Tyre Tear ! How bad is this ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by atlantis, Oct 1, 2011.

1. atlantis

atlantis New Member

Hi ! After a 50km ride I found this when i reached home. http://imgur.com/a/wxZ5s#AhNIo Nothing busted as of now, but how bad is this ? Would this get worse ? This is a new bike These are Hutchinson Equinox 650c x 23c, hardly ridden 500 km rgds

Tags:

2. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Doesn't look good, but if there is no sign of a bulge or bump (indicating casing damage), it should be safe enough to ride on the rear. Suggest you keep a close eye on it and plan on replacing it soon. When you get new tires, you may want to look for some with more cut resistance: these obviously aren't well suited for the roads you ride.

3. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

How much to you+bike weigh? What pressure are you running in your tires?

4. atlantis

atlantis New Member

Hi thanks for replying i weigh 73 kg and my bike weighs 10.5 kgs. the recommended pressure is 110 psi, I am comfortable at 90 psi.

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Pretty much what dhk2 said: maybe run that tire on the rear only. Check it periodically to see how the casing is doing. In this case, if the casing gets worn, it'd be a good idea to bin the tire since so much of the casing is showing. I'd definitely by tires with better cut resistance next time.

6. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

90 psi is plenty for your total weight--I definitely wouldn't go any higher than that, you might try a little lower pressure, like 80-85 in the rear; you're not very heavy, so high pressures will keep your tire-to-road contact patch pretty small, leading to more cuts and punctures.

7. atlantis

atlantis New Member

Which would you recommend from these, although I won't be able to afford very expensive tyres :) Jenson usa Continental Ultra Gatorskin Tire Your Price: $39.99 Vittoria Rubino Tire Your Price: $45 Rs Continental Grand Prix 4000 Tire Your Price: $58.48 Rs Michelin PRO3 Race Folding Tire Your Price: $59.99 Kenda Kaliente Iron Cloak Tire Your Price: $34.99 Kenda K191 Koncept Tire Your Price: $13.87 Kenda K191 Koncept Tire Your Price: $22.99 @jpr95
    Yeah my previous thread did open up a lot ideas about tyre pressure and not too fill it to the maximum, I will certainly try 80-85, and let you know !

8. alienator

Which would you recommend from these, although I won't be able to afford very expensive tyres /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif
    Jenson usa
    Continental Ultra Gatorskin Tire Your Price: $39.99
    Vittoria Rubino Tire Your Price: $45 Rs
    Continental Grand Prix 4000 Tire Your Price: $58.48 Rs
    Michelin PRO3 Race Folding Tire Your Price: $59.99
    Kenda Kaliente Iron Cloak Tire Your Price: $34.99
    Kenda K191 Koncept Tire Your Price: $13.87
    Kenda K191 Koncept Tire Your Price: $22.99

@jpr95
    Yeah my previous thread did open up a lot ideas about tyre pressure and not too fill it to the maximum, I will certainly try 80-85, and let you know !

Well, if you want puncture resistance, then the Conti Ultra Gatorskin is probably the best choice of those you mention. Beware that Conti tires have very thin and easily cuttable sidewalls. Kenda tires are known to last a long time, but some have said that their grip is sub-optimal in the wet. The Michelin PRO3 is race tire and isn't known for durability. The court is split on the Conti GP4000s. I've had no luck with them after a few tries, and some others have intensely disliked them, too. Others seem to love them. I don't have any recommendation re: the Vittoria.

It would be helpful if you described what sort of riding you'll do with the tires. It help others make better suggestions.

Other tires to consider are Micheline Krylions and Maxxis Re-fuse tires. Also, Schwalbe Ultremo DD tires are pretty damned good. I've got my bike right now. They've a bit over 1000 miles on 'em, and they've performed well in terms of cuts, flats, grip, and blackness.

9. atlantis

atlantis New Member

@ alianator , I only ride on city roads although roads in Bombay, are certainly not what you have there in The US cities. There are paver blocks as well as the cementing is of inferior quality. I ride an approx of 12-15 km on weekdays and about 40-50km on weekends.

10. alienator

The roads here are varied. Some are smooth, some are severely potholed and damaged, some are gravel, some are dirt, some are some horrible combination that can't be describe with polite words. Once outside the city limits (most of my riding is outside the city limits), the roads have a fair population of cactus needles, goat heads, and glass. In the city, glass is a very common but unwelcome road decoration.

Assuming that the tires you listed are what is locally available, you might want to try the Conti Gatorskins. They're the most reliable and least expensive of the tires you have listed.

11. atlantis

atlantis New Member

Okay !

Just an update after 5 months the tires are still holding good.
    Although a spare pair is ready.

take care