tyres, liners or both

thepeddler

Apr 22, 2007
Hi All,

I had 2 punctures riding my 32 km home from work today. For me thats 2 to many. Luckily I was carrying 2 spare tubes.

Anway what do people think about putting tyre liners in the tyres I have now? Or is it better to buy tyres like continental gatorskins etc, or the other option is doing both.

The tyres I have at the moment are Maxxis Detonator 700 x 28c.

thanks

Everybody has their own favorite tires for preventing flats. Just don't ride over the glass, nails, whatever:D . Actually, I would go with Kevlar liners if I was having flat problems. With liners, you can use any tires you want.

There is no perfect solution to flats and its a bit of a ramdom event, making it hard to determine whether the new tyres prevented flats or if you were just lucky.

Many have reported the gator skins as being good in flat prevention. I've also seen reports that wet weather grip is lacking.

I use to use the liners, but I was having problems with the tubes puncturing where the liner ends. My conclusion was that they are only worth using if you run at less than 100psi. You probably should use thick tubes with them too.

BTW, I assume you also carry patches along with the 2 spares.