Tyre size advice please....

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David Pipes, Mar 27, 2003.

  1. David Pipes

    David Pipes Guest

    Fat git is now getting his leg over regularly but finding the OE knobblies are tough going on the
    road and intends to switch to Schwalbe Marathons. Current rubber is 40-622 so would 700C x 32 be
    right? Bike is a Ridgeback Velocity '02 with standard rims described as Alex X10132h which means
    FA to me....
    --
    DP

    Tags:

  2. Ian D

    Ian D Guest

    AFAIK 700c = ERTRO 622 - that's the diameter so fitting on the rim is np. I think that 700x32 migh
    be quite a bit skinnier than your 40-622. The 40/32 is the actual size of the tyre in mm and 8mm is
    a fair bit. (Depending on the fatness of the git and the prevailing ar*e discomfitude :) ) Take
    some advice from your LBS or St John Street is probably the best bet. ian

  3. David Pipes

    David Pipes Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Ian D
    <[email protected]> writes
    >AFAIK 700c = ERTRO 622 - that's the diameter so fitting on the rim is np. I think that 700x32 migh
    >be quite a bit skinnier than your 40-622.
    That's what I reckoned too, hence the request for advice.

    > The 40/32 is the actual size of the tyre in mm and 8mm is a fair bit.
    Methinks the answer may be 35... or 37

    > (Depending on the fatness of the git and the prevailing ar*e discomfitude :) )
    The fat git factor is currently 105kg. Ar*e discomfitude is reducing in direct proportion to the
    number of miles ridden although leg-wobble, red-face and lung-burn still take a while to subside.

    >Take some advice from your LBS or St John Street is probably the best bet.
    SJS is probably an easy hour's ride away for the muscle-thighed brigade
    - a mere phone call for me.... Thanks.
    --
    DP

  4. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:06:10 +0000, David Pipes <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Fat git is now getting his leg over regularly but finding the OE knobblies are tough going on the
    >road and intends to switch to Schwalbe Marathons.

    Gearshift are doing Schwalbe City Marathons (bit slicker than vanilla Marathons) for 20 quid a pair.
    They have 32mm and 28mm available.

    Just thought I'd mention it in case they were of interest....

    Bob

  5. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 07:43:12 +0000, Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:06:10 +0000, David Pipes <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Fat git is now getting his leg over regularly but finding the OE knobblies are tough going on the
    >>road and intends to switch to Schwalbe Marathons.
    >
    >Gearshift are doing Schwalbe City Marathons (bit slicker than vanilla Marathons) for 20 quid a
    >pair. They have 32mm and 28mm available.
    >
    >Just thought I'd mention it in case they were of interest....

    Bugger, I ought to include the url hadn't I?

    http://www.gearshift.co.uk/acatalog/Gearshift_Winter_2002_3_Offers___Clearance_80.html

    Bob