Tyre size and supplier (UK Pref) for old BSA

Hi All,

I am trying to restore an old BSA Roadster (Frame no BSA 7502) and have
hit a snag with the tyres. It uses Westwood Rims (roller leaver
brakes) and one of the existing tyres bore the legend 26 x 1 3/8.

However,,,,,,,

I have obtained a couple of cheapie 26 x 1 3/8 tyres from Halfrauds and
whilst I was able to get the initial bead on the rim without too much
dificulty, the only way I could get the second one over was with tyre
leavers (tire irons for our US cousins).

Surprise surprise, i've holed the inner tube.

I have manage to ease the damaged section of tube out with a view to
trying to repair it and somehow get it back in without taking the tyre
off (anyone had any success with this??)

Failing that, anyone know what might be a better size of tyre for these
rims??

I did see that Sheldon brown lists two bead sizes for 26 x 1 3/8,
perhaps I need the larger? Or is there some other tyre that is (or
used to be) available which is actually correct for these rims?

A lot of modern tires have the diameter expressed in millimeters, also.

For instance, I'm looking at a 26 x 1.25" tire and it also includes '32
- 559'

The size of your 26" tire is expressed as a fractional, as opposed to
decimal size, so it will be a different
'actual' diameter than mine.

Maybe, if you still have the old tires, you could check and see if they
include the 'metric' diameter. This will be the determining factor for
correct tire selection.

Hope this helps you.

Lewis.

*****

[email protected] wrote:
> A lot of modern tires have the diameter expressed in millimeters, also.
>
> For instance, I'm looking at a 26 x 1.25" tire and it also includes '32
> - 559'
>
> The size of your 26" tire is expressed as a fractional, as opposed to
> decimal size, so it will be a different
> 'actual' diameter than mine.
>
> Maybe, if you still have the old tires, you could check and see if they
> include the 'metric' diameter. This will be the determining factor for
> correct tire selection.

Thanks Lewis, but the 26 x 1 3/8 was the only thing still decypherable
on the perished sidewall.

In article <[email protected]>,
([email protected]) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to restore an old BSA Roadster (Frame no BSA 7502) and have
> hit a snag with the tyres. It uses Westwood Rims (roller leaver
> brakes) and one of the existing tyres bore the legend 26 x 1 3/8.
>
> However,,,,,,,
>
> I have obtained a couple of cheapie 26 x 1 3/8 tyres from Halfrauds and
> whilst I was able to get the initial bead on the rim without too much
> dificulty, the only way I could get the second one over was with tyre
> leavers (tire irons for our US cousins).
>
> Surprise surprise, i've holed the inner tube.
>
> I have manage to ease the damaged section of tube out with a view to
> trying to repair it and somehow get it back in without taking the tyre
> off (anyone had any success with this??)
>
> Failing that, anyone know what might be a better size of tyre for these
> rims??
>
> I did see that Sheldon brown lists two bead sizes for 26 x 1 3/8,
> perhaps I need the larger? Or is there some other tyre that is (or
> used to be) available which is actually correct for these rims?

The Bandits of Bridgwater will probably have what you want.

<URL:http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm>

At a price. I should be inclined to attempt to measure the outside
diameter of the rim, and subtract twice the height of the rim walls, in
order to determine as accurately as possible the bead seat diameter
prior to ordering, though.

Never give a gun to ducks.

A shy person wrote:

> I am trying to restore an old BSA Roadster (Frame no BSA 7502) and have
> hit a snag with the tyres. It uses Westwood Rims (roller leaver
> brakes) and one of the existing tyres bore the legend 26 x 1 3/8.
>
> However,,,,,,,
>
> I have obtained a couple of cheapie 26 x 1 3/8 tyres from Halfrauds and
> whilst I was able to get the initial bead on the rim without too much
> dificulty, the only way I could get the second one over was with tyre
> leavers (tire irons for our US cousins).
>
> Surprise surprise, i've holed the inner tube.
>
> I have manage to ease the damaged section of tube out with a view to
> trying to repair it and somehow get it back in without taking the tyre
> off (anyone had any success with this??)
>
> Failing that, anyone know what might be a better size of tyre for these
> rims??
>
> I did see that Sheldon brown lists two bead sizes for 26 x 1 3/8,
> perhaps I need the larger? Or is there some other tyre that is (or
> used to be) available which is actually correct for these rims?

Your posting (plus the fact that I have some time on my hands due to
Netcetra making my eMail inoperative) induced me to create a new Web
page: http://sheldonbrown.com/rim-sizing.html

This has information on how to measure a mystery rim.

I have never heard of the 597 mm size coming in Westwood rims, and the
fact that you were "able to get the initial bead on the rim without too
much dificulty" suggests that it is the more common 590 size, so your
"Halfrauds" tyre ought to fit.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/flats.html#tireinstallation for some tips
on re-installing your tyre.

Sheldon "ISO/E.T.R.T.O." Brown
| The nice thing about standards is that |
| there are so many of them to choose from. |
| --Andrew S. Tanenbaum |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> A shy person wrote:
>
> > I am trying to restore an old BSA Roadster (Frame no BSA 7502) and have
> > hit a snag with the tyres. It uses Westwood Rims (roller leaver
> > brakes) and one of the existing tyres bore the legend 26 x 1 3/8.
> >
> > However,,,,,,,
> >
> > I have obtained a couple of cheapie 26 x 1 3/8 tyres from Halfrauds and
> > whilst I was able to get the initial bead on the rim without too much
> > dificulty, the only way I could get the second one over was with tyre
> > leavers (tire irons for our US cousins).
> >
> > Surprise surprise, i've holed the inner tube.
> >
> > I have manage to ease the damaged section of tube out with a view to
> > trying to repair it and somehow get it back in without taking the tyre
> > off (anyone had any success with this??)
> >
> > Failing that, anyone know what might be a better size of tyre for these
> > rims??
> >
> > I did see that Sheldon brown lists two bead sizes for 26 x 1 3/8,
> > perhaps I need the larger? Or is there some other tyre that is (or
> > used to be) available which is actually correct for these rims?

> Your posting (plus the fact that I have some time on my hands due to
> Netcetra making my eMail inoperative) induced me to create a new Web
> page: http://sheldonbrown.com/rim-sizing.html
>
> This has information on how to measure a mystery rim.
>
> I have never heard of the 597 mm size coming in Westwood rims, and the
> fact that you were "able to get the initial bead on the rim without too
> much dificulty" suggests that it is the more common 590 size, so your
> "Halfrauds" tyre ought to fit.
>
> See: http://sheldonbrown.com/flats.html#tireinstallation for some tips
> on re-installing your tyre.

Thanks for that Sheldon. In fact I did get the Halfrauds tyres on
yesterday. I started again with a new tube and managed to get them on
"by hand" well more like size 10 feet in boots! The "difficult bit" of
the tyres was about 8" long and the centre of it overhung the rim by
about half an inch. it was a real pig - I don't think i'll be doing
any roadside repairs!

Wish i'd saved my money and bought some branded tyres though. Then
again, they may all come out of the same factory anyway.