Tyre upgrade 700 x 25c or 23c?

samcrx3

Apr 25, 2005
I'm about to change the tyres on my bike and have some ideas on which tyre to put on. I've got Maxxis Detonators 700 x 28c, the original tyres when I bought my Giant CRX3. I was thinking to put on 700 x 25 or 23c tyres. Which would be better 25c or 23c? Would it make a difference?
Thanks for your ideas. Sam

Sam

You will find CRX3 & 4 rims a little wide for 23mm tyres.

25mm wil fit the rim better,,, ;)

gclark8 said:
Sam

You will find CRX3 & 4 rims a little wide for 23mm tyres.

25mm wil fit the rim better,,, ;)

Thanks for the advise, I was thinking about the 25mm would be better fit on the bike. I was a bit confused because the bike shop said I could put 23mm on the bike (I didn't think it would fit!!) - now I wonder if they know what they are talking about.
My old tyres are starting to wear and I need something with better puncture resistance around here, so I'm not getting the Maxxis again.
Thanks for your sensible advise. Sam

Here in WA we fit Conti Ultra Gator Skins to most CRX Giants requiring better tyres. The 28mm Contis will be ok, they look good on the rims, just keep the pressure up and check the tread for glass after each ride. ;)

gclark8 said:
Here in WA we fit Conti Ultra Gator Skins to most CRX Giants requiring better tyres. The 28mm Contis will be ok, they look good on the rims, just keep the pressure up and check the tread for glass after each ride. ;)

Yep, they are the ones I had in mind or the Grand Prix 4000 700c x 25mm.
I already have the 100% flat free goop in my tubes already which does such a sweet job for the thousands of catheads we get in this area. I was a pure misery before that stuff! Now I can ride with confidence, not a flat yet and it's been 6mths.
Thanks again for your help. Sam