Tyres for Mountain Bike

grahamhannigan

Sep 11, 2013
Hi
I'm looking for some advice - I've been riding MTN for nearly two years now and am about the change my tyres (currently using MAXIS). What is the best, most durable tyre to move to ? Should I stick to the MAXIS? I've been advised the Shwalbe and Continental are amongst the best but I honestly haven't a clue what I should be moving to.
Any assistance would be welcome. I'm riding 2 to 3 times a week if that makes any difference.
Rgds.

tyres for MTB are even more specific than road tyres, so the first question would be what kind of riding do you do ?

those three brands are good, you have to decide really within the different models of those brands: the design and separation of the lugs or tread is important if you need to ride in mud terrain for example contrary to even terrain trails, or side knobs for those switch backs and technical corners, so that is one decision, then you have to decide between race tyres or durability, race tyres being lighter, you also need to decide on tyre width which could be betweem 2.0 and 2.4 for example, prices vary according those specifications but race tyres tend to be more expensive (but not more durable as we said), flat protection is important and desirable no matter which tyre, so to summarize i would advice you to choose a tyre with your specific specs amongst those 3 brands instead of zeroing on one given brand (you can afford to do this because they offer equivalent quality)