tyre seal

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Nibbles, Mar 15, 2003.

  1. Nibbles

    Nibbles Guest

    hi all, i got me a couple`a ust tyres (michelins) that have got small splits in the walls, is there
    any way of fixing these or should i just chuck em.
    # oh yea, and while im here, im going to box my bike and ship it abroad to
    go riding soon, but im not sure what to do about the rear shock (fox float rc), should i completely
    de-pressureise it befor it goes on the plane, or shouldnt it matter?

    cheers

    steve

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "nibbles" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > hi all, i got me a couple`a ust tyres (michelins) that have got small splits in the walls, is
    > there any way of fixing these or should i just chuck em.
    > # oh yea, and while im here, im going to box my bike and ship it abroad to
    > go riding soon, but im not sure what to do about the rear shock (fox float rc), should i
    > completely de-pressureise it befor it goes on the plane, or shouldnt it matter?
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > steve

    Tyres = history Shock = don't worry...planes are pressured these days

    --
    Slacker

  3. > Shock = don't worry...planes are pressured these days

    Last time I went with a bike on a plane they asked if the tyres had been let down. They were and the
    woman let the bike on. So I'd deflate it. Airline policy afaik.

  4. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    | > Shock = don't worry...planes are pressured these days
    |
    | Last time I went with a bike on a plane they asked if the tyres had been
    let
    | down. They were and the woman let the bike on. So I'd deflate it. Airline policy afaik.

    Agreed. I took mine to canada from uk and had to deflate tyres(tires). Planes are pressurised in the
    passenger areas only apparently. Cargo areas are left. Well thats the reason the airline gave me.

    Either way better safe than sorry.

    Simon

  5. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    | > Shock = don't worry...planes are pressured these days
    |
    | Last time I went with a bike on a plane they asked if the tyres had been
    let
    | down. They were and the woman let the bike on. So I'd deflate it. Airline policy afaik.

    another thing.............if in doubt take the shock off and carry it in your hand luggage

    Simon

  6. Nibbles

    Nibbles Guest

    simon wrote:
    > another thing.............if in doubt take the shock off and carry it in your hand luggage

    i wouldnt carry the shock on as hand luggage, any object with the word "shock" attached, would be
    asking for trouble :)

    thanx for youre advice though guys, i think i`ll just deflate the shock ... and the tyres just for
    good measure.

    oh, and buy the way, just for a laugh, i patched the walls of both my tyres, and after some major
    abuse (mostly urban stair riding and drop offs), the rear has stayed up with no probs, the front
    though, was still leaking untill i chucked some tyre weld into it (had nothing to loose) and that
    seems to have done the trick too. i used to work at a tyre center, and i know that wall damage is -
    for the most part - unrepearable. but hey, when you`re paying 50 odd dollars a pop for a UST then
    its worth experimenting. i`ll probably be writing back here in a while and telling you all how i did
    a nice face plant due to my repair efforts....

    cheers

    steve

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > |
    > | > Shock = don't worry...planes are pressured these days
    > |
    > | Last time I went with a bike on a plane they asked if the tyres had been
    > let
    > | down. They were and the woman let the bike on. So I'd deflate it.
    Airline
    > | policy afaik.
    > |

    > another thing.............if in doubt take the shock off and carry it in your hand luggage
    >
    > Simon

  7. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > another thing.............if in doubt take the shock off and carry it in your hand luggage
    >
    > Simon

    Yuh! And be prepared for the nice men at the Xray station to point things with 'M-16' written on the
    side at you.

    Westie

  8. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "nibbles" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > simon wrote:
    > > another thing.............if in doubt take the shock off and carry it in your hand luggage
    >

    > i wouldnt carry the shock on as hand luggage, any object with the word "shock" attached, would be
    > asking for trouble :)
    >
    > thanx for youre advice though guys, i think i`ll just deflate the shock
    > and the tyres just for good measure.
    >
    > oh, and buy the way, just for a laugh, i patched the walls of both my
    tyres,
    > and after some major abuse (mostly urban stair riding and drop offs), the rear has stayed up with
    > no probs, the front though, was still leaking
    untill
    > i chucked some tyre weld into it (had nothing to loose) and that seems to have done the trick too.
    > i used to work at a tyre center, and i know that wall damage is - for the most part -
    > unrepearable. but hey, when you`re paying 50 odd dollars a pop for a UST then its worth
    > experimenting. i`ll probably be writing back here in a while and telling you all how i did a nice
    > face plant due to my
    repair
    > efforts....
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > steve
    <snip>

    I've never tried it with tubeless, but you could try a regular tube patch on the inside if it is
    only a _small_ tear. I know that it works to some degree on regular tyres.

    Looking forward to hearing about the faceplant.

    Westie

  9. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Slacker wrote:

    >>hi all, i got me a couple`a ust tyres (michelins) that have got small splits in the walls, is
    >>there any way of fixing these or should i just chuck em.
    >># oh yea, and while im here, im going to box my bike and ship it abroad to
    >>go riding soon, but im not sure what to do about the rear shock (fox float rc), should i
    >>completely de-pressureise it befor it goes on the plane, or shouldnt it matter?
    >>

    > Tyres = history

    Mwahahahaha!!!! We've got the Yanks using the word 'tyres'. Welcome to assimilation!

  10. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Small Black Dog wrote:
    >>Shock = don't worry...planes are pressured these days
    >

    > Last time I went with a bike on a plane they asked if the tyres had been let down. They were and
    > the woman let the bike on. So I'd deflate it. Airline policy afaik.

    The plane holds aren't pressurised, as far as I know. I read somewhere that an explosion of a bike
    tyre in a hold can cause significant damage. Personally, I think it's bollocks, but I'm no
    scientist...

  11. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > Slacker wrote:

    > > Tyres = history
    >
    > Mwahahahaha!!!! We've got the Yanks using the word 'tyres'. Welcome to assimilation!

    He meant that spelling the word "tyres" that way is history.

    Bill "a classic olde topic" S.