tyres

dobbs9473

Mar 28, 2013
hi,need some advice on buying tyres or what represents good value..ive gone through two sets of vittora zaffiro tyres,got approx 3000 kms out of each with just two punctures.at a cost of $12 per tyre im just wondering if anyone thinks this represents good value ?? or do you think i need to look at buying something else..any feedback would be appreciated ,thanks....

dobbs9473 said:
hi,need some advice on buying tyres or what represents good value..ive gone through two sets of vittora zaffiro tyres,got approx 3000 kms out of each with just two punctures.at a cost of  $12 per tyre im just wondering if anyone thinks this represents good value ?? or do you think i need to look at buying something else..any feedback would be appreciated ,thanks....
That's an excellent value, at least on a miles/dollar basis. Is there anything about the tires that dissatisfies you? How much do you weigh? What size tires are you using?

very happy with the tyres,probably because of low amount of punctures...i weigh 84 kgs tyre size is 700-23..funds are tight so im kind of tempted to try another set..thanks for your input /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

i also think that you got a good deal on them, if you can stretch them to a couple more K's then its great

dobbs9473 said:
very happy with the tyres,probably because of low amount of punctures...i weigh 84 kgs tyre size is 700-23..funds are tight so im kind of tempted to try another set..thanks for your input :thumbup:
I'd highly recommend considering the 25mm version of the Zaffiros.

Agree 25mm size would be better. Michelin Lithion 2 might be worth a look. Saw them online somewhere for under $30. That's a lot more than $12, but if they last twice as long, the cost is reasonable.

I've found that the rear tire wears much faster than the front, so that replacing both tires when the rear is worn out is a waste. Generally I buy tires in sets of 3, keeping the front on the bike through two rear tires. When the second rear is gone, I'll change the front even though it's not worn through, just to keep fresh rubber up front for safety.

Another way to manage tires is to rotate the front tire to the back when the back is worn out, always mounting the new tire on the front. This method ensures you always wear the (rear) tire out before replacing it, and might be more cost-effective than my scheme, but it's also a bit more work.

You're getting close to 2000 miles out of a set of tires that cost less than $25. That's going to be pretty tough to beat, value-wise. I don't think that you'll double your mileage by spending twice as much.

I weigh roughly 10 kg less than you (15 kg when I'm really in shape), and I can't get 4000 miles out of a set of tires.

guys ,thanks a lot for the feedback ..really appreciate it /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

one more thing,,why do ye reccomend the 25's..the reason i ask is the first set were 25's and they lasted a little longer........

25's ride better, especially under a heavier rider. Theoretically, they should wear a little longer and have just a bit more grip in the corners...depending on a bunch of other factors.

That said, I've had lots of friends in the 185 pound range that rode 23's with no major issues. As stated a couple times above, you're getting damned good mileage out of $12 tires.

dobbs9473 said:
one more thing,,why do ye reccomend the 25's..the reason i ask is the first set were 25's and they lasted a little longer........
For several reasons. Given the larger air volume of the 25's, you can run them at a lower pressure. That achieves two things: a more comfortable ride and a larger contact patch (which means better grip). More grip means faster cornering and better traction in the rain. Tires run at lower pressures also tend to puncture less. Of course there are very few people who don't want a bit more bump absorption on ride and a better ride, and the single biggest contributor to a better ride is lower tire pressure.