Tyres for UST rims

BumpingUglys

Jan 16, 2004
Hi guys,

I'm currently building up a '01 Zaskar Race and have gone for some factory built Mavic Crossroc Disc UST wheels.

Now i know that UST specific tyres are generally more reliable than 'standard' tyres on UST rims, but i was kinda hoping to put some Panaracer Fire XC Pro's on these rims.

Does anyone have any experience with this setup? Would this work with tyres full of 'Stans'? and if its a really dreadful idea, does anyone have a good alternative? The bike will be used for light/medium XC.

Any advice would be most appreciated :)

BU

Originally posted by BumpingUglys
Hi guys,

I'm currently building up a '01 Zaskar Race and have gone for some factory built Mavic Crossroc Disc UST wheels.

Now i know that UST specific tyres are generally more reliable than 'standard' tyres on UST rims, but i was kinda hoping to put some Panaracer Fire XC Pro's on these rims.

Does anyone have any experience with this setup? Would this work with tyres full of 'Stans'? and if its a really dreadful idea, does anyone have a good alternative? The bike will be used for light/medium XC.

Any advice would be most appreciated :)

BU

I thought the Panaracers were now available in UST standard too? There's also a lot of good UST alternatives you can get if you don't want to mess with Stans. It works really well sometimes, sometimes it doesn't at all. It greatly depends on the tire. The only thing is its usually quite messy and a hassle to set up. The best alternative to me has always been a UST tire with stans for backup. It makes nearly pucture proof tires since UST's are thicker walled and the Stans backs it up really well in case a puncture does happen.

Just checked, Jensonusa.com has the Fire XC UST's for $29. A tad heavy for the UST version at 780 grams though. Might want to consider something like a Michelin Comp S. Its a good all around tire and is ~660g. Thats exactly a half pound lighter in rubber alone.

Thanks for the info Hecubus.

I guess UST tyres aren't as widely available in the UK as the US (all the UK sites i've looked at don't list the Fire XC). Now i know they exist i'm sure i'll have better luck searching.

Also will look at the Michelins, weight, as ever, is a factor, but i'm primarily looking for something fairly puncture proof and so am prepared to sacrifice a little weight for sturdyness.

:)

BU