tyre's durability

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Stefan Recke, Jun 13, 2003.

  1. Stefan Recke

    Stefan Recke Guest

    How long is a roadbike tyre likely to live, I mean how many Kilometers approximatly!

    Because I cannot see the tread becoming less???

    Have ridden my current one about 900 Kilometers...

    Do I already have to be afraid of doing the next "Street Downhill" or will it take a few more trips?

    Tags:

  2. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Stefan Recke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > How long is a roadbike tyre likely to live, I mean how many Kilometers approximatly!

    Depends on the tyre and other factors.

    > Because I cannot see the tread becoming less???
    >
    > Have ridden my current one about 900 Kilometers...
    >
    > Do I already have to be afraid of doing the next "Street Downhill" or will it take a few
    > more trips?

    Sounds as though you have a lot of life left in this tyre. They can go for 1000's of kilometres
    sometimes. A tyre is worn out either when it has picked up a big cut, or number of tiny cuts that
    lead to frequent punctures, or when the canvas starts to show through.

    --
    Dave...

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Stefan Recke" <[email protected]> wrote in news:bcc4mn$stl$1 @ns2.fe.internet.bosch.com:
    > How long is a roadbike tyre likely to live, I mean how many Kilometers approximatly!

    Varies with tire make and model. Racing tires may get 2000km or less. Touring tires may get several
    times that.

  4. Harris

    Harris Guest

    Stefan Recke <[email protected]> wrote:
    > How long is a roadbike tyre likely to live, I mean how many Kilometers approximatly!

    > Because I cannot see the tread becoming less???

    > Have ridden my current one about 900 Kilometers...

    > Do I already have to be afraid of doing the next "Street Downhill" or will it take a few
    > more trips?

    It is shot when you see the cords showing through the rubber. Rear tires will wear at least twice
    as fast as fronts. Actual mileage depends on the amount of tread the tire had when new, your
    weight, etc.

    You should certainly get more than 900 km. For a rear tire 3000 km would be reasonable for
    some tires.

    Art Harris

  5. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Stefan Recke writes:

    > How long is a road bike tyre likely to live, I mean how many Kilometers approximately! Because I
    > cannot see the tread becoming less??? Have ridden my current one about 900 Kilometers... Do I
    > already have to be afraid of doing the next "Street Downhill" or will it take a few more trips?

    Tires have a broad range of durability and riding conditions have a range of influence on that
    durability. Assuming that you haven't chosen the lowest quality tire (good casing) you can safely
    ride the tire until casing cords begin to show and then some. From the first sign of cords in a rear
    tire, there are usually about 150km before the tire might burst, not that you should try this but
    that is only to give an indication that cords showing is not the end of the tire but still a safe
    time to make a replacement.

    Carbon black tires, in contrast to colored (non carbon) tires with touring in mind usually last
    for close to 5000km, such as the smooth tread Avocet, Michelin, Continental and others with 25mm
    cross section.

    http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.13.html