tyre tread direction

Dundonald

Guest
Here's one for you, am I having a dumb moment or is there an obvious
way to identify what direction a tyre should go based on its tread? I
have a tyre with patterned tread and I've checked the rim for an arrow
of some sort that would indicate direction but nothing's there.

Also, this isn't something I've missed, but I wonder how many people
fixing a puncture inadvertantly put the tyre back on in the wrong
direction.

Dundonald wrote:
> Here's one for you, am I having a dumb moment or is there an obvious
> way to identify what direction a tyre should go based on its tread? I
> have a tyre with patterned tread and I've checked the rim for an arrow
> of some sort that would indicate direction but nothing's there.
>
> Also, this isn't something I've missed, but I wonder how many people
> fixing a puncture inadvertantly put the tyre back on in the wrong
> direction.

For most road bike tyres it doesn't matter which way round they go on.

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 20:46:47 -0000, Dundonald <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Here's one for you, am I having a dumb moment or is there an obvious
>way to identify what direction a tyre should go based on its tread? I
>have a tyre with patterned tread and I've checked the rim for an arrow
>of some sort that would indicate direction but nothing's there.

Depends on the tyre and tread type. On many (most?) road tyres there's
no 'direction' to the tread pattern, so unless specified (by an arrow)
I've always assumed it makes no difference. A quick check of the eight
road tyres in my garage (3 bikes plus two spares) shows a 50% split
between those with a direction arrow and those without.

MTB tyres generally have a much more directional tread, particualrly
rears, but checking those (eight again, including two semi-slicks)
shows that they too don't always have direction arrows. A quick rule
of thumb in these cases would be that if the pattern forms any sort of
U or V shape, as it normally would, then when pedalling thies would
tend to push the mud 'outwards', or if you prefer the V itself would
indicate the direction of travel.

Even then, it may not always be true - the Nobby Nicks on my newest
steed don't have arrows, but the front one is mounted in the opposite
sense to the above rule.

--
Ace in Alsace - brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom

On Aug 8, 10:08 pm, Ace <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 20:46:47 -0000, Dundonald <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Here's one for you, am I having a dumb moment or is there an obvious
> >way to identify what direction a tyre should go based on its tread? I
> >have a tyre with patterned tread and I've checked the rim for an arrow
> >of some sort that would indicate direction but nothing's there.

> Depends on the tyre and tread type. On many (most?) road tyres there's
> no 'direction' to the tread pattern, so unless specified (by an arrow)
> I've always assumed it makes no difference. A quick check of the eight
> road tyres in my garage (3 bikes plus two spares) shows a 50% split
> between those with a direction arrow and those without.
>
> MTB tyres generally have a much more directional tread, particualrly
> rears, but checking those (eight again, including two semi-slicks)
> shows that they too don't always have direction arrows. A quick rule
> of thumb in these cases would be that if the pattern forms any sort of
> U or V shape, as it normally would, then when pedalling thies would
> tend to push the mud 'outwards', or if you prefer the V itself would
> indicate the direction of travel.
>
> Even then, it may not always be true - the Nobby Nicks on my newest
> steed don't have arrows, but the front one is mounted in the opposite
> sense to the above rule.
>
> --
> Ace in Alsace - brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom

Thanks Ace.

In article <[email protected]>,
Dundonald
[email protected] says...
> Here's one for you, am I having a dumb moment or is there an obvious
> way to identify what direction a tyre should go based on its tread? I
> have a tyre with patterned tread and I've checked the rim for an arrow
> of some sort that would indicate direction but nothing's there.
>
> Also, this isn't something I've missed, but I wonder how many people
> fixing a puncture inadvertantly put the tyre back on in the wrong
> direction.

If there's an arrow-like aspect to the tread pattern it's normal to have
the arrow pointing forwards on the top of the tyre, but it probably
doesn't make much difference. Off-road tyres tend to be more specific,
but they also usually have a direction marked on the sidewall - if in
doubt arrange directional knobblies so the back tyre digs in under
acceleration and the front tyre digs in under braking.

Dundonald wrote:
> Here's one for you, am I having a dumb moment or is there an obvious
> way to identify what direction a tyre should go based on its tread? I
> have a tyre with patterned tread and I've checked the rim for an arrow
> of some sort that would indicate direction but nothing's there.

If there is a label (or a more promanent label) on one side of the tyre,
it's usually supposed to go on the right-hand side.

~PB