tyres for the ridgeway

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Sean, Apr 17, 2003.

  1. Sean

    Sean Guest

    Hi all, I thought that sometime over the bank holiday weekend I might cycle the Ridegway (the Pewsey
    to Goring section - or the reverse if the wind does not change!) Has anyone got any advice for such
    an expedition - I am definitely an occasional weekend rider! Also I think I need to change my tyres
    anyone got any recommendations? Many thanks Sean

    Tags:

  2. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    I can't comment on that section. A few years ago two of us did the Bromham to Avebury to nr Wantage
    bit (i.e. further west). We both had nobbly tyres on, and needed them. It was very rutted, with lots
    of falls of several inches at speed, and lots of ruts where you have quickly to choose to jump them
    or go down and up.

    In bright sunlight the reflection off the chalk makes seeing bumps very difficult.

    I think your biggest problem will be dust if you're following anyone. Enjoy.

    "Sean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, I thought that sometime over the bank holiday weekend I might cycle the Ridegway (the
    > Pewsey to Goring section - or the reverse if the wind does not change!) Has anyone got any advice
    > for such an expedition - I am definitely an occasional weekend rider! Also I think I need to
    > change my tyres anyone got any recommendations? Many thanks Sean

  3. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:14:38 +0000 (UTC), "al_Mossah"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In bright sunlight the reflection off the chalk makes seeing bumps very difficult.

    When I first got back into cycling, and bought my first MTB, I was living in Chippenham. That chalk
    is a _swine_ to ride. If it's slightly greasy from recent rain, your only hope is to take the tyre
    off, saw the rim down and ride on the spoke nipples for a bit of traction.

    Over towards Goring, it's much easier, AFAIR. Anything tyre-wise should do, with speed and lunacy
    choices accordingly.