Tyre & Wheel Dimensions, Newbie question

I want replace my knobbly tyres on my mountain bike with slick road
tyres (as on only ever ride my bike on tarmac).

The existing knobly tyres are sized 26" x 1.9".

Will my wheels only fit 1.9" wide tyres or do I have some flexibility
in this dimension?

Could you recommend a budget tyre retailer?

Thank you

James

[email protected] wrote:
> I want replace my knobbly tyres on my mountain bike with slick road
> tyres (as on only ever ride my bike on tarmac).
>
> The existing knobly tyres are sized 26" x 1.9".
>
> Will my wheels only fit 1.9" wide tyres or do I have some flexibility
> in this dimension?

Bound to be able to use narrower tyres than that. Probably 1.5", maybe even
1". Mention any name or numbers marked on the wheel rims and someone may
know for sure.

> Could you recommend a budget tyre retailer?

www.chainreactioncycles.com

www.wiggle.co.uk

www.ebay.co.uk

~PB

In article <[email protected]>
Pete Biggs <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I want replace my knobbly tyres on my mountain bike with slick road
> > tyres (as on only ever ride my bike on tarmac).
> >
> > The existing knobly tyres are sized 26" x 1.9".
> >
> > Will my wheels only fit 1.9" wide tyres or do I have some flexibility
> > in this dimension?

> Bound to be able to use narrower tyres than that. Probably 1.5", maybe even
> 1". Mention any name or numbers marked on the wheel rims and someone may
> know for sure.

Just measuring the width of the rim with a caliper will give an
indication of what will fit - the width across the braking surfaces is
the minimum tyre size you should consider using.