tyres

clonsingle

May 30, 2005
whats a good training tyre (low rolling resistance and good puncture protection?)
5 punctures this week on Irish roads:mad: :mad: :mad: , I'm currently using a set of Michelin Dynamic's - good low road resistance but **** for punctures

I used Vittoria rubino intrepid's before but they have a high resistance and are very hard to fit onto the rim (espically on those cold, wet days)

For puncture resistance and good wear I say michelin speediums, armadillo's, gatorskins. Dont worry about rolling resistance for training if you want top class RR you are looking at the veloflex pave's or michelin pro race even conti 4000's.

Personally I believe you must invest in a SLOW! training tyre for extra resistance so that when you switch to race tyres you can really feel your new found strength that you have made on the slow tyres.

Armadillos are indeed bullettproof, great on a trainer but kinda harsh and slick on the road. I like Michelin Carbons as a training tire and then I switch to my race wheels mated with Michelin Pro race 2s.

clonsingle said:
whats a good training tyre (low rolling resistance and good puncture protection?)
5 punctures this week on Irish roads:mad: :mad: :mad: , I'm currently using a set of Michelin Dynamic's - good low road resistance but **** for punctures

I used Vittoria rubino intrepid's before but they have a high resistance and are very hard to fit onto the rim (espically on those cold, wet days)
I've never had much luck with the Michelin slicks either. Conti GP 3000s work great for me; no punctures or cut-throughs in 12K miles. Of course, no tire is "bulletproof"; I'll get a flat eventually with the Conti GPs (4000 is the replacement for the 3000).

The Michelin Pro Race 2 is said to have lower rolling resistance than the GPs, but if you can't keep them on the bike, or have to stop every other ride to fix a flat, that's not a good trade-off.

Over-inflation contributes to cuts and punctures also. If you're running max rated pressure, try going down to 95-100 psi. In addition to fewer flats, you see many benefits, including better ride, handling and road grip, all with no increase in rolling resistance. I switched to lower pressures about 3 years ago; it's the way to go.

I normally find with repeated punctures it's time for new tyres, because the tyres are worn through. So if your were happy with your tyres when they were new maybe the same again? Iv'e had these mtb tyres recommended to me by another forum user (g8clarke). ( I'm sorry I don't Know what type of bike youhave, but I think the conti's come in700c aswell).

1. Conti Ulta Gator Skin Slicks in 26"X28mm
2. Conti Sport Contact in 26"X1.3
3. Michelin XCR Road : 26x1.40

I'm thinking about getting some specialized 'all condition' for either my 26" mtb or my 700c hybrid. I know that they come in both sizes and are 1" thick. these have some tread and are apparently quite puncture resistant, tho I don't know anyone who's used them. I don't know if this is what your looking for, but i hope its helpfull.
yrs, F.G.

I am a huge fan of Vittoria Rubino Pro's. My rear wheel flatted once after about 800 miles. It was a pretty bad cut that sliced through the tire, so its doubtful any other tire would have stopped it. I replaced it with another Vittoria Rubino Pro and it's going strong with a couple hundred miles on it now.

-Matt

clonsingle said:
..... 5 punctures this week on Irish roads:mad: :mad: :mad: , I'm currently using a set of Michelin Dynamic's - good low road resistance but **** for punctures
I am not a fan of M Dynamics, I have seen a couple of bad falls on them and the rolling resistance is poor. As you are in Ireland look around and see what is popular, it may be another brand or tyre type. Advice here comes from all over the world and may not suit your conditions. 5 in a week, have you a good pump with a gauge? Are they at the recomended pressure for the size?

For a 700c tyre in Perth WA, the sand capital of Aus, I suggest slicks to my friends, Conti GP4000, the new Conti Ultra Gator Skin Slick, Michelin Pro Race, but not Michelin Dynamic. Where you live a different, softer compound, for a colder wetter climate is needed rather than here, where fine sand is a major problem.