Tyre Recommendations

Paul

Guest
Having had by first major spill today where my back wheel just seemed to slide out from under me
on a fairly decent, but muddy, road I'm looking for tyres better suited to the type of surfaces
I ride on.

I do a lot of commuting on my bike along normal road but also live in the country where many roads
are little more than roughly tarmac covered tracks covered with mud and manure. I also do a little
light off road.

I'm currently running some cheap, fairly standard semi-slicks (smoothish centre, knobbly outers)
with are fine for both on road and a little off road. Muddy roads however are incredibly difficult
and I need a tyre with reasonable grip here. Contenentials Town and Country tyre looks an option.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Paul.

On 21-Feb-2003, "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Having had by first major spill today where my back wheel just seemed to slide out from under me
> on a fairly decent, but muddy, road I'm looking for tyres better suited to the type of surfaces I
> ride on.
>
> I do a lot of commuting on my bike along normal road but also live in the country where many roads
> are little more than roughly tarmac covered tracks covered with mud and manure. I also do a little
> light off road.

No no, you are looking at this all wrong. You don't need a new tyre, you need an extra wheel. Did I
mention that I'm planning on selling my Windcheetah trike :)

Seriously, mud on country lanes is a right pain. If it is a thin layer of mud with a hard surface
underneath then maybe some cyclocross tyres would be best. Aren't they designed to cut through the
top layer of crud and grip on the harder layer below? Can't say anything specific about brands as I
don't use them, but maybe some of the cyclocross fans on the group will oblige.

Cheers,

Andy

Hmmm, a tricycle does sound good, and perhaps a proper bike with stabalisers a little later.

The tyres I have are pretty good on a decent road and not too bad off road in mud it really is
mud/manure on tarmac that has me sliding all over the place. Unfortunately most of the road around
here fall into the later catagory. The smooth centre tread just skids around as if the were slicks
since the mud isn't thick enough for the outer knobs to play a part.

Cheers,

Paul.