punctures yet but they
> cut very easy, very soft. I admit that I pick all the **** out of my tyres
> after every ride (I ride on Sat and on Sun only) with extra-fine-point
> screwdriver so I pick the splinters out of them before they drill in and
> burst the tube. This was my LBS advice and so far it has proven to be a good
> one. And I run 100psi/7bar on them front and rear, no pinch flats, not even
> on 90psi, but I am not a heavy rider.

I never bother with that. I also don't do the "wipe hand over tyre
when riding" thing either. It's supersition, IMO. I get no more or
less punctures than anyone else I ride with, and they're usually caused
by wearing the tyre out and the casing being thin enough that a bit of
glass can get through it (which is the basis for my "2 punctures &
you're out" rule).

> I only ride in fitness-training mode, no racing, so I was going to buy
> Michelin Carbon next and them I saw your comment about them in the wet! Not
> happy.
>
> How long ago did you buy those Michelin Carbons? 2003? 2004? 2005?

'03 I think.

> I read they have been "improved" in their latest 2005+ incarnation. They
> used to be called Axial Carbon last year or year before last. Then Axial
> name got dropped and I recall the tyres got "updated" too.

Improved usually means new graphics and a new box. But sometimes
there's a real difference. In this case, I have NFI :)

> >> Michelin Carbon - they wear ok, but I found them distressingly slippery

> > in the wet. Ok in the dry though. Not on my bike again, ever.

> > Vittoria Rubino Pro - I have one on my wet weather (trek 1400) bike on
> > the front, it's done ~8,000km, no puntures, grippy and fast rolling. I
> > like these tyres a lot. I used them for the Warny in 2004. Lovely
> > tyres. These rock.
> >

> So for fitness/training on a dry road do you think Rubino Pro still would be
> better bet that Michelin Carbon? How much longer will M/Carbon last compared
> to V/Rubino Pro?

I don't know, all I did was relate my experience. Carbon's were ok in
the dry when I used them a few years back, but I ride all weather (even
snow! see this :
http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20041113_climbing_camp/DSCF1352.html
) and a tyre that's **** when wet, I won't use. Will it always be dry?
Carbon bikes don't mind getting wet :)