Tyres:which one(s)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by OldNickToo, Feb 5, 2006.

1. OldNickToo

OldNickToo New Member

I want a tyre that is Ok on the road, but will let me get offroad and have a reasonable chance of geting round the next corner.

I ride in West Oz, where there is a lot of pea gravel (real ballbearing stuff) of various depths, some of it on rock. The rest of the offroad stuff is fine sand. I am not racing, but like to take a few risks. I am pretty new at mountain biking, but tore about when younger on some steel beast that prpobably weighed twice what I ride now!<G>

My Yukon has Hutchinson Scorpion Air Lights on it. Now I ride a fair bit on gravel, and have washed out a few times, but find that the tyre will catch you pretty well as it leans over. I run them at about 30 front 35 rear.

I assumed it was just me and gravel, but I started reading reviews by riders and they pretty well said these tyres were total crap! But then somebody always says _any_ tyre is crap! <G>.

Some of these guys claimed to have pinch-flatted them in a test ride in the shop parking lot. I am not quite sure about these people, as I have pounded the fish out of these a couple of times, including once when I did not realise how flat the rear was, I have ridden over sharp rocks, and logs etc, and never had a flat yet....however....

I realise they will be no good on the road, as I have tried it, and can see that they are noisy and will wear fast.

So, given that I do not need a super tyre, is there something that will work as well as the Scorpion, but have a better rolling character and better wear for road work?

I am also finding that every tyre that gets a good writeup has just gone out of production! Maxxis Mimo was one.

I will probably get as mnany differenr answers as answers, but thanks for any ideas.

Tags:

2. OldNickToo

OldNickToo New Member

So if I am riding down a hill and I turn a corner, in the wet, and there is a smooth wet log and I cross it while turning, what tyre would _not_ skid? Everybody seems to say "these tyres skid on wet logs"...and I am thinking "Yuh! Dab!"

3. OldNickToo

OldNickToo New Member

90 cyclist cannot be wrong.

I have decided that since there are no good tyres, I will ride on the rins, and let the suspension do the work. Rims _rail_ like hell, man!

4. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

5. OldNickToo

OldNickToo New Member

6. OldNickToo

OldNickToo New Member

test reply to my own reply

7. Born2bahick

Born2bahick New Member

seems there is no perfect xc tire that does everything well, I run tubeless so the tires with the least amount of traction get somewhat better grip at lower pressures, however not good enough for my needs. I find that giving up a little on the rolling resistance, gives me more options on traction and hard cornering. My personal favorites include the, Panaracer Fire XC, The WTB Weirwolf, Bontrager's Jones ACX, and the Specialized Fast Trac Pro. Your mileage may vary!

8. OldNickToo

OldNickToo New Member

I have some IRC Trail Bears on order. I am chasing some Crossroads Armadillos

We shall see. From what I read I can hardly go down from the Hutchinspin Scorpions that came with the bike! <G>

9. John90210

John90210 New Member

Continental Verticals... take a gander at Continental's website, they're on their but Im too lazy to put up a link for them.

I ride on road, mud, gravel etc... a good all round tyre.

10. OldNickToo

OldNickToo New Member

OK. Thanks. I am checking mtbr reviews now. They seem to get a generally good wrap, with the usual story of complete failure. Maybe some people are just destroyers! <G.

I had almost forgotten I posted this! <G>

11. john74

john74 New Member

panaracer xc fire pros the 1.8 version good for off road and im still averaging 15-17 mph on the road.